Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m trying not to e cynical but this has really brought home how stupid many people are. Friends of mine who last week were posting Facebook memes and jokes about it are now posting that we sho7kd close every school and impose compete quarantines.

At the same time, my colleague who was on call last night was off to the pub and when I mentioned social distancing he jokingly said he’d wear a fat suit to keep people away from him, then he said seriously that the pubs would go bust if people stopped going.

I see Brotish Airways are taking full advantage. Scum

They were excellent in my case for putting off my heavily discounted fair to Austin. Cancelling completely was a nightmare, but rescheduling was fine.

***BOG ROLL WATCH***

Tesco Metro in Byres Road had no bog roll but there was some getting delivered a case of 4 pack Andrex And the same of Eco-friendly Andrex. 

Apparently they have limited bog roll to 5 packs per customer. Apparently some c**t bought 20 packs yesterday.

The mind boggles...

There was also some lassie bumbling about almost walked into me despite the shop being empty as it was 7 am this morning. She was displaying fluey symptoms either that or hadn't been to her bed yet but she wasn't exactly dressed as if she was on a walk of shame.

If I get it I'll track her down and kick her in the pie!

9 minutes ago, alr said:

Hide contents

It's fucking chaos. We're all going to riot and look like this:

zombie-apocalypse.jpg.dff88066c9429fca93ced32738ec3eb0.jpg

Should blend in no problem as it's marching season, imo.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’m trying not to e cynical but this has really brought home how stupid many people are. Friends of mine who last week were posting Facebook memes and jokes about it are now posting that we sho7kd close every school and impose compete quarantines.

At the same time, my colleague who was on call last night was off to the pub and when I mentioned social distancing he jokingly said he’d wear a fat suit to keep people away from him, then he said seriously that the pubs would go bust if people stopped going.

Many businesses may go bust

But with a 3 percent mortality rate as opposed to the 0.1 percent mortality rate of seasonal flu ( which itself kills on average 17000 a year) ...

Edited by Binos

7 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

If only the NHS hadn't spent the last decade having its budget obliterated.

Aye, going from £100bn to £150bn a year in 10 years is "obliterated". That's almost double the rate of inflation and the only part of government spending that has been treated this way.

ukgs_chartSp31t.png

https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_healthcare_analysis

Why do people mindlessly repeat this shite?  Oh, this might be why

ukgs_chartSp21t.png

I wonder how many arses went unwiped last night whilst several thousand selfish fucking morons had in excess of 300 rolls of toilet roll stockpiled up in their garden shed not to even be seen long into 2021. Fucking idiots I tell you.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

I wonder how many arses went unwiped last night whilst several thousand selfish fucking morons had in excess of 300 rolls of toilet roll stockpiled up in their garden shed not to even be seen long into 2021. Fucking idiots I tell you.

^^^ filthy ringpiece imo

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

Some religious people do not use bog roll. There's also a guy at my work who says if he's going for a shower he just jumps straight in after having a shite without wiping his arse.

Dirty, dirty b*****ds.

21 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Aye, going from £100bn to £150bn a year in 10 years is "obliterated". That's almost double the rate of inflation and the only part of government spending that has been treated this way.

ukgs_chartSp31t.png

https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_healthcare_analysis

Why do people mindlessly repeat this shite?  Oh, this might be why

ukgs_chartSp21t.png

Depends what the money is being spent on.  

Admin/senior management doesn’t help. 

Front line is what is needed.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

^^^ filthy ringpiece imo

We have 15 rolls left, no idea how long that usually lasts us! People stock piling that and hand sanitiser to such ridiculous extents are not only selfish but incredibly stupid. 

A lot of that is out of sight out of mind. I am sure in many minds, this was considered an Asian problem and quite far away and thus many comments and memes, stereotyping and lumping all Asians into simplified jokes.

What is relevant here is not relevant in the west and vice versa especially when it comes to news.

Now it is close to home many people are going off the deep end. I see more hysteria coming out of the west than in Asia. Panic buying toilet role is insane!

I don’t think its worth being overly serious about the virus as the impact on the health service and the potential for a huge economic crisis is much bigger. For myself, I am not so bothered about having a stay at home notice for Covid-19 as much as I am for my mother and the wives parents and the impact on my work.

The governments have been similarly lax which is causing the major issue in Europe now.

Rightly or wrongly, When China got a grip they acted decisively and as said before they are now like the striker on 99 goals and hit a lean streak. In South Korea, again they reacted slowly, but when the did it was decisive. Here in Singapore, they have glided through their response plans. They were the first country to screen flights from Wuhan, the day after it was acknowledged. One of the first to ban all Chinese from entering or transiting and issued clear guidelines to companies on how to handle this. The data they put out daily about cases is exceptional and of course, spreading falls rumours online is illegal so we don’t get to see as much nonsense online.
Schools remain open, but there is heavy screening to enter to ensure there is no ‘illness’ inside

Of course it is much easier to affect all this on a small island, but with a population much bigger than Scotland. However they learned from SARs and that is showing here.

The boggling thing is not one western government learnt from what is happening and been done in Asia to be prepared.

I do believe this virus has been heavily politicised which is a much bigger problem.

Simple fact is a lot of people are going to get this. Many with very mild symptoms, some a little more traumatic but most will recover (97% ish, officially, but with the erratic testing and reports it will be higher).

A lot of people will not need to buy toilet roll for months to come unless it becomes a hard currency as this prolongs.

30 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

***BOG ROLL WATCH***

Tesco Metro in Byres Road had no bog roll but there was some getting delivered a case of 4 pack Andrex And the same of Eco-friendly Andrex. 

Apparently they have limited bog roll to 5 packs per customer. Apparently some c**t bought 20 packs yesterday.

The mind boggles...

There was also some lassie bumbling about almost walked into me despite the shop being empty as it was 7 am this morning. She was displaying fluey symptoms either that or hadn't been to her bed yet but she wasn't exactly dressed as if she was on a walk of shame.

If I get it I'll track her down and kick her in the pie!

Maybe they need them for an art project. I did this one at work.

recycled_castle-300x231.jpg

8 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

But how many grand parents would seriously do that?

The grand parents in a lot of situations are most likely going to be living mortgage free but may not have enough monthly income from pensions or have enough savings to help their children financially during this time. But they know their sons and daughters need to go to work to keep a roof over said grandchildren’s and children’s heads. So will feel they can’t say no, a pish situation.

Some wee Irish granny on the news said exactly that, she’ll be looking after the grandkids as her daughter needs to go to work.

I suppose it depends on the age/fitness of the grandparents. No danger I’ll be asking my folks to look after my kids again anytime soon, as my dad already had pneumonia and is not right and my mum has a shadow on her lung. Too risky. Need to see how this all pans out first and that’s supposedly a fortnight away before we start getting the worst of it.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Depends what the money is being spent on.  

Admin/senior management doesn’t help. 

Front line is what is needed.

That's very true, but that's an issue for the NHS not the government. Nobody can say the NHS hasn't been given the money. 

Just been to Sainsbury’s in Dundee.  No toilet roll which is disappointing as I had planned to buy 50 packs.  Lots of tinned foods and dried pasta, which are meant to be the panic buyers specialities, however.

Will also be increasing our donations to the food bank over the coming weeks and months.