Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 hours ago, the snudge said:

My daughters doctor surgery just made me go and sit in a separate waiting room because I politely declined a mask. A bit weird but they got really combatative about it. 

Was at the doctors last week and everyone masked up bar myself and the receptionists but they were all spaced out as per 2020. Not a word muttered about being maskless by them or the doctor.

On 20/12/2022 at 23:21, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I have also noticed that more often than not it is an asian person who is the occasional mask wearer in public over here
A question for the P&Bers in Asia, 

are people there that much more worried about getting sick or is it more a case of collective societal pressure and no one wanting to be “ that “ person who doesn’t wear their mask?

or something else?

For our place, it's a mix of peer pressure and fear of getting ill.  Not so much getting ill per se but in a country where there is no effective public health system or welfare system it's expensive to be sick.  Also, a certain degree of why not? - it doesn't hurt and no big deal.  I wear one where required without question  and don't wear one where it's not required seeing as I'm a good c**t.  

Only really required in shopping centres and enclosed places like buses etc.  

I see NHS bosses are telling us to stay away from elderly relatives again if we have the sniffles. That won't make them even more lonely at this time of year, when their days and Christmases could well be numbered. Who needs an holistic, rational approach anyway?

Public health making huge strides in trying to rebuild both trust and their reputation, clearly!

25 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I see NHS bosses are telling us to stay away from elderly relatives again if we have the sniffles. That won't make them even more lonely at this time of year, when their days and Christmases could well be numbered. Who needs an holistic, rational approach anyway?

Public health making huge strides in trying to rebuild both trust and their reputation, clearly!

Would you go and visit your Granny if you had the flu? Or anyone?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

If you fancied not being a massive wet wipe for once you'd notice the advice includes "coughs" and "colds"

Anyone taking this advice and not visiting relatives because they have a wee cold is broken.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you fancied not being a massive wet wipe for once you'd notice the advice includes "coughs" and "colds"

Anyone taking this advice and not visiting relatives because they have a wee cold is broken.

The sniffles is this thread's code for Covid, as you well know. 

The Chinese Centre for Disease Control estimates that 20% of the population of China has contracted Covid so far in December. They specifically estimate that 2.6% of the population became infected on Tuesday of this week. That’s 250m overall and 37m on Tuesday. 

39 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Chinese Centre for Disease Control estimates that 20% of the population of China has contracted Covid so far in December. They specifically estimate that 2.6% of the population became infected on Tuesday of this week. That’s 250m overall and 37m on Tuesday. 

We're going to find out pretty rapidly how dangerous the prevalent Covid variety is to the unvaccinated elderly. For an authoritarian regime China has been very lax about encouraging vaccination amongst the most vulnerable, I'm sure there are conspiracy theories going around given the demographic problems they have due to their aging population.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Err, if I was nursing cold-like symptoms I absolutely would, yes. I wouldn't be going about coughing and sneezing in people's faces. If I was genuinely ill and bedridden I wouldn't be going out in the first place, would I?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

We're going to find out pretty rapidly how dangerous the prevalent Covid variety is to the unvaccinated elderly. For an authoritarian regime China has been very lax about encouraging vaccination amongst the most vulnerable, I'm sure there are conspiracy theories going around given the demographic problems they have due to their aging population.

We already know from Hong Kong just how much of a disaster it will be. If anything, China will be even worse.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

We’re not, though, because there is absolutely zero chance of China ever giving an accurate reflection of the situation within their borders. They’ll claim it’s all absolutely fine. 

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

We’re not, though, because there is absolutely zero chance of China ever giving an accurate reflection of the situation within their borders. They’ll claim it’s all absolutely fine. 

They might use the death toll as an excuse to round up and execute anyone who complained about Xi Jinping's zero covid policy.

On 23/12/2022 at 17:08, welshbairn said:

If you genuinely have "the flu" you can't move from your bed so I'd imagine that it wouldn't be your choice. One of my bugbears is folk constantly self diagnosing themselves with "the flu" when in fact they have a cough and are a bit under the weather.