Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There is no proof that you can only catch this virus once, what's your source for saying disobeying government guidance will build up immunity?

If the "social problems in the medium to long term" are greater than 1,000 people a day dying then I'd be interested to hear what those would be.

Our leaders chose to have 1000+ deaths a day, don't let the bawbags ignoring the rules to ever take us all away from the main incontrovertible fact that our leaders took us down this path whilst only doffing their caps at planning on the way past. 

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

The difference of a few house parties in each area is not going to be 1000 deaths a day. Get off your high horse and calm the f**k down.

So far there's no evidence than folk are catching this more than once. There's been no second wave spike so far and it would be very unusual for this to be a virus that didn't create an immunity. I'm certain i read early on that almost all corona viruses do.

You're the one effing and jeffing so I'd suggest if anyone needs to "calm the f**k down", it's you.

You didn't answer either of my questions, unsurprisingly.

Edited by Marshmallo

You're the one effing and jeffing so I'd suggest if anyone needs to "calm the f**k down", it's you.

I answered both questions clearly.

It would be entirely unusual for this to not create immunity. So why go asking the lines that it doesn't - until there's evidence of it sonewhere - which there isn't.

And your first point related to a wild assumption about these parties making the difference of a 1000 deaths a day, which is ridiculous.

The social problems are clearly obvious btw, as these folk tend to not have stable finances for a catalogue of reasons. Heavy fines on poor people never works out well. And jail seems to be a place where the virus is incredibly difficult to contain - so the effect was obvious.

32 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its largely experiential and raw info from phone calls to authorities from lack of compliance. There’s still people having house parties, still people drinking in the parks etc. You’re right that its tough to quantify, but the constant appeals for people to stick by it are largely due to the fact so many people seem to think that they are some special exemption to the rule.

That's nothing compared to supermarkets constantly having hundreds of people in them.

If the public behaviour has increased the death toll it will be because we are reliant on big shops. 

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So far there's no evidence than folk are catching this more than once.

Let's hope you're right, this is inconclusive but worrying.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea/south-korea-reports-recovered-coronavirus-patients-testing-positive-again-idUSKCN21S15X

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Relax Marshy,  I know a lot of us are a bit uptight right now but it doesn't really help.

The whole immunity once you've had it has been mentioned by the Government's medical and scientific advisers as being something they're hoping for.

I answered both questions clearly.

It would be entirely unusual for this to not create immunity. So why go asking the lines that it doesn't - until there's evidence of it sonewhere - which there isn't.

And your first point related to a wild assumption about these parties making the difference of a 1000 deaths a day, which is ridiculous.

You're the one making claims about "immunity". The onus is on you to prove that, not on me to disprove a statement you've made. That would be akin to me asking you to prove that I don't have an invisible elf that lives in my fridge.

What are these social problems that will arise medium to long term if we take a stricter stance against people not observing government guidelines? And how many additional deaths would there need to be for this to outweigh the "social problems" you speak of?

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hmmmm, not sure about that. It doesn't really tally with an article I think I maybe read a while ago that said we might not expect that.

House parties won't add a 1000 deaths but if manchester has 500 over a weekend that the police know about and the virus has an R0 of 5 or more as latest research shows, and each house party had 30 people and we assume 0.1% of them have the virus that's 15 people who will have been infected who then go back to their houses and infect their family. Of that first 15 we expect what 1% to die, so rounding down that's 1 person dead because some idiots wanted to have a party. Now multiply this by each city in the country.
Ok, bearing in mind the back of a fag packet calculations, how do we deal with them?

Heavy fines or chuck them in jail?

What else can be done at this point?

Ok, bearing in mind the back of a fag packet calculations, how do we deal with them?

Heavy fines or chuck them in jail?

What else can be done at this point?

Even if they are "back of a fag packet calculations" he's put in infinitely more thought and reasoning than your woolly nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

House parties won't add a 1000 deaths but if manchester has 500 over a weekend that the police know about and the virus has an R0 of 5 or more as latest research shows, and each house party had 30 people and we assume 0.1% of them have the virus that's 75 people who will have been infected who then go back to their houses and infect their family. Of that first 75 we expect what 1% to die, so rounding up that's 1 person dead because some idiots wanted to have a party. Now multiply this by each city in the country.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these 'house parties' were just flatmates being a bit lairy or noisy past 10pm.

Even if they are "back of a fag packet calculations" he's put in infinitely more thought and reasoning than your woolly nonsense. 

You're the one that seems to be clinging to the idea that we won't be immune if we get this when there's no reason to suggest that yet.

And I'm happy to claim you don't have an invisible elf in your fridge.

Just now, pandarilla said:

You're the one that seems to be clinging to the idea that we won't be immune if we get this when there's no reason to suggest that yet.

And I'm happy to claim you don't have an elf in your fridge.

Welshbairn has posted an article which suggests that people in South Korea are catching this more than once.

You're ducking every single question asked. Get back to smashing pans together, seems to be more your strong suit.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm 100% ok with folk exploiting the tension to get these people slapped with a fine too tbh.

I'm going to become Adorno by the end of this what with labelling literally everyone and everything they do as fascist.

ETA: Okay, I support this if it's impacting people like Caitlin Moran.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

quality bit of clyping here

Edited by NotThePars