Coronavirus (COVID-19)

42 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Nothing to do with a serious backlog of cases? Missed cancer referrals, missed heart checks etc. during lockdown? And then there is the current NHS crisis - massive waiting times even for ambulances. 

I assume you're having a no-evidence pop at the vaccine. 

Your first paragraph has no evidence.

After large excess deaths in 2020 we should now be in a period of negative excess deaths. 

The NHS backlogs were caused by the unnecessary middle class leftie lockdowns which attempted to protect the healthy and wealthy at the expense of the working class and the vulnerable. 

I am merely asking why there is no mention of the vaccines as a possible cause and why no-one is investigating the possibility.

Why do you not want this investigated? 

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

More thinly veiled anti vaxx sentiment emoji1787.png

It’s odd why folk try to shut this topic down with “anti vax” slurs

Being sceptical of the covid vaccine does entail being sceptical of vaccines in general 

42 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I'm sure it does. What I listed above can probably account for most of it.  But a 10% variation against the average is not that unusual. 

number-of-deaths-in-the-united-kingdom-u

A sustained 10% variation from April to September is most definitely unusual.

The fluctuations in the number of deaths from year to year are usually as a result of increased deaths over the winter 

Edited by Captain Saintsible

3 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Being sceptical of the covid vaccine does entail being sceptical of vaccines in general 

The fluctuations in the number of deaths from year to year are usually as a result of increased deaths over the winter 

It comes hand in hand as skepticism over the safety/approval process. You are casting doubt on that. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

I come at this completely neutral.

Im naturally pro vax as I've had all that have been offered.

However, these figures are concerning and I definitely would like to see a proper investigation.

Your points are fair.

1 hour ago, Captain Saintsible said:

I am merely asking why there is no mention of the vaccines as a possible cause and why no-one is investigating the possibility.

Why do you not want this investigated? 

But is has been investigated and the vaccine itself is known to cause deaths.  For an average person receiving 1 dose of the AZ vaccine, the risk of death caused by the vaccine is 1 in a million. 

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The figures are concerning. @scottsdad 

Vaccines are waaaaaaaay down the list of likely triggers for these excess deaths but that won't stop nutters spouting any old conspiracy theory garbage they read on Twitter and Facebook. We have a few of those on this forum. @Detournement and @Captain Saintsible are just two of them but there are others.

How did you come to that conclusion?

There's a theory that the excess deaths are partly due to heart trouble as an after effect of the Omicron variant. Anecdotally my mother was hospitalised for arrythmia a month after recovering from Covid, thankfully home again last week.

Edited by welshbairn

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's a theory that the excess deaths are partly due to heart trouble as an after effect of the Omicron variant. Anecdotally my mother was hospitalised for arrythmia a month after recovering from Covid, thankfully home again last week.

The problem is that with the level of public exposure to Covid / Omicron being so high, and the vaccine coverage being similarly high, we will genuinely never be able to answer that question one way or the other.

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The problem is that with the level of public exposure to Covid / Omicron being so high, and the vaccine coverage being similarly high, we will genuinely never be able to answer that question one way or the other.

There are millions of unvaxxed adults in the UK.

There are also millions of people with only 1 or 2 shots.

I for one am glad that the conspiracy theory nuts are still going strong. Despite all the evidence, they still believe. I wish I had such faith in something.

The only thing remotely close is the pro-Brexit folk who still believe that it is a roaring success, and that anything not working is because people don't believe in Britain hard enough.

I'm a member of YouGov and they do a daily poll and one of the questions today was what should be the priority regarding Covid.

Screenshot_2022-09-22-15-44-48-312_com.yougov.mobile.online.thumb.jpg.7298b6c78096eb607d04a0e5b112fe8d.jpg

I can't believe the "SaVe EvRy LiFe" is still scoring so high, especially at a time when we have rising costs and an economy on the verge of recession.

I guess for a lot of people it's a emotive response.

Edited by NorthernLights

6 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I'm a member of YouGov and they do a daily poll and one of the questions today was what should be the priority regarding Covid.

Screenshot_2022-09-22-15-44-48-312_com.yougov.mobile.online.thumb.jpg.7298b6c78096eb607d04a0e5b112fe8d.jpg

I can't believe the "SaVe EvRy LiFe" is still scoring so high, especially at a time when we have rising costs and an economy on the verge of recession.

I guess for a lot of people it's a emotive response.

That seems to be rather restrictive options   

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

It also correlates with a lot of other stuff like an increase in covid cases, long covid, delayed referrals, reduced treatments, cancelled operations and a myriad of other things.

Only you can explain why you are ruling out all of these because you've read some random guy post totally unsubstantiated shitey rumours and speculation on Twitter.

Mainly because it's across all age groups. Covid cases were high before the recent uptick in excess deaths and the factors you mention can't explain higher excess deaths in people under 40.

The idea that Long Covid is killing healthy people is a new one.