Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 09/04/2023 at 15:21, SlipperyP said:

3rd  division now.

I remember the good times...

Full song for the guys...

How is Thailand getting on with the road to normal?

I’ve been to Thailand before in 2014, I’m not buying this “Asians always wear masks “ BS, there were some people cutting about Bangkok with them on but it couldn’t have been much more than 10 -15 %

6 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

How is Thailand getting on with the road to normal?

I’ve been to Thailand before in 2014, I’m not buying this “Asians always wear masks “ BS, there were some people cutting about Bangkok with them on but it couldn’t have been much more than 10 -15 %

I'd say about 75% in Bangkok. 100% on public transport. Was asked to put on of for the bus to Bangkok also to visit the Grand Temple before entering. Once in nobody had them on.

In my little village about 95%, Folk are out in there garden in their own still wearing them. Intact I was driving through the rice fields yesterday and some folk had them on, closest person to them would be about 2km.

Going to take a long time, Thursday is the start of our New Year festive, first since 2019 that all restrictions are off. Let's hope I see more faces.

ETA - my son who entered the Grand Temple on the Thai queue didn't need to wear a mask. Make of that what you want.

Edited by SlipperyP

Supposed to be going into hospital for minor operation today (stent shoved in through keyhole). Tested positive, so sent home and told to phone in two weeks for another appointment.  Came as a big surprise ' cos no symptoms and feeling fine.

On 12/04/2023 at 00:54, SlipperyP said:

I'd say about 75% in Bangkok. 100% on public transport. Was asked to put on of for the bus to Bangkok also to visit the Grand Temple before entering. Once in nobody had them on.

In my little village about 95%, Folk are out in there garden in their own still wearing them. Intact I was driving through the rice fields yesterday and some folk had them on, closest person to them would be about 2km.

Going to take a long time, Thursday is the start of our New Year festive, first since 2019 that all restrictions are off. Let's hope I see more faces.

ETA - my son who entered the Grand Temple on the Thai queue didn't need to wear a mask. Make of that what you want.

^^^

images (6).jpeg

23 hours ago, Kamenitza said:

Supposed to be going into hospital for minor operation today (stent shoved in through keyhole). Tested positive, so sent home and told to phone in two weeks for another appointment.  Came as a big surprise ' cos no symptoms and feeling fine.

I'd be raging at this tbh. Unless they are planning on testing for every illness under the sun before allowing people into hospital, why are they continuing to single out Covid?

My stepdad just died this evening - he was in the final stages of Alzheimers - a serious chest infection was just too much for him.

The care home does have cases of Covid so mask-wearing was back - they also had a family members only visitors policy (maximum of 3).

Thankfully they also have common sense - completely waived the policy yesterday so any family member could visit.  I am just grateful that this wasn't at the height of Covid when all common sense went of the window and loved ones had zero dignity in death.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

My stepdad just died this evening - he was in the final stages of Alzheimers - a serious chest infection was just too much for him.

The care home does have cases of Covid so mask-wearing was back - they also had a family members only visitors policy (maximum of 3).

Thankfully they also have common sense - completely waived the policy yesterday so any family member could visit.  I am just grateful that this wasn't at the height of Covid when all common sense went of the window and loved ones had zero dignity in death.

Sorry for your loss mate. 

I redeployed to a care home for residents with dementia at start of lockdown.  It was scary stuff back then.  I had never worked in care before.  All you saw on and read was the death toll sharply rising, especially with people in care homes, much of it linked to Covid.

My boss had numerous arguments with Ninewells, he was refusing to take new residents in unless they had been tested as he knew the devastating effect which would occur if it got in the home.

Somehow he managed to stave off Covid in the home until the late October.  When it got in it was horrendous, think they lost 3 residents they could definitely link to it and a few members of staff got really sick.

The no-visitors rule was especially difficult for residents as many that had the ability to do so, could not understand why they could not see loved ones or do outdoor/group activities like normal.

Fortunately my boss had a bit of compassion about him in that he arranged for secret trips for close family members to come to the home and either see their loved ones through a window (or outside but socially distanced). 

The rules back then prevented this being allowed and he could have been sacked for allowing it but he knew the value of a bit of dignity for people so ill.

It was far from perfect but at least he tried to show a bit of compassion to families during an extremely difficult time.  As you say, many did not even get that back then.

15 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Sorry for your loss. We had similar last February, my Grampa passed after his Alzheimer’s went downhill rapidly and he stopped eating. He was in hospital (NHS), and visiting was restricted in the couple of weeks previous but opened up to the family once the time came closer. Thankfully it didn’t happen just a few months earlier. 

I've been in Germany the past couple of days, which only lifted their demented face mask restrictions on public transport two months ago. But unlike selfish, reckless Toooooaaaary Britain of course, the sensible Germans continue to wear their face masks due to their higher sense of civic duty.

Spoiler

5ce1a6608b10c_IMG_15421.GIF.a41128997e138138d87cc9122fcbac12.GIF

Not even one spotted.

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

You see them seldomly now. Dentists and doctor surgeries still require you to wear one going in though. 

Out of 10 doctors surgeries I collect prescriptions from for a pharmacy, only 2 ask the patients to mask up. The rest have removed their plastic screens and don't bother. 

My doctors has a 'wear a mask' sign which everyone ignores.  I think a few places have just forgotten to take them down or superglued them on.

I see the brainiac vaccine truthers are now claiming that Holly Willoughby has shingles due to the vaccine.  Geniunely there can't be a movement as stupid as the anti-vaccine movement, truly a bunch of complete weirdo losers.

Edited by ICTChris

43 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A prominent anti-vaccine lunatic literally going for the 'jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams' here

Nice wee diversion here - when steel reaches 500 degrees C it's Young's Modulus is halved. The steel isn't melted but it isn't strong either.