Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

All business will be allowed to reopen under restrictions until the virus is totally contained or controlled via vaccine.

Why do we need to completely eradicate this virus to function normally?

We function perfectly well with other occasional death causing viruses circulating.

If it becomes particularly rampant again in the future we should take short term steps to protect those we know are vulnerable until it dies down again, in areas where it is showing up. Not change absolutely everything permanently on the off chance something may happen until something might be developed.

That notion is ridiculous and needs challenged.

Edited by Todd_is_God

21 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So folk with loved ones dying in care homes, or suffering with mental health issues, families with dementia, those with terminal illnesses are all just whining and bitching?

This lockdown has very real effects.

This. Rather than talk about levels of immunity, number of deaths, or the usual figures, we should wait until everybody has been directly affected by this infection. Then we might see sensible behaviour, and a more rational plan for where we go next.

Cheltenham ran from the 10th to 13th March and is being called a super spreader event. Two days before that 67,000 people were at Murrayfield for Scotland v France, has any analysis been done of that in terms of spread? Considering that the U.K. and France have been badly affected surely it’s likely that it had some affect. England played Wales in front of 80,000 on the 7th as well.

It’s seems crazy that some of the other events that were cancelled by the associations themselves could have gone ahead -Scotland Wales the following weekend, the Premiership in England or the Old Firm game. Imagine that these events had all gone ahead, as they had been told they could do by the Scottish and U.K. governments and their advisors?

I don’t know about the response from health authorities over the outbreak at this Nike event in Edinburgh but looking back it seems very lacking that we had an outbreak where it seems dozens were infected but nothing was done about large public events in the city in the next few days and weeks. As noted above, countries went into lockdown following fewer transmissions narionwide, we didn’t even cancel football matches until the league started binning them themselves.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Cheltenham ran from the 10th to 13th March and is being called a super spreader event. Two days before that 67,000 people were at Murrayfield for Scotland v France, has any analysis been done of that in terms of spread? Considering that the U.K. and France have been badly affected surely it’s likely that it had some affect. England played Wales in front of 80,000 on the 7th as well.

You are forgetting the key difference here. Rugby is placed on a pedestal whereas horse racing is bad.

44 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:
All Mrs Windsor has to do is ask for more money from the so-called Crown estates
Who is going to say no to her
2014: Queen's income set to rise to £40m next year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28030509

I see her heir is encouraging a new 'Land Army' to bring in this year's harvest. I'll be watching on with interest.

I'm looking forward to that cnut with his sleeves rolled up and wearing wellies as he cheerfully picks fruit.

It might inspire me to do the same.

Mind you I'll have to be in my wee electric mobility scooter so I suppose raspberry picking is the answer.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You are forgetting the key difference here. Rugby is placed on a pedestal whereas horse racing is bad.

They're both shite

35 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

At the rate new infections are dropping at the moment we'll probably be sitting on the 10th of July wondering, from a purely covid 19 stand point, why it couldn't be on this year

Because NOTHING events wise is allowed before 2021 as we’d all die 🙄

I think the Nike outbreak is a good example of the affect that this will have in the future. During that week, I went to an event in central Edinburgh, approximately one mile from the hotel on the Thursday and on the Friday I went to the Scottish cup quarter final at Easter Road with 10,000 other fans, that’s just over a mile from the hotel where the outbreak appears to have been centred.

In future an incident like this will probably result in a total lockdown for the whole city of Edinburgh immediately. Shops, bars, restaurants, any public event, people working in offices will all be sent home. Assuming the virus doesn’t fizzle out or we get a vaccine this will be happening in the future.

Could’ve been me, Mark me safe on Facebook Be A Ware etc

21 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I think it's fair to say that hundreds of thousands of people attending are at the very least likely to infect a few locals as well, thus creating a spike in the area they had all happened to gather in. 

The main impact will have been in their own communities but I don't think the spike in the Cheltenham area is a coincidence. 

Also the people that own businesses there that racegoers will have used are more likely to live nearby, as are the peple who worked there. Its not just about the crowd, hundreds if not thousands of locally based people will be involved in putting on an event of that magnitude 

Edited by madwullie

54 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Fs, The TRNSMT audience is 99.9% under the age of 40 and practically at no risk from dying from it. There’s more chance of folk at TRNSMT dying from a drug overdose than covid. As for the Scottish cup final. Keep the old boys and girls away if they’re worried about their health but don’t ruin things for the vast majority to appease the minority 

Considering you've been living in near terror for the last 8 weeks due to being taken in by the fear mongering in the press, I thought you'd have picked up by now that it's not just about the people that attend these events - it's about those they go on to infect, and those they go on to infect, and those they go on to infect 

If the only people who were at risk were those who underwent "risky" activities, I don't think many people would be against letting natural selection do it's thing

Edited by madwullie

Doing some rough maths on Sweden vs UK. Sweden has 4k deaths (rounded up). Half of those were in care homes so 2k non-care home deaths. The UK has around 35k deaths, a quarter of which were in care homes so around 25.5k outside care homes.

On a per capita basis, Sweden's non care-home death rate per capita is well below that of the UK. 15% of the population, 8% of the non care home deaths.

I appreciate there are important differences between the two countries but I still think that's fairly good evidence that loose distancing measures and a much stronger shielding of the vulnerable than either Sweden or the UK has done up until now is the best way forward.

Edited by Gordon EF

55 minutes ago, renton said:

Population growth and climate change will only drive up more of these pandemics, and the next one might not be a low fatality corona virus. We need well defined public policy for this going forward. 

I can barely imagine the level of hysteria if that happened.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Doing some rough maths on Sweden vs UK. Sweden has 4k deaths (rounded up). Half of those were in care homes so 2k non-care home deaths. The UK has around 35k deaths, a quarter of which were in care homes so around 25.5k outside care homes.

On a per capita basis, Sweden's non care-home death rate per capita is well below that of the UK. 15% of the population, 8% of the non care home deaths.

I appreciate there are important differences between the two countries but I still think that's fairly good evidence that loose distancing measures and a much stronger shielding of the vulnerable than either Sweden or the UK has done up until now isn;t the best way forward.

Given your earlier response, I thought you might also do a similar comparison for Norway, Denmark and Finland.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Has it ever occurred to you and Rosey that the root of many of your problems, frustration and anger is the massive chips you both have on your shoulders? 

Please explain.

52 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Fs, The TRNSMT audience is 99.9% under the age of 40 and practically at no risk from dying from it. There’s more chance of folk at TRNSMT dying from a drug overdose than covid. As for the Scottish cup final. 

So far this year something like 850 people aged 15 to 44 have died in Scotland, but only 21 of Covid 19. Drugs will have taken way more.

8 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Considering you've been living in near terror for the last 8 weeks due to being taken in by the fear mongering in the press, I thought you'd have picked up by now that it's not just about the people that attend these events - it's about those they go on to infect, and those they go on to infect, and those they go on to infect 

If the only people who were at risk were those who underwent "risky" activities, I don't think many people would be against letting natural selection do it's thing

“Living in near terror” 😂😂 I couldn’t care less if I get the virus or not. 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Given your earlier response, I thought you might also do a similar comparison for Norway, Denmark and Finland.

For what purpose? The comparison was used particularly to say something about what we should do next. As far as I'm aware, those countries lockdown strategy has been similar to the UK's. We're more likely to learn what we should have done from those countries, less likely what to do next.