Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/all-eyes-on-sweden-s-liberal-gamble-with-coronavirus-1.4233658

Another Sweden article -while they haven’t imposed a lockdown they seem to have a de facto one.

Interesting point made by the Irish ex pat they quote, the pubs are all open there but no-one is going. What would happen here if they tried that? Would people flood back or would numbers be close to zero?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/all-eyes-on-sweden-s-liberal-gamble-with-coronavirus-1.4233658

Another Sweden article -while they haven’t imposed a lockdown they seem to have a de facto one.

Interesting point made by the Irish ex pat they quote, the pubs are all open there but no-one is going. What would happen here if they tried that? Would people flood back or would numbers be close to zero?
People would flood back IMO.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The first day the pubs open here will be like Hogmanay x10

70 deaths announced today.

Not sure why they are reported as "dying in the last 24 hours" though.

It's quite clear Scotland isn't effectively counting deaths at the weekend. Lumping the weekend deaths not reported on Saturday or Sunday on to Tuesday's figures and pretending they have all died in the last 24 hours is odd. And that's assuming they are all lumped on to Tuesday and not spread over a few days.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

70 deaths announced today.

Not sure why they are reported as "dying in the last 24 hours" though.

It's quite clear Scotland isn't effectively counting deaths at the weekend. Lumping the weekend deaths not reported on Sat or Sunday on to Tuesday's figures and pretending they have all died in the last 24 hours is odd.

NS explained the the figure for the past 24 hours was slightly up on yesterday's figure BECAUSE there is a delay in reporting weekend deaths.

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Didn't the christian right or whatever you want to call them have one brief spell of being pro gun control that coincided with the Black Panthers arming themselves?

They did; it's why Reagan, as Governor of California, banned open carry. 

ETA - linky - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

Edited by carpetmonster

7 minutes ago, bendan said:

Which is one of the problems of shutting everything down instead of allowing self regulation.

The problem is, in Britain, the land of selfish entitled arseholes, if you give an inch they will take a mile. 

The lockdown was the correct thing to do. Coming out of it will be as difficult as it is neccessary. The police will probably need to become a bit more heavy handed tbh. Despite some degree of shitty mixed messages it's fairly clear what people need to do atm. 

The waters will get more muddy soon though. 

14 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Didn't the christian right or whatever you want to call them have one brief spell of being pro gun control that coincided with the Black Panthers arming themselves?

That's the thing. All these right wing preppers think they're the only one to carry guns. That's far from the case. I saw a tweet by a more liberal leaning American and they were absolutely packing heat. Not parading about like some rag tag militia but tooled up nonetheless.

22 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

NS explained the the figure for the past 24 hours was slightly up on yesterday's figure BECAUSE there is a delay in reporting weekend deaths.

Yes... I know.

However this is the headline, and she also says this before explaining why.

I've been fairly consistent in criticising the media for creating hysteria; this is another example of it.

Should we assume the 70 is the entire amount lagging behind and this amount therefore covers all outstanding deaths from Covid-19 on Saturday, Sunday and Monday? Added to the 22 already reported that leaves an average figure of around 31 per day, and a 7 day average of 52 with daily deaths falling consistently since last Wednesday.

Both paint a much brighter outlook than initially indicated in the clickbait headline.

Screenshot_20200421-143344_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

That's the thing. All these right wing preppers think they're the only one to carry guns. That's far from the case. I saw a tweet by a more liberal leaning American and they were absolutely packing heat. Not parading about like some rag tag militia but tooled up nonetheless.

I know plenty left wing folks who're armed but they mostly have them for a purpose, rather than clutching on to them as a substitute for rational thought. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

If you're not familiar with her work, she was excellent in the series Banshee, even if she occasionally shagged her uncle.

One of the most batshit crazy series I've ever watched - and none the worse for it. Serious totty for those who like that kind of thing (And Sheriff Hood for those whose tastes ran differently), religious themed Organised Crime, Native Americans with some seriously chipped shoulders, and masses of bloody, gratuitous violence.  Oh, and Job - cool as f**k cross-dressing geek.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The problem is, in Britain, the land of selfish entitled arseholes, if you give an inch they will take a mile. 

The lockdown was the correct thing to do. Coming out of it will be as difficult as it is neccessary. The police will probably need to become a bit more heavy handed tbh. Despite some degree of shitty mixed messages it's fairly clear what people need to do atm. 

The waters will get more muddy soon though. 

Yes, I wasn't really trying to argue against the lockdown, it's just that, despite the hilarity above, we will have to self regulate in all kinds of ways in the upcoming period. We're already doing it a supermarkets and parks, with varying degrees of success.

31 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Wouldn't surprise me. The Black Panthers were one of the positive arguments I've seen from black people around gun ownership.

ETA: this reminds me of a (possibly fake) tale about a passionate NRA supporter withdrawing their support when they realised most of their fellow travellers actually didn't think it was a good thing for black people to have as many guns as white people.

Edited by NotThePars

33 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Always adhered to the opinion that this is a great description for people who are neither.  Utter cúnts, the lot of them - like Tories claiming Christian values while removing society's safety net for the most vulnerable. I repeat - utter, utter, cúnts.

15 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

One of the most batshit crazy series I've ever watched - and none the worse for it. Serious totty for those who like that kind of thing (And Sheriff Hood for those whose tastes ran differently), religious themed Organised Crime, Native Americans with some seriously chipped shoulders, and masses of bloody, gratuitous violence.  Oh, and Job - cool as f**k cross-dressing geek.

Sheriff Hood and/or Rebecca certainly ticked a few boxes for Mrs Par!