Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

We were supposed to be at Haggerston this weekend as well, we could've met for a pint. To think, a potential lifelong friendship ruined by this horrible virus.

Did you get a refund sorted? They never answered their phone when the Mrs was phoning them. We moved our trip to next Easter though. 

Guest Moomintroll
Wee Pat Nevin bucking the trend with framed album covers in the background.
He is still a wee Judas but he has good tastes when it comes to pop culture & music. He could probably take over both of Cowan & Cosgrove's jobs while being far more relevant.

We were supposed to be at Haggerston this weekend as well, we could've met for a pint. To think, a potential lifelong friendship ruined by this horrible virus.
Is there no end to the cost?

When I went to Haggerston I was ordering breakfast beside a Geordie chap who was ordering double vodka slushies. He informed me that slushies were the least suspicious looking mixer at 0930.

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

If only I knew. I quite liked Eyemouth but the weather was poor last Easter if you remember correctly. Remember going for a pint at a pub that had a lift that took you upstairs.

Oblo’s, not my thing, should’ve went to the Fleet, opens at 8am

4 minutes ago, get_the_subbies_on said:

Went to Haggerston once. Wouldn’t go back.

Correct answer, too many fucking Geordies for me 

Just now, MixuFixit said:

See how we're now seeing near enough 1000 deaths a day, and when this was happening in Italy we were seeing this as a desperate catastrophe? I feel like here it's being reported and reacted to with more of a shrug and a whit can ye dae. Is that because it's more dispersed in the UK? Or is there some subconscious (or perhaps very conscious) playing down of the situation here because of who it reflects badly on?

The Brit press are too busy masturbating over Churchill and remembering how we beat the Germans in WWII to actually notice what the Germans are doing in the here and now.

15 minutes ago, throbber said:

If only I knew. I quite liked Eyemouth but the weather was poor last Easter if you remember correctly. Remember going for a pint at a pub that had a lift that took you upstairs.

Best fish and chips in Scotland at Giacopazzis

See how we're now seeing near enough 1000 deaths a day, and when this was happening in Italy we were seeing this as a desperate catastrophe? I feel like here it's being reported and reacted to with more of a shrug and a whit can ye dae. Is that because it's more dispersed in the UK? Or is there some subconscious (or perhaps very conscious) playing down of the situation here because of who it reflects badly on?
The playing down of the situation combined with the general public probably feeling like they have done everything they can do now, and the figures will be what they are. The ones who have stuck by the lockdown at least.

Prepare for much more playing down of the situation when it becomes apparent that the testing figures will get nowhere near what was promised.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

I think there's a number of reasons.  One is that the Italian cases were highly focussed on a single region so the scenes there were absolutely horrific.  The virus here is mainly focussed on London but even there I don't think the impact is as focussed as Lombardy or Bergamo.  We haven't, yet, seen the sort of healthcare system stresses or collapse that happened (and probably still is happening) in the regions of Italy that wer hit.  Also, Italy being the first European country that was affected so badly it was a shock to see - maybe it prepared people for the figures we are seeing, it let people know that this was coming, it's not been such a huge shock to people.

I'm sure some people are playing it down or up for what they see as partisan politic reasons but I don't think that's the main factor.  

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Most people barely blink when they hear an elderly aunty or neighbour has died. It's just part of life.

If children were dying it would an entirely different reaction.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Most people barely blink when they hear an elderly aunty or neighbour has died. It's just part of life.

If children were dying it would an entirely different reaction.

My mates mum died last week, not the virus but only 5 allowed at the funeral so it's not just normal part of life. 

My mates mum died last week, not the virus but only 5 allowed at the funeral so it's not just normal part of life. 
Mrs B has a pal whose gran died last week
They done the funeral twice with half the family in at a time. Unsure of the numbers but it sounded better than this limit of five stuff.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Some really grim pictures from New York City, numerous coffins being buried in mass graves following death from the virus.

That island still sounds less depressing than 90% of your posts.

Regarding the difference in Italian regions, I found this chart showing the number of cases in each Italian region

image.thumb.png.5db1d6b308c3ddfd79a4c2a20e165d51.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1099389/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/

Lombardy is by far the most populous region of Italy, with approximately 16% of Italians living there.  Lombardy has experienced 54% of Covid-19 deaths in Italy.