Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've also read a theory that Sweden's problem with their "do as you're told and we won't have to legally enforce restrictions" approach is that while most Swedes are very compliant, there are immigrant ghettos where the social norms are very different and these are being hit hard.

I've not actually seen any data on this and it's hard to find decent discussion on it that doesn't descend into accusations of racism, but it makes sense that if cultural norms do play a part in the spread of the virus then a country like Sweden with a huge proportion of recent immigrants may be affected as the theory proposes.

19 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It might be good news but it’s a single day figure for a reporting system that seems inefficient at best

Yeah for all we know, Senga and Betty went home early yesterday because it's Easter so the figures aren't complete.

We can look forward to four days of gash figures which will be blithely washed over with the now customary 'delays in reporting' excuse.

Edited by bendan

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark is on TV tonight, how could anyone even consider leaving the house and breaching regulations? What could anyone possibly be doing that’s better than watching that?

Does anyone remember the betamax to VHS style equivalent to Indiana Jones.

I think it was Alan Quartermain or something like that.

I'm getting to love these daily press conferences - there are always some little London based media nobodies in attendance, strongly hinting in their questions that the Scottish government should be taking their cue from Westminster, and not trying to jump the gun with whatever decisions they decide to take.

They just don't grasp that these are matters devolved to Scotland, and that our government is primarily concerned with protecting the Scottish NHS. Nicola has become very adept at putting these useless c***s in their place. 

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This makes no sense to me. Saying that the size of the country doesn't effect the speed of the spread is nonsense.

It makes sense that bigger countries will have more people bringing the virus in. I would guess Holland and Belgium look bad as they are small nations with high levels of international travellers.

Hasn't Holland got one of the highest population densities in Europe?  I would think Belgium must be fairly high on the list as well.

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark is on TV tonight, how could anyone even consider leaving the house and breaching regulations? What could anyone possibly be doing that’s better than watching that?

Watching The Last Crusade?

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hasn't Holland got one of the highest population densities in Europe?  I would think Belgium must be fairly high on the list as well.

585ulf2camc01.thumb.png.3cfbe5bf3562214c672a83b981246a2a.png

Found that on Reddit. (2yrs out of date but should give a good impression)

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Belgium is worst after Italy and Spain. Although apparently over here we have more expansive counting. In that unlike some countries all suspected care home deaths are included even if there is no testing done.

Belgium is worst after Italy and Spain. Although apparently over here we have more expansive counting. In that unlike some countries all suspected care home deaths are included even if there is no testing done.
Was just away to post. I'm in close contact with Belgian friends. There recorded deaths are far more accurate.

It might be good news but it’s a single day figure for a reporting system that seems inefficient at best
Have we sorted our weekend stats yet - or will the numbers over the weekend be low again, only for a big rise early in the week?

And is there a plan to include the care home and deaths at home - or are we just continuing indefinitely with incomplete stats?