Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Agree that Southwest are a good airline (in general). Have flown with them a few times before. We are splitting our time in Vegas. A few days at the JW Marriott resort in Summerlin, then on the strip at Wynn. Who knows if our amended plans will still be affected by this in May. Hopefully not. Vegas may be quieter than normal (if this coronavirus panic is still in play), but TBH, if it’s a bit quieter than its normal madness on the strip, no complaints. The last time we went to Vegas when it was indeed quieter than normal was after 9/11, when Americans were shitting themselves about flying, while we absolutely wanted to fly as normal. Maybe a Scottish thing, of basically, fcuk um’, we’re going? Who knows.

I hope you get your holiday, but I've heard nothing recently that is encouraging in that regard.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-covid-19-likely-to-last-till-end-2020-at-least-experts

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

I hope you get your holiday, but I've heard nothing recently that is encouraging in that regard.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-covid-19-likely-to-last-till-end-2020-at-least-experts

If we don’t then we need to put it into perspective - first world problems and all that. No point in spitting the dummy, millions of people will be similarly affected. Will just stay home and watch Tipping Point of an afternoon. Maybe venture into Cumbernauld for a Costa... unless Cumbernauld is in lockdown too. Fcuk it. Tipping Point it is then.

It's getting pathetic over here. Half marathon being cancelled out in the forest, and the missus wanted to attend a workshop that 35 people were going. Cancelled. Fucking overkill.

She summed it up earlier to me when she said "people are trying to look responsible"

And that's the problem with society. Too much caring how things look rather than actively engage the brain and look for a solution, or stop overreacting and looking like a fucking melt.

Just now, Stellaboz said:

It's getting pathetic over here. Half marathon being cancelled out in the forest, and the missus wanted to attend a workshop that 35 people were going. Cancelled. Fucking overkill.

She summed it up earlier to me when she said "people are trying to look responsible"

And that's the problem with society. Too much caring how things look rather than actively engage the brain and look for a solution, or stop overreacting and looking like a fucking melt.

Should she be allowed to go and attend a workshop of 35 people if it means that people die as a result?

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Should she be allowed to go and attend a workshop of 35 people if it means that people die as a result?

If you took that attitude you'd never leave the house.

We're all going to die, fact, we don't know how or when but it WILL happen at some point, worrying about it or stopping actually LIVING your life is worse in my book.

Yes, by all means mitigate risk where possible, however a common sense approach should also be taken and cancelling workshops of 35 people is as the man says, complete overkill.

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Well, what else are they supposed to do? Tell everyone to turn up in hazmat suits and try and create a vaccine?

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

DvslJhSWoAorClh.jpg

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We're all going to die, fact, we don't know how or when but it WILL happen at some point, worrying about it or stopping actually LIVING your life is worse in my book.

Yes, by all means mitigate risk where possible, however a common sense approach should also be taken and cancelling workshops of 35 people is as the man says, complete overkill.

It's amazing someone could still take this view at this stage of the outbreak.

Cancelling non-essential meetings is clearly the right thing to do. An awful lot of people are going to get sick, putting enormous strain on health services. People are still going to have heart attacks, strokes, car crashes etc and anything that slows the virus down and avoids any unnecessary infection is a good thing.

Maybe cancelling meetings of 35 people is the common sense approach.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'll take the advice of infectious disease experts as being better than a "common sense approach", thanks.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The first town in Italy to go into lockdown was Codogno, three weeks ago. They just confirmed they have had no new cases today.

Is that because everyone has now been infected?

13 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You just wanted her out the house so you could smash one out in peace, didn't you?

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
6 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

You just wanted her out the house so you could smash one out in peace, didn't you?

There was time for two. Gutted.

Remember not to act too concerned when they announce an outbreak centred around Pascha.

36 positive test results so far in Scotland, expected to increase by at least double by next week.

The first instances of someone being diagnosed with no obvious travel reasons or contact with known infected person has happened too in Scotland.

Also, a particular company instructing it's staff not to disclose who their employer is as part of the questions for the testing from NHS, for fear of reputational damage due to the number of infected staff they have already, is a joke...

All good reasons in my eyes for companies and people to be taking as many preventative measures as possible.

It'll be like World War Z in George Square again by the weekend. Although there's a good chance that will be caused by the Sevco Celtic game on Sunday anyway.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Maybe cancelling meetings of 35 people is the common sense approach.

I'm working in a building with another 800 people and travelling to and from work in a crowded train and walking through a City Centre at rush hour, is that not more of a risk than attending a workshop with 35 people ???