Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's a lot of people living in unhappy households, and even more that have mental health issues of all kinds.

Our society has been much more open about this in the last two decades and that's surely a good thing? But it makes something like this much harder.

I agree with jts that Asian countries are definitely more disciplined. I think i read that it connected to their confucioun origins (yon big philosopher dude). He was all about putting the collective ahead of the individual.

The west has done the opposite in the last 50 years. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but you can't expect it not to be a big societal factor.

It's why a lot of older people moan about young folk being snowflakes. I think they're wrong for a couple of reasons but they also have a tiny bit of a point.

Older generations in this country would've coped better - but exactly the same will be the case for Asian countries too. Life back then was shit compared to now and so folk had to be more resilient.

That's a why I said a significant minority. Most people do adhere to the rules, some can't for a variety of reasons.

It's the people @Tynieroseis talking about who are the problem. It's not limited to any particular age group. It is enough of a problem to remark on that there are people who have become extremely stupid and selfish in all walks of life and ages.

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Plural of anecdote not being data and all but most of the meltdowns at being told not to do unnecessary things in this thread have come from over 50s. It took a couple of weeks of daily phonecalls from me and my siblings to get my over 70s parents to take it seriously.

I'm sure they're taking it seriously now, and not having drinks parties with their neighbours every night of the week, or having a bbq every night and inviting the whole street, or going out walking for hours, or going to the shops every day - in pairs - or driving 40 miles each way for their exercise, etc.

17 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'm fully aware of how difficult the situation is, however that doesn't excuse the fact that the great british public do not have the ability or fortitude to cope with a fairly lenient lockdown.

There is no chance they could cope with the level of lockdown in Spain, Asia etc.  

We're too arrogant a nation for that, too soft, too pampered.  It's embarrassing the amount of entitled arseholes with house parties etc because they don't have the brain power or determination to abide by the rules.   

Queuing as a couple  to buy paint for christ sake.  Really, we live in a world with so much technology that can  keep us in touch and keep us occupied.  Read a book, listen to music, learn a language, do your exercise.  I hate to agree with Piers Morgan but by f**k he was right, we aren't sending people over the top at the Somme, we aren't rationing food, we aren't hanging power outages, we are asking people to observe a lenient lockdown.  Nobody said it's easy but it's entirely doable.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people  that are either so thick or so selfish that they won't even adhere to a lockdown for the benefit of everyone.

We are a tin pot joke of a nation from central government downwards.  The only thing we lead on is hubris.

Hes Right GIF by moodman

23 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'm fully aware of how difficult the situation is, however that doesn't excuse the fact that the great british public do not have the ability or fortitude to cope with a fairly lenient lockdown.

There is no chance they could cope with the level of lockdown in Spain, Asia etc.  

We're too arrogant a nation for that, too soft, too pampered.  It's embarrassing the amount of entitled arseholes with house parties etc because they don't have the brain power or determination to abide by the rules.   

Queuing as a couple  to buy paint for christ sake.  Really, we live in a world with so much technology that can  keep us in touch and keep us occupied.  Read a book, listen to music, learn a language, do your exercise.  I hate to agree with Piers Morgan but by f**k he was right, we aren't sending people over the top at the Somme, we aren't rationing food, we aren't hanging power outages, we are asking people to observe a lenient lockdown.  Nobody said it's easy but it's entirely doable.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people  that are either so thick or so selfish that they won't even adhere to a lockdown for the benefit of everyone.

We are a tin pot joke of a nation from central government downwards.  The only thing we lead on is hubris.

I hate to be seen to defend Britain but I think the same thing is happening in every European nation, or at least Western European.

Although our government is blatantly more incompetent.

And plenty of parts of Asia where they have far too much control over their citizens.

Exactly, far too many people treat Asia like some homogenous blob, talking about Asian food, Asian women, Asian philosophy, et cetera when such things vary massively across the continent.

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

That's a massive generalisation. There are plenty of countries in Asia which aren't particularly disciplined and where the state has little control over it's subjects.

Agreed. There's huge variation in conditions. Lockdown might be maintained in cities in countries with stricter Government, but countries like China and India have rural areas with populations who won't know who the Government is never mind what they say.

6 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

At some point people are going to come out and test the water, if the hospitals start filling up they will go back inside.

