Coronavirus (COVID-19)

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Of course. That's how lots of politics work. It's just that it's being painted as stupid Trump stirring up stupid people when regardless of subject matter, you would always see Americans rail against heavy handed govt intervention because a lot of them are intrinsically against over reaching government. It's not as simple as "Those stupid Americans dont understand corona" when In reality they are acting true to form*

*I do appreciate there is a lot of stupidity in the form book but this is nothing extraordinary for them 

They are stupid.  Relying on the fundamentals of a document written almost 250 years ago to inform how you should organise your society without taking account of the changes that have happened since then is the definition of stupidity.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Still getting the vibe that there are people who believe the current restrictions will remain in place for as long as there are people dying of covid-19.

I don't think the media help with this. There are people out there who will have no idea how many people die each day normally in the UK, and when they hear "x amount of deaths due to covid-19" are outraged as they have nothing to balance it with.

The time will come when the government and media will need to show covid-19 deaths relative to total deaths, and total deaths relative to average deaths. It's going to be normal for some time for people to die from Covid-19. Like deaths from other causes, we will have to accept this and take steps ourselves to lower the risk of this, in the same way that we lower the risk to ourselves from other causes of death.

At this particular moment the numbers for Covid-19 are too high, hence why lockdown has been extemded

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The football authorities / clubs themselves deemed it would be impossible to play out the Championship and below, as such, what makes you or anyone else believe that they'll be able to play out the top league ??

Do you actually read before the veins pop out of your head?

Of course we can't play football now. All forms of football are currently suspended in Scotland until 10th June, which is the correct thing to do in the current situation.

None of that has absolutely any bearing on whether or not season 2020/21 can start in August.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Do you actually read before the veins pop out of your head?

Of course we can't play football now. All forms of football are currently suspended in Scotland until 10th June, which is the correct thing to do in the current situation.

None of that has absolutely any bearing on whether or not season 2020/21 can start in August.

That question can't be answered just now and the football authorities, despite all their lobbying, will have little say in the matter.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

We have a vaccine for the flu.

That's of little consolation to the 32,763 people in the UK who've apparently died of it this year.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's of little consolation to the 32,763 people in the UK who've apparently died of it this year.

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

We do, but it’s not 100% foolproof. 

It's also not routinely given to the population at large.

Given that it is aimed mostly at the same group who are most at risk from dying from Covid-19 that it isn't that close to being 100% effective isn't a great endorsement.

Of course. That's how lots of politics work. It's just that it's being painted as stupid Trump stirring up stupid people when regardless of subject matter, you would always see Americans rail against heavy handed govt intervention because a lot of them are intrinsically against over reaching government. It's not as simple as "Those stupid Americans dont understand corona" when In reality they are acting true to form*

*I do appreciate there is a lot of stupidity in the form book but this is nothing extraordinary for them 

The difference in this case is that Trump encourages their rebellion against, erm, presidential overreach in order to pass the buck when it comes to federal dillydallying.

It’s not heavy handed government they oppose; it’s all federal government.

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

We have a vaccine for the flu.

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

We do, but it’s not 100% foolproof. 

It's a lot better than no vaccine

18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think the media help with this. There are people out there who will have no idea how many people die each day normally in the UK, and when they hear "x amount of deaths due to covid-19" are outraged as they have nothing to balance it with.

The time will come when the government and media will need to show covid-19 deaths relative to total deaths, and total deaths relative to average deaths. It's going to be normal for some time for people to die from Covid-19. Like deaths from other causes, we will have to accept this and take steps ourselves to lower the risk of this, in the same way that we lower the risk to ourselves from other causes of death.

It's going to hard to change that view if you have to keep publishing daily stats, which nobody sees for anything else.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes I know. So follow the Swedish model and continue to shield those most vulnerable. At least for a short time longer.

That will allow those likely to contract the virus and recover from it to be exposed, reducing the number of viable hosts further down the line.

As someone who would be classed as more vulnerable than the general population, I would have no problem with taking additional precautions like wearing a mask etc out and about later in the summer if it meant the population at large were able to get back to work / some sort of normality.

You are willing to stay out of bars, restaurants, sporting events as well?

Just out of interest. It might be something that the government decides should happen. 

ID required to get into all these places. No over 55's.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Of course - flu is a horrible illness even when someone who is fit and healthy gets it. We're doing all the social distancing in place of herd immunity of sorts keeping it down to manageable levels. As many people have said repeatedly in this thread it's not about the absolute numbers it's about not overwhelming the health service.

Yes, absolutely.

The actual death rate of covid is not actually that high but the constant 24/7 updates and even us discussing it here non stop is making it seem more prevalent and terrifying than it actually is.

I'm not for one minute saying it should be underestimated right enough as it COULD become terrifying if allowed to spread unabated.

Incidentally, I see Bavaria have just cancelled Oktoberfest and they're pretty much on top of things in relation to most.

Edited by WATTOO

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Incidentally, I see Bavaria have just cancelled Oktoberfest and they're pretty much on top of things in relation to most.

Oktoberfest, like the fringe, is more of an international festival.

4 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

You are willing to stay out of bars, restaurants, sporting events as well?

Just out of interest. It might be something that the government decides should happen. 

ID required to get into all these places. No over 55's.

Good question. I would be wise to avoid busy bars and restaurants initially, to see what happens, but if death rates remained low then gradually I would feel more comfortable in taking my chances in those environments as the overall risk would be pretty low.

To give a relative example seeing as i mentioned around single figure deaths being an acceptable figure, around 5 people are killed or seriously injured on Scotland's roads every day. I don't hesitate to drive.