Coronavirus (COVID-19)

23 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

China bashing? Mass disability? Ableism? Fascism?

I wondering if Deepti is deliberately trying to destroy her reputation at this point because I can see no good outcome coming from this hysterical nonsense.

Haven't looked at her outputs in a while...

Is there a less useful protection measure than outdoor masking?

Now I am down the rabbit hole. Cheers @oaksoft.

Deepti's tweet is a reply to this one:

Now, as a scientist it takes a lot for me to agree that the term "overwhelming evidence" applies to anything at all. But it relates to this paper: https://covid.dropcite.com/articles/0bda88cc-8aaf-4de6-94f2-4bd23ee5c036

It's about a man with Covid who went jogging in a park for 35 minutes. Here's perhaps the most worrying sentence I have ever read in a scientific paper.

"Of the 2,836 people potentially exposed in the park, 39 tested SARS-CoV-2 positive".

So...who watched this guy jogging? And then rounded up everyone in the park and forced them to mass test?

The paper goes on to say. "Local CDC identified close contacts and at-risk populations by case interviewing, review of surveillance footage and action track positioning." Anyone seen within 1 metre of this guy as he jogged past them, without a mask on,  was locked up in a hotel for 7 days and underwent daily PCR tests.

This is just terrifying, that people live in a state like this.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I'm beginning to realise, depressingly, that it's becoming almost impossible to trust any research at the moment.

The giveaway was when it came to light that the UK Gov were asking only for worst case scenario models, and then using said models to show what "The Science" said in support of their Covid measures.

You don't need to actually look at the outcome of any research to read its findings - you can almost guarantee they will have found exactly what those who funded the research wanted it to.

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You don't need to actually look at the outcome of any research to read its findings - you can almost guarantee they will have found exactly what those who funded the research wanted it to.

I wonder if @Elixir funded the Swedish research?

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

FFS mate, time to give it a rest eh?

We can all see for ourselves that he has no data to back up his view.

No need to bang on about it in every post.

He told us categorically that Sweden hadn’t suffered an increase in child speech development issues.

You might think that he just made it up, and has no data to back up his view.  I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and allowing him to come back to the thread with the missing detail.  

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I have a feeling you're about to receive a very well deserved "mind your own fucking business" response.

I sense it in the air.

Just giving you a heads-up.

It pretty much is over except for a few situations.

You’re probably right.

I just think that we should treat this just like flu.

If you feel terrible just go to bed or stay in for a few days until you feel better.

To go to the level of testing yourself just seems daft and a waste of time and resources.

I just want us to be the exact opposite of China.

Get over it and live your life (or die).

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You’re probably right.

I just think that we should treat this just like flu.

If you feel terrible just go to bed or stay in for a few days until you feel better.

To go to the level of testing yourself just seems daft and a waste of time and resources.

I just want us to be the exact opposite of China.

Get over it and live your life (or die).

There are test kits available in the US that contain two tests - one for Covid and one for Influenza A & B.

Given that previous estimates put symptomatic influenza rates somewhere in the region of 20% of infections the milking of the hypochondriac gravy train hasn't even begun to slow down.

The lockdown lovers/Covid psychos really aren't taking the news of China beginning to call it a day and emerging evidence like this well at all:

On one end of the horseshoe you have this lot, and on the other you have the Detournement clan. Both believe everything that has happened or is happening is because of different conspiracies. It's unhinged hilarity.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's certainly unhinged but I'd stop at calling it "hilarity".

The actions of extremists and their Twitter fanboys on both sides have directly led to countless deaths, closed businesses and worldwide debt problems which could well take over 100 years to fix. The scale of the damage these people have caused is genuinely breathtaking.

If there was a good argument needed for excluding all extremists from public office, this experience was it.

Pure copium.

The damage was caused purely by the lockdownphiles.

They should own it.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I remember people who questioned this were being asked for their medical and/or science certificates to prove they had the right to voice that opinion.

And I also remember that when actual medical and science people started saying the same thing the accusations started flying that they were in the pay of "bad actors" and that they were corrupt right-wing "Trumpians" who were happy to see millions of people die.

Covid was a great example of group-think.

Another great example of group-think is the trans debate on the other thread where people are so blinded to reason that they are actually defending the rights of a child rapist.

It's not been a great couple of years for any of those people hoping to display a modicum of intelligence,  commonsense or even basic decency. 😂

I disagree with you on some  of your political beliefs but boy, you’ve hit the nail on the head with this post.

These people with those cultist beliefs with no scientific basis - where do they come from? Are schools teaching this stuff or is it just the latest fashionable trend?

On the trans debate and the cancelling of people who challenge the current perceived wisdom, it just seems that the world has gone crazy. 
Back in 2020, my wife and I had a conversation and decided that we would NOT go along with the Covid restrictions and lockdowns and that, in our opinion , these would do more harm than good and the more we witness now, the more convinced we become that we were correct.

Apart from the medical arguments I well remember the articles and essays by Lord Sumption which articulated how human beings are social creatures and to stop or restrict contact would end badly in terms of mental health and general wellbeing and would have long term bad consequences. Just look at China at the most extreme end of the spectrum.

Maybe I’m just too old for this?