Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Evidence coming out of South Korea that people are catching it again.

The difference of a few house parties in each area is not going to be 1000 deaths a day. Get off your high horse and calm the f**k down.

So far there's no evidence than folk are catching this more than once. There's been no second wave spike so far and it would be very unusual for this to be a virus that didn't create an immunity. I'm certain i read early on that almost all corona viruses do.

It's baffling to read people still downplaying how this is spread by social interaction. I don't know where the science is at now but the number being widely quoted a few weeks back was that infected people would spread it to 2.5 others without social distancing. I'd say that would be on the conservative side for people going to fucking house parties. 10 iterations of that spread is nearly 10k people, 12 is over 50k, 17 is more than the population of Scotland.

People having or going to parties because it's just a wee get together that won't make any difference are irredeemable idiots and subhuman scum. 

1 minute ago, Alan Stubbs said:

It's baffling to read people still downplaying how this is spread by social interaction. I don't know where the science is at now but the number being widely quoted a few weeks back was that infected people would spread it to 2.5 others without social distancing. I'd say that would be on the conservative side for people going to fucking house parties. 10 iterations of that spread is nearly 10k people, 12 is over 50k, 17 is more than the population of Scotland.

People having or going to parties because it's just a wee get together that won't make any difference are irredeemable idiots and subhuman scum. 

It's over 3 as far as I recollect. 

12 minutes ago, Steven W said:

47 deaths in Scotland I'm the last 24 hours. I know these figures are a tough ropey, but that's one less than yesterday - Scotland possibly peaking?

Can't find any info on hospital admissions though - anyone got that. Was hoping that they're beginning to drop (in Scotland at least).

Obviously 47 deaths is tragic but my barometer for good or bad news atm is whether The Herald report the daily or total death figures. Relatively big daily number and that's the headline. Relatively low and it's the total, which could easily be misconstrued as a daily figure. It's the total today, they must be a bit disappointed.

Obviously 47 deaths is tragic but my barometer for good or bad news atm is whether The Herald report the daily or total death figures. Relatively big daily number and that's the headline. Relatively low and it's the total, which could easily be misconstrued as a daily figure. It's the total today, they must be a bit disappointed.

The death league seems to create a morbid competitiveness. There’s folks here rooting for the UK to get as high a death count as possible so that they can claim they knew better all along.

52 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

fines, asbos, whatever. I'm not sure putting more folk in jail is a great idea just now

I’m not sure people knowingly and blatantly ignoring the rules is a great idea just now.  My biggest worry is that the more folk do it the more others, who until now have been following the guidelines, think ‘f**k this if they’re doing it so are we’.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

The death league seems to create a morbid competitiveness. There’s folks here rooting for the UK to get as high a death count as possible so that they can claim they knew better all along.

Is there?  Who are these people?

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Those that know don't need to root. 

No-one is condoning the house parties.

The point of debate is over what can be done about these folk (absolute zoomers, as you suggest).

Society has them, we all know that. But how do you deal with it?

I'd expect police intervention, with whatever asbos and on the spot fines that exist (but fines that are reasonably payable).

54 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

fines, asbos, whatever. I'm not sure putting more folk in jail is a great idea just now

The thinking now is about considering releasing as many as possible to prevent Covid going rampant in prisons, rather than filling them up even more.

So are we close to calling this the beginning of the peak (which will last at least a week or two)?

Does that apply to both the uk and Scotland, with Scotland being in a slightly better position?

That's my (maybe slightly optimistic) take.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Details?

Just new cases and deaths being low over last 2 days, it's Easter weekend, so figures won't be reliable until middle of next week.