Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

It's also pretty obvious that 'Covid deaths' were recorded in a way intentionally skewed to maximise fear and further compliance.  Deaths from any cause after a positive test is a laughably inaccurate and unreliable method, but was somehow the unquestioned gold standard of statistics around the world.

Having the nation glued to their screens for the daily briefings where these scary numbers were rammed down our throats, you have to hold your hands up to the behavioural psychologists and recognise what a remarkably successful fear campaign the whole chapter was.

My mrs spent months absolutely convinced that covid meant certain death. partly becuase in her mind "they wouldn't be doing all this if it wasn't so serious"   in april 2020 she was in floods of tears after hearing that our friend, a fit & healthy woman of 28, was self isolating after coming into contact with a positive case.  the fear was everywhere.

36 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

My mrs spent months absolutely convinced that covid meant certain death. partly becuase in her mind "they wouldn't be doing all this if it wasn't so serious"   in april 2020 she was in floods of tears after hearing that our friend, a fit & healthy woman of 28, was self isolating after coming into contact with a positive case.  the fear was everywhere.

A realistic case in point there. Again, they still haven't fully answered for what they did and sadly, never will. Awful.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not going back 7044 pages to find out what that was. 

If you don't know what the original point was (from the same page btw), why bother with the arsey reply?

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Went into hospital to have a throat biopsy done just before the 2nd lockdown and remember being a little worried I would catch it. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m speculating but the strategy was to make the public want to follow the rules. 

The alternative would be high enforcement which there isn’t enough police to do effectively so you’d be talking about armed forces which is clearly a terrible look in any country, never mind one which is meant to pride itself on democracy etc. 

Instead you make the public 1) fear that they are putting themselves or others at risk and 2) they are part of a collective effort to protect the nhs, which is why you have the extreme romanticising of it all. 

Im not commenting on whether or not this was the right thing to do, I just think the above is what they were thinking. 

Aye. Totally agree. I seem to remember NS saying that for the vast majority this was a mild virus, with no real issues and it did in fact cause problems with folk with diabetes and maybe COPD for example. But it felt like the message was it was dangerous for everyone. I don't know. I think it could have been handled a lot better, and the arbitrary rules, with travel regions, and two metres apart and other stuff were just randomly made up. Who knows. 🤷

10 hours ago, GTee said:

Aye. Totally agree. I seem to remember NS saying that for the vast majority this was a mild virus, with no real issues and it did in fact cause problems with folk with diabetes and maybe COPD for example. But it felt like the message was it was dangerous for everyone. I don't know. I think it could have been handled a lot better, and the arbitrary rules, with travel regions, and two metres apart and other stuff were just randomly made up. Who knows. 🤷

Yep, and most of the idiots fell for it.

Went to a wee shop in Alloa at the weekend. They still don't allow people into the shop, service at the door only. I stood there asking for sweets whilst the woman retreated into the shop to get them. No clue how they are still in business. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Went to a wee shop in Alloa at the weekend. They still don't allow people into the shop, service at the door only. I stood there asking for sweets whilst the woman retreated into the shop to get them. No clue how they are still in business. 

2521.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

I booked a hotel for a work trip the other day and the confirmation email is full of Covid advice, notifying that while masks are no longer mandatory they are strongly advised due to the "still very real threat". I'd like to think it's just a case of them being too lazy to edit their auto-generated email from last year.

8 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

look at the comments though, Proper old firm style heads gone the American left, they're really no better than folk they spend so much time criticising  

The American 'left' are just the same middle-class liberal clowns cheering for lockdowns and Zoom parties over here, so long as the plebs are there to ship unlimited deliveries to their Hyndland address. 

21 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I booked a hotel for a work trip the other day and the confirmation email is full of Covid advice, notifying that while masks are no longer mandatory they are strongly advised due to the "still very real threat". I'd like to think it's just a case of them being too lazy to edit their auto-generated email from last year.

Loads of them are like that, restaurants too.

On 14/03/2023 at 20:47, Monkey Tennis said:

I love the irony of Elixir posting in praise of "Normal People".

It's pretty normal to ridicule covid psychos and the simps who pandered to them, tbf.

On 15/03/2023 at 13:24, Zetterlund said:

YOu see remnants of it - the garage up the road from me still has plastic boards across the tills, my son's nursery still has a masks sign bolted to the front wall.  The pharmacy I usually go to still has a sign up asking for only three people in at once.

It's like when they take down the sign on an old bujilding and you can see the faded outline that tells you it used to be an ironmongers or dry goods store in 1934.