Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How are we going to know when we're at our plateau when the figures seem to include hundreds of deaths from the previous week being declared late? 
Maybe we are hitting it now, maybe we are still a few days away. Who knows? The recent figures have been dreadful in terms of numbers, but also functionally useless because they do not show the true picture and apparently have not done since the start of April. It doesn't seem like this should be as difficult as it apparently is. 
When this first kicked off, I felt a large degree of sympathy for those in charge. The scale, the fact that it's a new virus with characteristics that make it a nightmare to contain and all that.

As time goes on though, things that are within government control and are important to the ongoing fight like accurate reporting, testing, ppe etc are being fucked up on a monumental scale. We are definitely approaching the realms now where the Blitz Spirit and All in it together bullshit narrative need to be replaced by repercussions for those in charge.

Maybe not constructive during lockdown while death rates remain high, but to have such shitty reporting this far in is criminal.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

When this first kicked off, I felt a large degree of sympathy for those in charge. The scale, the fact that it's a new virus with characteristics that make it a nightmare to contain and all that.

As time goes on though, things that are within government control and are important to the ongoing fight like accurate reporting, testing, ppe etc are being fucked up on a monumental scale. We are definitely approaching the realms now where the Blitz Spirit and All in it together bullshit narrative need to be replaced by repercussions for those in charge.

Maybe not constructive during lockdown while death rates remain high, but to have such shitty reporting this far in is criminal.

I can't work out whether it's that the job is too big for this incompetent government or whether it's a lack of will to do anything about it.  

Carole Cadwalladr has been tweeting about the differences between Ireland and the UK.  Both started off with the same number of ICU beds per capita but Ireland has suffered less than half the death rate.  Almost certainly all down to the UK's one-week delay in announcing a 'lock down'.

More and more, Boris and the Buffoons remind me of the mayor in Jaws.

I can't work out whether it's that the job is too big for this incompetent government or whether it's a lack of will to do anything about it.  
Carole Cadwalladr has been tweeting about the differences between Ireland and the UK.  Both started off with the same number of ICU beds per capita but Ireland has suffered less than half the death rate.  Almost certainly all down to the UK's one-week delay in announcing a 'lock down'.
Yeah, it's a huge, horrendously difficult and unprecedented thing to deal with, but it's that for every country and that doesn't excuse fucking up the basic stuff.

If our reporting etc was pinpoint accurate, we would still have lots of people dying because of the above, but at least it would be reliable date with which to make decisions, and would be an indicator of the folk running things being on the ball.

We were never avoiding having deaths here. That wasnt possible. But everything the govt have had within their control, they have contrived to manipulate more deaths out of. I wonder if anyone will ever attempt to calculate excess deaths based on failure to reach testing targets, failure to supply ppe etc. Think it would make grim reading.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

How on earth can you deduce that yesterday was our peak. That could only be claimed after a number of days of sustained reduction.

Are you a moon howler?

I didn't say "yesterday was our peak"

I said based on the figures from Spain and France, deaths peaked around 6 days after new cases peaked. I then went on to say when our current peak new cases days were, and if they remained true when 6 days from then was.

Finished up by saying I hope that remained the case.

I'm now absolutely convinced that there are people on this thread not only incapable of any sort of positive thinking, but get outraged by anyone looking for positives anywhere.

You and @Marshmallo are by far the worst for it.

29 minutes ago, Michael W said:

How are we going to know when we're at our plateau when the figures seem to include hundreds of deaths from the previous week being declared late? 

Maybe we are hitting it now, maybe we are still a few days away. Who knows? The recent figures have been dreadful in terms of numbers, but also functionally useless because they do not show the true picture and apparently have not done since the start of April. It doesn't seem like this should be as difficult as it apparently is. 

If we want the true and complete figures we'll have to be prepared for a few days lag before they're collected from deaths at home and in care homes and the causes have been established. Think I'd prefer that to the incomplete daily figures they announce. Numbers of hospitalised patients and those in ICU are useful though, to determine capacity.

My money's on the UK government being completely useless as Scotland's death rate is half as well. It's no surprise to me that this crisis has shown them for the useless shower that they are.

6 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

The free access to FT.com has been a boon for well written thought out pieces. Think I might have to break my duck and actually pay a newspaper subscription once this is all over. 

I took out a free 6 months subscription last year just to read one article and forgot about it, then checked my bank statement to see that I'd been charged £30 a month when it was over, with no warning. Just so you know.

3 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I have to admit I'm in complete shock that both here and the US, two countries with rational, erudite leaders, have managed to f**k everything up.

Who would have guessed such a thing would happen...

They’re only following the science apparently and are not to blame for anything. Also if you could stop misusing the PPE that would also help 

8 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I have to admit I'm in complete shock that both here and the US, two countries with rational, erudite leaders, have managed to f**k everything up.

Maybe they should try "hope" or "positive thinking"

25 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

The players make up the team, but it's the manager who gets the results

20 minutes ago, keithgy said:

My sister in laws Uncle passed away this morning from COVID-19,if it possible it hits it home harder 

I'd prefer it if it affected some of the minority that don't appear to give a f**k, at least that might save the lives of a few that do give a f**k.