Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Other than the work bit, agree. Not really sure how getting a lot people back is going to be however - lots of issues, particularly whether distancing can be enforced and also transport issues. 

Other than that, more of the same. 

It's a shame it was clearly prerecorded, though. Probably the only way to keep a poor public speaker on track though I guess. 

I didn't catch Johnson saying anything quarantining arrivals, although Huw Edwards reported it. 

Did Johnston not say from Wednesday you can go out and sit in the sun? My kids were kicking off at the time so I might have missed a bit. 

Depressing that whilst it's abundantly clear he's helplessly out of his depth, all he has to do is say things in an emphatic voice, point his hands at the screen and chuck in a bit of persuasive language and his supporters will fawn over it. Enough folk to see him remain in power too.

So what exactly is the point in NS in her response saying they have to remain closed if she knows full well she cant enforce that. Just hot air.

There are building sites in Scotland that are already working; not sure if they closed or if they did for how long.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

So what exactly is the point in NS in her response saying they have to remain closed if she knows full well she cant enforce that. Just hot air.

Is she saying ‘have to’ or ‘should’?

I'm pretty sure he passed off the death toll at the start because it's nowhere near the projection of 500k.

Yes he did. Only the second highest death toll in the world. Fantastic! What a load of pish from the bumbling twat. He's just a load of soundbites, over emphasis on every second word and over use of superlatives. Like a British trump

Should as she simply can't make that call legislatively. Nonsense that someone will be able to meet work colleagues in a socially distant manner but you cannot do likewise with friends and relatives. Totally baffling !

Is she saying ‘have to’ or ‘should’?

Just now, keithgy said:

As long as the social distancing measures are in place i don't see why some sort of work cannot take place. 

I sympathise but I know from experience that social distancing on a building site is difficult on many occasions and impossible on some.  

I’ve said on here many times that collectively we need to minimise the spread of the virus, we cannot eliminate it.  If construction was halted until the virus was completely ended then the economic impact would be immeasurable.

3 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
8 minutes ago, Jambomo said:
He said that now the infection rate was going down, now we can impose restrictions on arrivals. Most misleading part of his statement I think.

Surely that point was three fucking months ago. Bumbling fucking idiot

Exactly. I don’t know why the rate of infection in the UK would have any bearing on the fact that you should quarantine new arrivals.

Exactly. I don’t know why the rate of infection in the UK would have any bearing on the fact that you should quarantine new arrivals.

There is logic to this. I’m not smart enough to say what it is, but some German scientist was on the Today programme yesterday explaining why.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Should as she simply can't make that call legislatively

No but she’s entitled to say that x, y or z should happen in her opinion.  She is the FM of Scotland giving advice; it’s up to people and business whether or not to take that advice.

There is going to be some amount of Employer Liability claims in the next few months now. Employees claiming they caught Coronavirus at work and the employer didn't adhere to correct social distancing rules or PPE. Getting people back to work prematurely is mental.