Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Care to share?  You’re not obliged of course, I’m just interested in what you do that is so essential.

Were you ordered to stop work because it's not essential?

11 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Any chance of elaborating on that?

27 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

TTI to go live in The Isle of Wight. Is this happening in Skye too?

They're basically becoming a test centre for the next strategy. Test, trace and isolate using a new App that apparently uses Bluetooth that doesn't drain your battery.

6 minutes ago, gc_smfc said:

Agency booked KLM through Edinburgh. 

Weird, my flight was from Inverness, the other legs are still going though.

P.S. Just checked, flights from Edinburgh are bookable for this month, all Inverness flights to Amsterdam cancelled till July.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Were you ordered to stop work because it's not essential?

No I took a conscious decision to close down because what I do is not essential.  That was the recommendation from the Scottish Government for businesses that were carrying out non-essential work.

2 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

They're basically becoming a test centre for the next strategy. Test, trace and isolate using a new App that apparently uses Bluetooth that doesn't drain your battery.

Bluetooth that doesn't drain your battery they say?

tenor (6).gif

8 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Probably just randomly stumbled on a woman who keeps a five figure sum of money kicking around the house without any prior knowledge or inside information.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Care to share?  You’re not obliged of course, I’m just interested in what you do that is so essential.

Freelance offshore worker. So can't work from home, and always have to travel, just so happens the boat is in Norway. 

Not a time to turn down work in the industry considering I'm fit to work. 

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

Probably just randomly stumbled on a woman who keeps a five figure sum of money kicking around the house without any prior knowledge or inside information.

Yeah I was thinking the same.

Just now, gc_smfc said:

Freelance offshore worker. So can't work from home, and always have to travel, just so happens the boat is in Norway. 

Not a time to turn down work in the industry considering I'm fit to work. 

Fair enough.  The worldwide shortage of oil is a huge issue at the moment.  Have a safe journey.

As an aside, as a freelance I assume you can claim the 80% up to £2.5k per month available to self employed workers?

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Fair enough.  The worldwide shortage of oil is a huge issue at the moment.  Have a safe journey.

As an aside, as a freelance I assume you can claim the 80% up to £2.5k per month available to self employed workers?

Getting a bit holier than thou here no?

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

In anticipation of restarting work in the coming weeks I have been trying to buy wall mounted hand sanitiser dispensers.  The kind that have sensors so you don’t need to touch them.

They're out of stock everywhere.  The only one I could find in stock has none of the filler cartridges in stock!

I imagine many small businesses will be having the same problem.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

There's a lot more to offshore than just oil. It isn't just all drilling. There's construction, inspection and maintenance of various projects across oil, gas and renewables. 

Yes, but why claim when I can work? This will be the first job I've done this year, due to prior jobs being cancelled because of the virus.  I can't guarantee that the work I do will still be there at the end of the year never mind into next year. When I won't be able to rely on any government payments. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Getting a bit holier than thou here no?

Christ you’re stretching.  Probably why I rarely engage with you these days.

Yes when we are advised by the Scottish Government that non-essential businesses should/can return whilst following social distancing rules as far as is possible then we will do so.

I put the bit in bold/italic because that will be the best all industries can do.  It will not be 100% perfect in the majority of work environments.

Just now, gc_smfc said:

There's a lot more to offshore than just oil. It isn't just all drilling. There's construction, inspection and maintenance of various projects across oil, gas and renewables. 

Yes, but why claim when I can work? This will be the first job I've done this year, due to prior jobs being cancelled because of the virus.  I can't guarantee that the work I do will still be there at the end of the year never mind into next year. When I won't be able to rely on any government payments. 

Fair enough, like I say have a safe journey.

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

He goes through phases. He's currently going through his sanctimonious stage. 

You don’t go through phases.  You’re consistently the same.

You can decide if I mean that as a compliment.

It will be 3 more weeks of lockdown with more vague hints at lockdown being lifted at some point after that. The media reporting of this makes him think it's all going to be over soon. BBC reporting Italy coming out of lockdown like any day now we'll be the same... their end to lockdown is basically our lockdown never mind the fact they're two weeks ahead.

I get the flu jab and I will not be going on the subway and sitting in an office until I can go to the football. I haven't had this conversation with work but I can work from home no bother and I'm in the vulnerable at risk group. Works out well for me as I'm ambivalent towards my colleagues and cant be arsed with small talk.