Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

What exactly do you think is going to happen to you if you walk past someone in the street?

Calm down man.

I’m practicing the social distancing advice that has been in place for weeks and expecting others to do the same.

I can’t understand why you spend all your time on here when you’re obviously better qualified to advise the Scottish Government than all the experts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52581841
Did you read this about the Dutch? I don't know if they have changed there ideas but if it can happen there it can happen here.
I don't really care, seeing loved ones is what matters.
Cheers. I hadn't seen that.

Seems like an overreaction to me. I wonder if they'll keep their smaller clubs afloat in some way? And are players just fucked entirely?

You need to ask a professor of epidemiology that question not some random on PnB. That seems to be the current scientific thinking so that's the way it's going to be. As I said it's shit but acceptance will be the key. There will not be riots in the streets of Scotland against it. Basically under your schedule it will be game over for any person with underlying conditions or over say 75 so the rest of us can do what we like until we have (if as you said previously) a vaccine. Life doesn't work that way nor should it.

Easy for you to say if you’re a young, relatively healthy person that it likely won’t seriously affect. The selfish ‘f**k the old, they’ve had their time’ attitude you continue to spout is starting to grate on a lot of people now. 
I can assure you that i don't hold that view. It's worth noting that the majority of those in their 70s and 80s will get this and recover.

It's not a death sentence for everyone. Of course age plays a big part, as does underlying conditions. But it's not automatic that those people die (my old 80 year old dad proved it - and the stats back that up).
Yeah, we'll see what the long term impacts are on all fronts. I obviously don't really know their situations in detail but I'd be surprised if a country like Denmark, which apparently started to ease lockdown a month ago, has been economically devastated from this. It goes back to the point about having different standards to begin with but I'd be surprised if the rest of that region's population are looking enviously at Sweden. 3.5x more deaths than Norway, Denmark and Finland combined to avoid a short lockdown doesn't seem like a major success story.
It looks like the lesson here is that shutting down early is the right answer for public health and the economy. As you say, our half way measure looks to have fucked both.

Yeah, i suppose.

But like i mentioned above - as long as the clubs survive.

I also think that older people are some of those most desperate to get back to normal, and plenty of people with a shielding letter will be ignoring it.

(sorry if that refers to the above post. I hate that i can't read the entire post when i quote. If I've forgotten the bottom half of it there's no way my phone lets me look at it. b*****d)

Why don't those frothing at the mouth about returning to the way we were and whining about the speed of coming back or those who think the Govt(s) have got it wrong actually do something about it rather than bitching 24/7 on an internet forum. Get out there and live your life, do what you want, fill your boots. It it stops your constant moaning I'm all for it. In the meantime I'm out of here. Better to enjoy life for what it is rather than wishing it away pining for something you have absolutely no control over. See you all on the other side.
Wow. A bit of an epic resignation letter here. I quite like the debates on here (most of the time). It's good for the soul to open yourself up to other opinions, and i try my best to be respectful.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m practicing the social distancing advice that has been in place for weeks and expecting others to do the same.

The advice is to minimise contact with others and keep 2m apart where possible.

Not do not ever go within 2m of someone.

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

out in the street would seem to me to be firmly in the 'extremely possible' zone

Walking in the road is currently more dangerous than the risk of catching covid-19 walking past someone.

By all means do so if you wish, but don't expect everyone else to be crippled with paranoia

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The advice is to minimise contact with others and keep 2m apart where possible.

Not do not ever go within 2m of someone.

It was possible, we continually stepped off the pavement to make it so.  On past walks others have being doing likewise, far less noticeable today.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Walking in the road is currently more dangerous than the risk of catching covid-19 walking past someone

Not if you pay attention.  You’re just making an arse of yourself now.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

As much as I agree with you on this,the problem with those first two graphs is that you have not included 0 on the vertical axis.

That makes it look like the drops are substantially bigger than they are.

Things are moving in the right direction but there's no need to engage in this type of abuse of statistics.

That really wasn't the intention tbh

20200519_164048.jpg

4 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

Did anyone else notice yesterday at the 5 pm uk government briefing, Professor van tam refer to the 30th February. 

I did.  Kind of knocked my confidence in the whole matter a bit. 

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18458265.watch-english-deputy-medical-officer-says-february-30-days/

5 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

Did anyone else notice yesterday at the 5 pm uk government briefing, Professor van tam refer to the 30th February. 

I did.  Kind of knocked my confidence in the whole matter a bit. 

Yeah, I’ve had no problem with a lack of preparedness, a continually changing strategy or a number of unclear messages from the U.K. government, but that really threw me.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Van-Tam always seems very uncomfortable tbh. I wouldn't read too much into that in particular.

He’s the second most important/senior medical advisor to the government.

I would read a lot into it.

Absolutely mental in south-east London today. Just popped out to get some milk and can barely move on the pavements. There seemed to be no retail employees implementing the 'maximum of 2 people in store at one time' policy, despite there being signs at the entrances. A man squeezed in front of me to pick up some chewing gum whilst I was paying at the till. Bizarre.

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The first few weeks of this “crisis” we were all told a vaccine could be available by the Autumn of this year. Absolute BS but folk still believed it. I’ve noticed in the last week or so more and more outlets are stressing that a vaccine may never be found and we’re going to have to live with covid being around for many years to come. I honestly think certain people (...on this thread) would continue to “live” as we are doing now until that vaccine is found. 

Thats what annoys me. Corona viruses have been around since Sars in 03 as far as I'm aware and no vaccine has been found for that, with vaccine tests being failures. Herd immunity and finding out the best treatment are the ways to beat a virus. What New Zealand is doing whilst its great for the low death toll, the chances of a safe vaccine could be decades away. People need to slowly get back to normality and stop living in fear. News outlets etc just seem to want to spread fear. Onviously repeating what had been said numerous times but the antibody test is all that matters. The sooner we can find out what % of the UK have actually had Covid19 the sooner things can get back to normal. 

1 minute ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

Thats what annoys me. Corona viruses have been around since Sars in 03 as far as I'm aware and no vaccine has been found for that, with vaccine tests being failures. Herd immunity and finding out the best treatment are the ways to beat a virus. What New Zealand is doing whilst its great for the low death toll, the chances of a safe vaccine could be decades away. People need to slowly get back to normality and stop living in fear. News outlets etc just seem to want to spread fear. Onviously repeating what had been said numerous times but the antibody test is all that matters. The sooner we can find out what % of the UK have actually had Covid19 the sooner things can get back to normal. 

In fairness, did SARS not get suppressed out of existence while they were working on a vaccine.

Just now, renton said:

In fairness, did SARS not get suppressed out of existence while they were working on a vaccine.

Yes to an extent, but there are various corona viruses and no vaccine for any. The same may well happen with Covid19, the lockdown has got to the point that it is doing more harm than good, most importantly for mental health and financially

3 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

They've been around as long as the common cold. They developed several vaccines for SARS1 but it withered away due to suppression and/or mutation before they got final approval to go into production.