Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
27 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Don’t think the population is the biggest variable though. You can have similar populations but other variables will have a greater effect on such a transmissible disease (population density, number of major travel hubs, general arseholishness of the populace etc).  Absolute deaths are what we are interested in here.

Population density is barely a factor, take a look at the Italian data I linked to earlier today as an example. Alpine provinces have worse infection rates than regional capitals.

Holiday skiers?

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Is this also why there hasn't been such a noise about Spain, who seem to have bigger numbers than Italy? The scenes in Lombardy were really shocking but are they not happening here because we've thus far been able to cope with temporary hospitals etc?

I don't buy the age thing being why we aren't reacting with as much horror because we did react with horror to Italy.

I’m sure it’s only the temporary hospital in London that’s been used just now? I really don’t think the one at the SEC will be used 

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think it's good news.

I would be cautious of reading too much into "clear decline" but it would appear that we have pretty much reached the peak, and that while it might take a few more days to start to consistently decline, it won't go up.

Miles away from the knicker wetters saying we'd hit 500 a day by next week, and ridiculing me for saying that was nonsense.

What we don't need, though, are people looking at those figures, getting excited, and goinh out to roll eggs on Sunday.

The knicker wetters were screaming out “but look at Italy!! We’ll be like Lombardy”. Probably the same ones saying they’ll be no football played in front of crowds for at least a year 🙄

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Does anyone actually roll eggs?

Every year my old mum talked about doing it and i swear I've never done it in my 39 years on this planet.

Every year probably since I was about 3. f**k knows why. One year when it was snowing, my mum made us roll our eggs down the fucking stairs.

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Source?

That would represent an 800% increase on the last 3 days, and a 50% increase in total deaths in one day.

Either that figure is wrong, or their figures up to this point are inaccurate

Was posting in the middle of a skype call wirh a swedish mate 

Holiday skiers?
That's not a bad shout. I've just run the numbers from Emilia-Romagna which is the worst affected region with a decent number of provinces and no winter tourism. The correlation is stronger, but only +0.11 so still not particularly significant.
Lazio, which was a few weeks behind Veneto and Lombardia has a correlation of -0.60.

I'm willing to be proved wrong on this but I've not seen any actual evidence that shows a statistical link between population density and spread of the virus.

36 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is it just me or is this very good news?

Is there something missing in the number, or is this a clear decline?

30 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think it's good news.

I would be cautious of reading too much into "clear decline" but it would appear that we have pretty much reached the peak, and that while it might take a few more days to start to consistently decline, it won't go up.

Miles away from the knicker wetters saying we'd hit 500 a day by next week, and ridiculing me for saying that was nonsense.

A one day decline in deaths is pretty meaningless, good all the same but it could be up again tomorrow. Don't forget it's only the beginning of this month that we started to get regular double figures of deaths, so it's not likely to suddenly tail off just 10 days later. The same with new infections, they've got to be taken over longer period than even just a few days to show any kind of trend.  The good news is that the while the infection rate is still growing on a daily basis, it's possibly not growing quite as fast as it was.

'travellingtabby's' note from yesterdays figures says "The total number of infections has risen by 9% from yesterday, and 25% from three days ago", .  And don't forget, its the number of infections that will slow first, the death toll will take a bit longer to slow. That's not an indication of reaching a peak and starting to decline.

Edited by s_dog

13 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Per capita comparisons.  “Stars by night”.

This makes no sense to me. Saying that the size of the country doesn't effect the speed of the spread is nonsense.

It makes sense that bigger countries will have more people bringing the virus in. I would guess Holland and Belgium look bad as they are small nations with high levels of international travellers.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is on TV tonight, how could anyone even consider leaving the house and breaching regulations? What could anyone possibly be doing that’s better than watching that?

20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Before we get carried away with Sweden, it is worth remembering that they have told those most vulnerable to severe disease to stay home, similar to what we have done with our NHS letters.

Stockholm have 476 deaths with 1000000 population, that's not great.