Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Why do boomers default to screeching "AV GOAT A WIFE"  as a response to anything when they can't form a coherent argument?

VT made a good few interesting points last night which were valid and backed up by evidence but got shouted down by a bunch of balloons barking gibberish about their wean and their provincial 3 mile commute.

Edited by Marshmallo

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

Given the lack of ventilators during the first phase of the outbreak it's actually quite likely that people *were* 'refused treatment', on the grounds that they were too old or infirm to have the best chance of benefiting from ventilation. The difference is that in Italy the authorities wanted the outside world to see this on TV to show that the situation had to be taken seriously and get external aid; in the UK they quite clearly didn't because the NHS is a publicly funded state religion and the government would have been crucified for it. Plus the privacy issues in the UK that keep TV crews out of hospitals anyway other than for some gormless VE Day stunt routine by the staff.

Show me the line of the lockdown announcement where it says 'this lockdown will achieve the highest death rate in Europe but if we do nothing then the NHS would be overwhelmed as well'. The goalposts were only shifted away from the 'let's not be another Italy' in terms of death toll once it became clear that the lockdown had spectacularly failed to achieve that outcome.

If people were refused treatment on the grounds of no ventilators I'm quite surprised it hasn't been reported/leaked given the horror etc from what we saw in Italy. I do know very early on one London hospital had announced they were close to that point but had got through it in the end. You're the first person I've seen propose that could have happened and it was kept quiet. Personally I'd have thought it would have got out had it happened. 

When Johnston announced the lockdown was it not the case that the aim was to flatten the curve so the nhs could cope? Clearly it failed in terms of death rate, but when he talked about apparent success that's what he was spinning I thought, that they'd succeeded in flattening the curve / increasing capacity and the nhs had managed to cope. 

Edited by madwullie

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Tbh I don’t think BJ will say much different tonight than what Sturgeon has announced. Unlimited excercise is an excuse to be out the house from morning to night. BJ will probably say about garden centres reopening but aside from that I don’t think it will be much different than the Scottish “lockdown”

If I was told I could go out the house tomorrow for exercise as often as I wanted, I would still only go out once. Being allowed / advised to go out once a day, or being allowed / advised to go out a hundred times a day makes no difference at all to the fact that there’s nothing to do outside, bar queue up at Asda for groceries, or, for excitement, queue up at B&Q for a paintbrush.

Unless I decide to try and become some sort of superfit Mo Farah gym bunny type.... makes zero difference.

Now, if I could do something as wild and off-the-charts mental as getting a haircut, getting my broken tooth fixed, perhaps get a takeaway coffee, ... I might go out more than once a day. 

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Now, if I could do something as wild and off-the-charts mental as getting a haircut, getting my broken tooth fixed, perhaps get a takeaway coffee, ... I might go out more than once a day. 

Good few coffee shops open around me. £2.90 for a flat white on Wednesday was worth every penny.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Good few coffee shops open around me. £2.90 for a flat white on Wednesday was worth every penny.

Nothing here. Last takeaway coffee I had was during the ‘lockdown lite’ period, from Krispy Kreme at Braehead.

11 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

As I mentioned before, masks are pretty much compulsory if you want to be allowed in anywhere in Malaysia. It certainly doesn't seem to be resulting in any irresponsible behaviour as far as I can see.

Must make bank robbing a bit less conspicuous. 

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

It's funny you mention that. One of the things I've taken from the last 8 weeks is that coffeeshop coffee is one area where I'm definitely going to cut back my spending.

I'm quite happy with my shop-bought coffee. It's done me fine for the last couple of months and I've no desire to go spending money on the coffeeshop stuff again.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Must make bank robbing a bit less conspicuous. 

I often subconsciously sing along to songs I'm listening to when walking along the street.

It's made me feel like less of a stupid p***k knowing that most people can't see that I'm doing so.

Definite advantages.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It's funny you mention that. One of the things I've taken from the last 8 weeks is that coffeeshop coffee is one area where I'm definitely going to cut back my spending.

I'm quite happy with my shop-bought coffee. It's done me fine for the last couple of months and I've no desire to go spending money on the coffeeshop stuff again.

I like having coffee shops in the community so will probably be going the other way and buying them more often. I'm enjoying going for walks when the weather is nice so if I'm not doing much on a Saturday/Sunday I'll probably do an hours walk and combine it with a coffee on the way back.

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

Given the lack of ventilators during the first phase of the outbreak it's actually quite likely that people *were* 'refused treatment', on the grounds that they were too old or infirm to have the best chance of benefiting from ventilation. The difference is that in Italy the authorities wanted the outside world to see this on TV to show that the situation had to be taken seriously and get external aid; in the UK they quite clearly didn't because the NHS is a publicly funded state religion and the government would have been crucified for it. Plus the privacy issues in the UK that keep TV crews out of hospitals anyway other than for some gormless VE Day stunt routine by the staff.

Show me the line of the lockdown announcement where it says 'this lockdown will achieve the highest death rate in Europe but if we do nothing then the NHS would be overwhelmed as well'. The goalposts were only shifted away from the 'let's not be another Italy' in terms of death toll once it became clear that the lockdown had spectacularly failed to achieve that outcome.

I have not declined to admit anyone to critical care or refused ventilation if it was appropriate. There has been no difference in our admission criteria due to Covid compared to outwith this crisis. Simply admitting someone to ICU does not necessarily mean they will survive. I would not admit people to our unit and expose them to invasive, futile and undignified treatments when despite what we do they are still going to die. Yes, this is a judgement call, but I have not changed my practice just because of coronavirus.

The lack of ventilators was a red herring. We have and have had enough. The limiting factor was always trained nursing and medical staff. The so-called ventilators that have been produced by various companies including Mclaren are not standard ICU ventilators, but simple positive pressure machines.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Doesn't have a job, wife or dependents type post.

There you go.

Why would someone being married have any impact on their views on the environmental effects of pollution with respect to transport policy?

I'm buckled at folk acting like their 8 mile commute in Falkirk is the equivalent to crossing the Himalayas five times a week too.

Edited by Marshmallo

Guest JTS98
6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I like having coffee shops in the community so will probably be going the other way and buying them more often. I'm enjoying going for walks when the weather is nice so if I'm not doing much on a Saturday/Sunday I'll probably do an hours walk and combine it with a coffee on the way back.

That's a fair point. I need placers to read books etc.

I think I'm more referring to during the working week. This'll break my habit of picking up a coffee on the way to work.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Marshy I don't waste time arguing in good faith with VT directly, much less by proxy.

I'm not wanting an argument. You're generally one of the more sensible poster on here. You've lost the run of yourself a bit with the AV GOAT A WIFE patter on this one.

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Why do boomers default to screeching "AV GOAT A WIFE"  as a response to anything when they can't form a coherent argument?

VT made a good few interesting points last night which were valid and backed up by evidence but got shouted down by a bunch of balloons barking gibberish about their wean and their provincial 3 mile commute.

He said that if people couldn’t get to their work by public transport then they should move house or change jobs.  Possibly the stupidest statement I’ve seen in a serious discussion on P&B.

Anyone White Knighting that statement has some serious problems.