You're not allowed to go to the beach, either...

What I don't understand re the care homes is we are being told that the NHS is coping and there is plenty critical care capacity. Why are people who are dying in care homes not being taken to hospital to fill these beds and receive medical assistance?

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

What I don't understand re the care homes is we are being told that the NHS is coping and there is plenty critical care capacity. Why are people who are dying in care homes not being taken to hospital to fill these beds and receive medical assistance?

They're old...and l hope some sort of informed decision is considered about transferring them, but I suspect not.

After a lockdown is relaxed and especially when schools/ a lot of workers go back to their jobs, surely a second peak/new wave is inevitable. Even with contract tracing and isolating, if it is as virulent as predicted (each person infects 3 others) this will continue until most people have had it and tens of thousands more have died. 

It either seems like the choice is lockdown until vaccine and 'relatively' few deaths or back to close to normal and lots of deaths. I'm struggling to see how a happy medium can be achieved short term (the next 3 or 4 months)

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I assumed that my oldest would be off till August, and was surprised to see schools come back into the discussion recently with some papers touting them opening again in May.

Social distancing of one form or another will be around until the end of this, and probably will see pubs be the last thing we get back, but once again, they are going to have to start somewhere and take risks at some point. Surely no one believes the current measures are suitable until there is no covid anywhere.

It wouldnt surprise me if kids were first back into the firing line tbh. It seems like the whole point of the letter to vulnerable and elderly folk is setting them up for more stringent restrictions for longer, whilst younger folk get let back out the house. The two or more tier system will begin on May 11th IMO.

If we could keep the pubs closed until that cúnt Tim Martin loses absolutely everything, that would be nice. All possible help given to independent outlets, natch.

8 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I’m not sure there’s that many not working now that we would strictly need.  Surely the roles we need are those that keep the country going in times of crisis?  The vast majority not working now aren’t in necessary roles, anything we can just stop using/doing for weeks/months can’t be that important.

If you start thinking about what is relied upon to keep a hospital going the number of people involved is enormous. Designing, building and creating mass production for all the equipment to make it affordable, from rocks in the ground and oil to the finished product. Keeping all the staff fed, clothed, housed and entertained, and they and their children educated. All the financial systems to enable exchange and payment. Media to advertise recruitment. Travel to and from work and holidays to keep them sane. Battening down the hatches and just relying on emergency workers to keep things ticking over can only work for a limited time before everything falls apart, and you start realising why you needed that useless twat after all.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

When they introduced the Covid law they basically said f**k the care homes.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

We aren't that far away from the economy v lives balance tipping towards the economy.

They will start to try and get people back into the workplace, schools in the next few months.

They will argue that banning sporting events and pubs etc will show they're serious about tackling the virus until a vaccine is found.

People in this country do not have the resilience to maintain a lockdown for much longer and the authorities do not have the ability to enforce it. 

People are reporting how much busier it has been in the last week, footage of wallopers queuing outside B&Q for paint as they're bored shows the mental resilience of this pampered generation.

The government aren't going to sit and watch the economy completely tank long term, they're tories, they can't.

They will also be helped by the general public mood changing as frustration and boredom becomes too much.

I had to go to B&Q yesterday, for a replacement flush for our downstairs toilet. I've got one ordered from the net, but it hasn't turned up yet, and yesterday was the last day till the weekend I could get the job done, so off for an hour of queueing and five minutes of shopping I went.

Once I actually got in, the place was full of older people (mainly couples, despite there being a one-person-only rule), with trolleys full of bedding plants. There was a smattering of younger folk (under 40ish) with DIY or building materials,but mainly it was like being in a remake of cocoon, with added lobelia.

I did buy a large tub of Ronseal stuff for the fence, but I was there anyway, and would quite happily leave that job for a month or so - certainly wouldn't have gone just for that.

40 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's a why I said a significant minority. Most people do adhere to the rules, some can't for a variety of reasons.

It's the people @Tynieroseis talking about who are the problem. It's not limited to any particular age group. It is enough of a problem to remark on that there are people who have become extremely stupid and selfish in all walks of life and ages.

I'm not convinced people are any more stupid or selfish than they were in the past. I'm in my fifties and I remember how utterly shite a lot of people were when I was young.