Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I have a friend working in Norway who says there's not been much of a lockdown at all in Norway.

From wiki

On 12 March, a national lockdown was announced, effective from 18:00 the same day. For two weeks, schools, kindergartens, fitness centres, hair salons etc. are closed. Sports and cultural events and gatherings are banned and restrictions apply to restaurants.[20] These measures are in line with the those introduced in other European countries such as Denmark and Italy. The same day Norway had its first death due to the COVID-19 virus. The victim was an elderly person who died at Oslo University Hospital.[21]

As of 13 March, Norway introduced a ban on visits to Norway through Oslo airport. Norwegian and Nordic citizens, foreign residents in Norway and people continuing to another country are allowed anyway. Other people are dismissed and sent home as soon as possible and put in quarantine until then.[22] On 16 March this was extended to all borders of Norway and Nordic non-Norwegian citizens.[23] Domestic travel continues without any restriction. On 14 March, the second and third deaths caused by COVID-19 were reported.[24]

Again, clearly very different situation than the UK but their lockdown was a lot lighter than ours. Doesn't look like Norway are the poster boys for lockdown.

Edited by Gordon EF

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I could tell folk were getting a bit fed up of lockdown but that clown greeting that he can't go to TRNSMT is the clear winner of the lockdown heads gone so far.

Is it supposed to be pronounced "transmit"? FFS the name alone would put you off. Might as well call it OUTBREAK.

No one wants to live like this but we have no alternative so need to get used to what will be allowed. All business will be allowed to reopen under restrictions until the virus is totally contained or controlled via vaccine. If a pub is allowed to trade at 50% capacity and table service only, that's how they will need to trade. If football needs to be closed door then that's how it will be. It's shit and personally I will choose not to go to pubs, restaurants or on holiday until these restraints are over. They will be one day but there will be no anarchy in the UK, we are conditioned to sook these things up and in business if it's the difference between being able to trade or not each owner will need to weigh up whether it's possible to trade profitably. Public confidence will take years to recover from this as can be seen by the polarisation of opinions even on this limited platform.
It's not the only option. There are many options on the table. It's clear that we all accept that the uk fucked things up early on (surely a given).

We need to have a grown up conversation about what is acceptable to put up with, and what is not.

You suggest that football could be behind closed doors until a vaccine is found - but that will destroy Scottish football.

Are you really willing to give up Scottish football for this virus? I'm sure as hell not.

We need to come out of lockdown soon - and pick the best way to do it. Yes there will be restrictions but our social lives are important. Pubs are important. Football is important.

The virus has claimed many, many deaths (too many due to our slow response early on). It will continue to claim lives until a cure or a vaccine is found.

But we need to find a way for our society to manage the situation. For me, seeing loved ones has to be at the top of the list in terms of easing things - but i don't think that's the plan.

14 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's not the only option. There are many options on the table. It's clear that we all accept that the uk fucked things up early on (surely a given).

We need to have a grown up conversation about what is acceptable to put up with, and what is not.

You suggest that football could be behind closed doors until a vaccine is found - but that will destroy Scottish football.

Are you really willing to give up Scottish football for this virus? I'm sure as hell not.

We need to come out of lockdown soon - and pick the best way to do it. Yes there will be restrictions but our social lives are important. Pubs are important. Football is important.

The virus has claimed many, many deaths (too many due to our slow response early on). It will continue to claim lives until a cure or a vaccine is found.

But we need to find a way for our society to manage the situation. For me, seeing loved ones has to be at the top of the list in terms of easing things - but i don't think that's the plan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52581841

Did you read this about the Dutch? I don't know if they have changed there ideas but if it can happen there it can happen here.

I don't really care, seeing loved ones is what matters.

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52581841

Did you read this about the Dutch? I don't know if they have changed there ideas but if it can happen there it can happen here.

I don't really care, seeing loved ones is what matters.

I did read that.

I think it's a ridiculously emotive thing to say.

If a vaccine never comes / situation improves on its own it's quite the climb down to go back on it.

As noted above, countries went into lockdown following fewer transmissions narionwide, we didn’t even cancel football matches until the league started binning them themselves.

It isn’t much of an over-reaction I don’t think to say that Mikel Arteta testing positive saved thousands of lives. Football was happening that weekend until the news broke. How many people would’ve went to a game that weekend and picked it up?

Remember the Scottish Government saying they’d let the weekend games go ahead before binning them, literally because there was an Old Firm match on the Sunday?

Crazy stuff.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The first few weeks of this “crisis” we were all told a vaccine could be available by the Autumn of this year.

Were we? I wasn't, minimum a year to 18 months was what I was told. With a bit of luck it could be a lot sooner though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/18/coronavirus-astrazeneca-aims-to-distribute-vaccine-in-uk-by-september.html

You need to ask a professor of epidemiology that question not some random on PnB. That seems to be the current scientific thinking so that's the way it's going to be. As I said it's shit but acceptance will be the key. There will not be riots in the streets of Scotland against it. Basically under your schedule it will be game over for any person with underlying conditions or over say 75 so the rest of us can do what we like until we have (if as you said previously) a vaccine. Life doesn't work that way nor should it.

Why do we need to completely eradicate this virus to function normally?
We function perfectly well with other occasional death causing viruses circulating.
If it becomes particularly rampant again in the future we should take short term steps to protect those we know are vulnerable until it dies down again, in areas where it is showing up. Not change absolutely everything permanently on the off chance something may happen until something might be developed.
That notion is ridiculous and needs challenged.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

“Living in near terror” 😂😂 I couldn’t care less if I get the virus or not. 

Easy for you to say if you’re a young, relatively healthy person that it likely won’t seriously affect. The selfish ‘f**k the old, they’ve had their time’ attitude you continue to spout is starting to grate on a lot of people now.