Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Feel like Covid 19 is becoming less and less an thing now over the last few months. I booked a wee break to Spain and not thought about any Covid restrictions/issues for there.

Are people still WFH/hybrid working? Seems with the traffic on the roads everyone is back at the office.

• 2 weeks later...

Never thought Sturgeon would take following Saint Jacinda that seriously. titter.png

Payback for all her posturing during Covid as well as the recent gender recognition fiasco. 4U0m6pP_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Simps in mourning. 😢

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

The influential and prestigious Cochrane organisation has now come up with its extensive review showing that the wearing of face coverings is and has always been a complete waste of time.

It may sound conspiratorial but I've always been absolutely convinced that mandatory face coverings during the pandemic were solely to serve as a visual reminder i.e. you see someone wearing a mask and remember that it's a pandemic and you should keep your distance. humans are creatures of habit, we quickly revert to type as soon as we become comfortable again. 

No one can seriously think that pieces of cloth were going to stop particles less than one micron in size.

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It may sound conspiratorial but I've always been absolutely convinced that mandatory face coverings during the pandemic were solely to serve as a visual reminder i.e. you see someone wearing a mask and remember that it's a pandemic and you should keep your distance. humans are creatures of habit, we quickly revert to type as soon as we become comfortable again. 

No one can seriously think that pieces of cloth were going to stop particles less than one micron in size.

Lots of people did.

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Nobody thought they would stop every micron, it was about reducing the spread. I'm sure if the inside of a covid carrier's mask was examined a fair amount of the virus would be present which would otherwise be shared with the world. The question is how much, and if it was all worth the inconvenience and expense. Studies so far seem to be contradictory or inconclusive which surprises me, it can't be that hard to set up a physical experiment to determine it. The Japanese have sworn by them for decades for controlling the spread of respiratory virus's. You might be right about visual signals about keeping alert about social distancing but I doubt it was only that.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody thought they would stop every micron, it was about reducing the spread. I'm sure if the inside of a covid carrier's mask was examined a fair amount of the virus would be present which would otherwise be shared with the world. The question is how much, and if it was all worth the inconvenience and expense. Studies so far seem to be contradictory or inconclusive which surprises me, it can't be that hard to set up a physical experiment to determine it. The Japanese have sworn by them for decades for controlling the spread of respiratory virus's. You might be right about visual signals about keeping alert about social distancing but I doubt it was only that.

Aye exactly, the Japanese have been at near 100% compliance the whole entire time, has it made the blindest bit of difference? 

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

6 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Aye exactly, the Japanese have been at near 100% compliance the whole entire time, has it made the blindest bit of difference? 

Yes. Japan’s Covid death rate, just one-twelfth of that in the United States, is the lowest among the world’s wealthiest nations. With the world’s third-largest economy and 11th-largest populace, Japan also tops global rankings in vaccination and has consistently had one of the globe’s lowest infection rates. Studies have shown that the peer pressure to be masked in Japan, existing prior to COVID, significantly reduces the spread of respiratory viruses in the tightly packed nation. It’s, as @welshbairn notes, about the reduction of spread by the mask generally containing infected individuals respiratory excretions.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Yes. Japan’s Covid death rate, just one-twelfth of that in the United States, is the lowest among the world’s wealthiest nations. With the world’s third-largest economy and 11th-largest populace, Japan also tops global rankings in vaccination and has consistently had one of the globe’s lowest infection rates. Studies have shown that the peer pressure to be masked in Japan, existing prior to COVID, significantly reduces the spread of respiratory viruses in the tightly packed nation. It’s, as @welshbairn notes, about the reduction of spread by the mask generally containing infected individuals respiratory excretions.

Not really tho, they kept their borders sealed and prohibited mass gathering for far far longer than most of the world, the Olympics in 2021 had no spectators for example when by that point even Scotland was allowing crowds back. So yes they are going to have had less deaths than us but you can hardly put it all down to masks.

lockdowns, distancing and other sweeping restrictions certainly do work at containing the spread of respiratory viruses, there's  no doubt about that. but as discussed many times, they come at a disproportionately high costs relative to the harm they prevent.  masks are Pishing in the wind.  Sure if your all choked up, coughing and sneezing big covidy snotters everywhere then aye, in that case they will reduce the spread. but if you are like that then you shouldn't be out in a crowd anyway. if you're asymptomatic, they will do f**k all 

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Not really tho, they kept their borders sealed and prohibited mass gathering for far far longer than most of the world, the Olympics in 2021 had no spectators for example when by that point even Scotland was allowing crowds back. So yes they are going to have had less deaths than us but you can hardly put it all down to masks.

lockdowns, distancing and other sweeping restrictions certainly do work at containing the spread of respiratory viruses, there's  no doubt about that. but as discussed many times, they come at a disproportionately high costs relative to the harm they prevent.  masks are Pishing in the wind.  Sure if your all choked up, coughing and sneezing big covidy snotters everywhere then aye, in that case they will reduce the spread. but if you are like that then you shouldn't be out in a crowd anyway. if you're asymptomatic, they will do f**k all 

Except the Japanese flu numbers are almost always consistently some of the lowest in the world. Mask reduce the cases of the carry infecting others, that’s a fact, sorry if you dislike that, and are most effective with people just starting symptom while already being fully contagious.

14 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I had to google that, didn’t actually know it was derogatory. It’s not my style, I never use other well known short hand names that have offensive connotations 

Fair enough. You don't seem the type!

I'll take the quote down as well