Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

She's not Beverley Allitt by any chance?

Hope Albert doesn't pop up with pics of that munter. 

31 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

My eldest grandaughter works in a Care Home in a village in Perthshire.

The Home usually caters for 30 residents. Now they are down to 16.

No guarantee that the 14 deaths are all due to the virus but it disnae look good.

There can't be much new business for these places. Who's going to voluntarily put a family member in a home right now?

image.png.f4741f2819d4dc9225b95c6f8eb72e00.png

Saw that headline on the beeb football website when I had a wee look (pretty much out of habit at this point rather than giving a shit about 99% of the articles) and my poor, mushy mind has been conditioned to expect a clickbaity, ad filled Top Ten list shitfest along the lines of "Positive 1: Soccer fans are having to spend more time with their loved ones rather than obsessing over the big match!"

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

11 minutes ago, bendan said:

There can't be much new business for these places. Who's going to voluntarily put a family member in a home right now?

My missus has dropped strong hints.  :(

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

My missus has dropped strong hints.  :(

Things must be tough if she's thinking about moving into a care home rather than live with you...

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

49 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Are you touting for business on her behalf, Willie?

It's mair like will she still have a job in a couple of months.

39 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

She's not Beverley Allitt by any chance?

Who da fug is she?

I’ve always felt uncomfortable about the profit concept in social care.  You maximise your profit by providing the least expensive service to residents; hence many/most care workers being on minimum wage and generally poor contracts.
That said, this stems directly from policies of successive governments.  Only a political change will have any impact upon how people are looked after in old age.

It would be wonderful if there's a shift in the public mood around this. Unlikely, i know, but you're spot on about the damage of private enterprise in care (whether it's kids or the elderly).

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/clinical-specialties/respiratory-/flu-hospital-admissions-in-england-rise-by-more-than-40-in-a-week/20039863.article

"Meanwhile, the rate of influenza-like illness reported in primary care is above usual levels for the first time this season, according to PHE.

GPs in participating practices reported consulting 13 patients per 100,000 population with influenza-like illness – an increase from last week’s 10.6 patients with flu-like symptoms per 100,000 registered population."

December 16th, 2019

There was an increased level of influenza like illnesses in the UK in early to mid December.

Given what we know now, I don't see why i'm being ridiculed for asking if it is plausible that these illnesses could be Covid-19 related.

Flu-mapped-Areas-of-England-hit-the-worst-as-hospital-admissions-double-in-a-week-2202213.jpeg

Edited by Todd_is_God

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/clinical-specialties/respiratory-/flu-hospital-admissions-in-england-rise-by-more-than-40-in-a-week/20039863.article
"Meanwhile, the rate of influenza-like illness reported in primary care is above usual levels for the first time this season, according to PHE.
GPs in participating practices reported consulting 13 patients per 100,000 population with influenza-like illness – an increase from last week’s 10.6 patients with flu-like symptoms per 100,000 registered population."
December 16th, 2019
There was an increased level of influenza like illnesses in the UK in early to mid December.
Given what we know now, I don't see why i'm being ridiculed for asking if it is plausible that these illnesses could be Covid-19 related.
Flu-mapped-Areas-of-England-hit-the-worst-as-hospital-admissions-double-in-a-week-2202213.jpeg.7c06182420e65fea541dd3a8fe96b881.jpeg
If you still can't see it, then I can't help you further.

34 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

December 16th, 2019

Flu-mapped-Areas-of-England-hit-the-worst-as-hospital-admissions-double-in-a-week-2202213.jpeg

Dr Jamie Lopez Bernal, head of flu at PHE, has said: ‘Flu is now circulating and is starting to increase in the community, particularly in the north of England.

‘Current evidence suggests that the main circulating strain of flu is well matched to this year’s vaccine - if you are eligible, get your vaccine from GP or pharmacist to ensure you are protected.’

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1213797/flu-map-england-jab-vaccine-symptoms-2019

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-flu-levels-according-to-phe-statistics-2019-to-2020

Friday 3 January 2019

In week 51, GP consultations with flu-like illness increased from 16.0 per 100,000 to 19.4 per 100,000, remaining above baseline levels.

Thursday 16 January 2020

"GP consultations with flu-like illness also decreased, from 16.6 per 100,000 to 14.7 per 100,000, but remain above baseline levels"

"The report also shows that in week 4, 2020, statistically significant excess all-cause mortality by week of death had been seen overall in England."

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-hospitals-breaking-point-after-21172185

From Ireland but still relevant

"Hospitals are creaking at the seams with the unexpected early arrival of the full-blown flu season."

"I think we’re seeing up to 50 per cent of people in our Emergency Departments today with the flu or flu-like symptoms, so obviously that puts a significant pressure – in terms of trying to find isolation spaces.”

It would be easy to dismiss an increase in patients presenting with flu-like symptoms as nothing too concerning when you aren't looking for anything in particular.

I'm astonished to find out we had a winter flu outbreak, in the winter. Good to see the epicentre of the Covid19 outbreak, London, was spared. 

Edited by welshbairn

"If your doctor wants to determine whether your flu-like symptoms are due to flu, another virus, or other causes. Usually only patients with severe infection are tested. When influenza is at a high level in the community, doctors will often diagnose respiratory infections as influenza based on symptoms, without taking a sample to test."

Perfectly plausible to suggest that early cases of an as yet unknown virus which causes flu like symptoms could have been misdiagnosed as flu, when, as welshbairn points out, we would have been in flu season.

There is absolutely nothing to say that Covid-19 could not have been present in the UK by mid December, yet no one is willing to even entertain the idea that it may have been.

Why?

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"If your doctor wants to determine whether your flu-like symptoms are due to flu, another virus, or other causes. Usually only patients with severe infection are tested. When influenza is at a high level in the community, doctors will often diagnose respiratory infections as influenza based on symptoms, without taking a sample to test."

Perfectly plausible to suggest that early cases of an as yet unknown virus which causes flu like symptoms could have been misdiagnosed as flu, when, as welshbairn points out, we would have been in flu season.

There is absolutely nothing to say that Covid-19 could not have been present in the UK by mid December, yet no one is willing to even entertain the idea that it may have been.

Why?

Because there would have been 300,000 dead by now

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Because there would have been 300,000 dead by now

How have you arrived at that number?

300,000 is 0.46% of the UK population.

Based on the few studies into asymptomatic cases etc you would need a greater number of infections than there are people in the UK to produce that number.

Edited by Todd_is_God