Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Apologies if already posted; an interesting piece on the economic impact of Covid-19 on individual British Cities, in terms of Jobs, exposure/risk and the recovery factor. Aberdeen a prominent mention.
https://www.centreforcities.org/blog/what-does-the-covid-19-crisis-mean-for-the-economies-of-british-cities-and-large-towns/

4 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Apologies if already posted; an interesting piece on the economic impact of Covid-19 on individual British Cities, in terms of Jobs, exposure/risk and the recovery factor. Aberdeen a prominent mention.
https://www.centreforcities.org/blog/what-does-the-covid-19-crisis-mean-for-the-economies-of-british-cities-and-large-towns/

Share-of-jobs-exposed-to-the-immediate-eAberdeen being hit worst in terms of the economy but in terms of cases and deaths, we're not doing badly. Edinburgh and Dundee doing better economically but I'm pretty sure Tayside has a fairly high infection rate.

Not sure what that tells us. Aberdonians will be alive but unemployed.

53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My view is that if you're in the supermarket for food anyway then it's not a problem to buy extra items which might not be considered "essential", but that you shouldn't be making a specific journey to buy them. For example, I picked up a reduced PS4 game when I was in Asda a couple of weeks ago - obviously I didn't absolutely need it, but I was in the shop anyway so it wasn't like I was increasing the risk of spreading the disease. However, walking to Asda to specifically buy the game would clearly have been out of order.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Common sense really.

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

The highlands isn’t due to peak until late May. Pretty certain Raigmore is very quiet right now.

I don't really understand this, surely with the lockdown now being in place for the past 4 weeks, the main peak will have been hit throughout the country ?

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I don't really understand this, surely with the lockdown now being in place for the past 4 weeks, the main peak will have been hit throughout the country ?

I don’t understand it either maybe my parents are talking shite. 

29 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

A huge disparity in figures between the ONS and the Government.

The problem with that is the word "estimate"

As discussed elsewhere, "excess deaths" could also be caused by people who would otherwise have sought treatment staying away from hospitals for fear of catching covid-19 and dying as a result.

It doesn't mean they have died of Covid-19

Edited by Todd_is_God

56 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Maybe if Aberdeen had a more capable council that invested properly in the city, the exposure to oil and gas wouldn't hit the area as hard when things get rough. 

And that applies in spades to the UK government's wasting of oil revenues as well.

Not arguing with your point on Aberdeen council though. They are a waste of space.

56 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The problem with that is the word "estimate"

As discussed elsewhere, "excess deaths" could also be caused by people who would otherwise have sought treatment staying away from hospitals for fear of catching covid-19 and dying as a result.

It doesn't mean they have died of Covid-19

You’re becoming a bit of an ostrich on a beach looking for a hole.

Innuendos and puns about getting your hole on the beach expected.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

There was a report on Channel 4 News last night from Turkey, they put technical schools into action producing masks and gowns and essentially commandeered garmet factories and workshops to produce them.  They are now obviously exporting it, case being the planeful that was delivered today to the UK.  Does the UK have those sorts of capacities?  Usually these products are very low cost with low margins, I assume that the production of them is generally focussed on places with lower wage costs but I've not seen any evidence for that.   There have also been issues with getting the correct PPE in Italy and France.  

Also, here's a chart of YouGov responses for what people think are reasonable excuses for being out and how that tallies to the laws

Incredible that there’s even a minuscule percentage of people who think delivering a food package to a vulnerable person or a key worker going to their work are both unacceptable.

Similarly the wanks who think meeting up with their pals is okay.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Outsourcing is stupid and counter productive who knew!

It's like someone complaining they bought a compass off eBay for a fiver then got lost in the hills. 

Chris Hopson who is in charge of NHS procurement used to be in charge of IT at HMRC, when i worked there. He was giving a presentation about the latest overbudget and dysfunctional system; with my union hat on I asked whether it might be more cost effective to bring IT back in house. He was dogmatic on outsourcing being more efficient. "it has been proved time and time again" apparently. 

34 minutes ago, The OP said:

Source?

The article itself. It says that excess deaths are significant, but it is all causes excess mortality.

The pandemic itself will be the root cause of them, but not necessarily the actual cause of death.

Edited by Todd_is_God

11 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Incredible that there’s even a minuscule percentage of people who think delivering a food package to a vulnerable person or a key worker going to their work are both unacceptable.

Similarly the wanks who think meeting up with their pals is okay.

I think in any survey there are people who just don't have a fucking clue about anything.  There's people who don't know who the Prime Minister is.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

Semantics.  Weeks ago we discussed the possibility of people dying because of reluctance to seek treatment due to Covid, routine appointments being cancelled, scans being postponed etc.

You only have to look at the reduction on cancer referrals to see what's happening.

Even if they did not die directly from Covid it was Covid that loaded the gun.

I'm not going to argue with that as you are spot on.

But identifying the number of cancer patients (for example) who have died due to their treatment being stopped doesn't help in identifying the spread or regression of Covid-19.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The article itself. It says that excess deaths are significant, but it is all excess mortality.

The pandemic itself will be the root cause of them, but not necessarily the actual cause of death.

This is true, but it seems like a reach given I know two people who have died in care homes just after they started testing and (had they died a bit earlier) covid would probably not be on the death certificate. Whereas I don’t know anyone dead from failing to go to hospital for fear of COVID.