Coronavirus (COVID-19)

54 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We've always had cults. And one of the symptoms of cult-like behaviour is that the leader can literally say anything and the cult members will parrot it as though it was indisputable fact. Then the leader will say the exact opposite and the cult will repeat that as though the new "fact" had always been a fact and that they had never previously held any other view.

I think Orwell called this doublespeak but I might have the wrong word here. Either way it is fascinating and horrifying to watch.

It's a classic sign of a total lack of intelligence of the cult members. In many cases, the cult members also suffer very low self-esteem, need constant validation and can't really function outside of a support group. They don't have the intellect to argue a position on anything so they look for people to follow and they can no longer distinguish between themselves and the cult itself. An attack on their leader is this an attack on the cult members personally and they respond with aggression and nothing but personal abuse. The covid thread and the trans threads really are packed with examples of that. There are plenty of people on both threads who have contributed absolutely zero content except for personal attacks. No idea what they gain from doing this because when they engage in this behaviour it just advertises their own personal weaknesses for all to see.

I don't feel too old for this. It's just that as I get older I can see these people for who they really are. I'd feels sorry for them if they weren't so obnoxious as individuals.

Both covid and trans cults will inevitably be defeated though and commonsense will prevail.

In the case of the covid cult it happened when people stopped wearing masks and realised the sky wasn't falling down - even if they caught covid.

In the case of the trans cult it might be when a male rapist is sent to a womens prison and rapes or kills an inmate in there or gets killed himself. At that point the same people who are saying that putting him in that womens prison was the right thing to do will suddenly claim it was a disaster waiting to happen and that heads should roll and that they'd never held any other view. How can I be so certain of this? The covid thread provided many examples of people doing exactly that.

First three paras describes Jonestown and the Peoples Temple exactly.

3 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

First three paras describes Jonestown and the Peoples Temple exactly.

And means the rest of his diatribe falls completely on its arse in the analogy. Who’s the leader of the ‘trans cult’? India Willoughby? Katy Montgomerie? Verity Smith? 

Hospitals in Beijing running out of paracetamol and ibuprofen. Modellers predict a million deaths as Covid waves hit China.

https://www.ft.com/content/b44b2a11-9a8e-4676-9fce-ed2d33dc502a

some more detail on the modelling 

https://www.ft.com/content/4e1f0062-279c-4390-86f8-4d331418a8f5

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Hospitals in Beijing running out of paracetamol and ibuprofen. Modellers predict a million deaths as Covid waves hit China.

https://www.ft.com/content/b44b2a11-9a8e-4676-9fce-ed2d33dc502a

some more detail on the modelling 

https://www.ft.com/content/4e1f0062-279c-4390-86f8-4d331418a8f5

is that a humble brag from you with your FT subs?

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

There should be professional/criminal repercussions for these people IMO.

Surely you are not suggesting they just made stuff up?

That would be truly reprehensible.  Anyone who just makes stuff up in this debate to make a point should be pointed and laughed at!

On 12/12/2022 at 16:15, effeffsee_the2nd said:

mate, I agreed with you for the majority of this threads run. but your sounding like a broken record now and should probably give it a rest

Reeling in Wee Bully is fun tho, m8