Coronavirus (COVID-19)

57 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I had assumed that people in these videos are running away so they don't get caught as a close contact and have severe isolation at home or in a Covid facility.  I don't know though.

I guessed the same but seeing the panic made me link the two together and hence the question.

47 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Are Norway still the number one blueprint for an independent Scotland? Would the Scottish Government ever have the integrity to be this transparent?

I don't think anyone doubted that even in the midst of the pandemic. The policy in Norway like nearly everywhere else was about mitigating the spread from children to demographics far more at risk. It was well known from early on that the risk from Covid to children was very small.

Edited by welshbairn

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think anyone doubted that even in the midst of the pandemic. The policy in Norway like nearly everywhere else was about mitigating the spread from children to demographics far more at risk. It was well known from early on that the risk from Covid to children was very small.

To be fair, Scotland and the UK, along with the Nordics and most of Europe, was far better at keeping schools open than the shit shows in North America, some of which are still ongoing. Reflection and acknowledgement from the Scottish Government and their pet cheerleader Sridhar wouldn't go amiss. Schools never should have shut, regardless of how much impact they had on community spread, because chasing zero transmission of the virus was always a fantasy. Throwing bairns under the bus to try and save 85-year-old Selma for another few months should also not have been a reasonable trade-off. Other areas of society never should have seen a blanket shutdown either which later led to 'what should reopen first' arguments. Both have contributed to the consequences that are now emerging in kids' development and the inflation nightmare, respectively.

Edited by Elixir

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

To be fair, Scotland and the UK, along with the Nordics and most of Europe, was far better at keeping schools open than the shit shows in North America, some of which are still ongoing. Reflection and acknowledgement from the Scottish Government and their pet cheerleader Sridhar wouldn't go amiss. Schools never should have shut, regardless of how much impact they had on community spread, because chasing zero transmission of the virus was always a fantasy. Throwing bairns under the bus to try and save 85-year-old Selma for another few months should also not be a reasonable trade-off. Other areas of society never should have seen a blanket shutdown either which later led to 'what should reopen first' arguments. Both have contributed to the consequences that are now emerging in kids' development and the inflation nightmare, respectively.

I don't think zero covid was ever seen as strategy in Scotland beyond the summer of 2020 when it seemed possible, and Todd declared the crisis over. I'm sure when all the analysis is done it will be clear that loads of mistakes were made, over reactions as well as early under reactions. What should be remembered is that at times 40 thousand people were in hospital in the UK with Covid, so whatever had been done there would have been cancelled appointments, nowhere safe to look after the elderly, and I can understand the panic about doing everything possible to slow the spread, even if in retrospect wrong decisions were made. 

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't think zero covid was ever seen as strategy in Scotland beyond the summer of 2020 when it seemed possible, and Todd declared the crisis over. I'm sure when all the analysis is done it will be clear that loads of mistakes were made, over reactions as well as early under reactions. What should be remembered is that at times 40 thousand people were in hospital in the UK with Covid, so whatever had been done there would have been cancelled appointments, nowhere safe to look after the elderly, and I can understand the panic about doing everything possible to slow the spread, even if in retrospect wrong decisions were made. 

You must be smoking some strong shit 😂😂😂

I seem to remember Nicola confirming her commitment to the aim of elimination long after 2020 but correct me if I am wrong.

That is before you even get to the disproportionate and damaging restrictions maintained by the Scottish Government beyond the summer of 2021. The Christmas shutdown and masks in schools being just two examples of the worst of it.

At every step the SG called the UK government “reckless” but always had to backdown eventually (along with other countries) when reality struck.

2 hours ago, KingswellsRed said:

seem to remember Nicola confirming her commitment to the aim of elimination long after 2020 but correct me if I am wrong.

Still talking about it in March 2021, but dropped it by June of the same year.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56347695

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-in-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-puts-faith-in-vaccines-and-ditches-elimination-plan-mkz5t7q8t

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

'I don't think zero covid was ever seen as strategy in Scotland beyond the summer of 2020 when it seemed possible'. 🤪🥴 It never seemed possible at any point after December 2019/January 2020. I knew this as early as when Sturgeon first wanted to be like Jacinda. Why did some of our 'leaders' and 'experts' not? Gross incompetence? Pure politics?

Would the impact on British hospitals have been any worse without the blanket shutdown of society, or would it simply have also peaked and fell regardless? The evidence from Sweden certainly shows their health system never collapsed at any point.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Another L for Simper in Chief!

Edited by Elixir

2 hours ago, The Master said:

It might be pedantic but I think "zero covid" is about eradication, the first link makes clear that they didn't that was possible.

Chief Medical Officer Dr Gregor Smith said he did not believe coronavirus could be "eradicated", but said an elimination strategy of driving case numbers as low as possible would make outbreaks more manageable.

Edited by welshbairn

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It might be pedantic but I think "zero covid" is about eradication, the first link makes clear that they didn't that was possible.

Just can't help yourself. 😭

Our resident hand wringer in work has come back to school this week and has insisted on continuing to wear her FFP2 mask even though the requirement has been dropped in Italian schools. This is her choice of course but she followed it up with a big announcement at the staff meeting by saying she will, "not be coming into the staff room this year because many different people use it and as the windows are not open regularly, it's just too high risk for infection. I don't want the new staff to think I am anti-social however".

Naw, you're a rocket!

20 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Our resident hand wringer in work has come back to school this week and has insisted on continuing to wear her FFP2 mask even though the requirement has been dropped in Italian schools. This is her choice of course but she followed it up with a big announcement at the staff meeting by saying she will, "not be coming into the staff room this year because many different people use it and as the windows are not open regularly, it's just too high risk for infection. I don't want the new staff to think I am anti-social however".

Naw, you're a rocket!

Pathetic!

You might refer her to a recent article in The Spectator where Fraser Nelson interviews Sunak about the decision making regarding Covid and it’s quite frightening as to how the Sage people did not take into account the downsides of lockdown. Ministers tried to put counter arguments but were forced into draconian measures by all the ridiculous estimates of deaths being put to them, especially by the Imperial College team. Very difficult to go against such forecasts which have now been shown to be totally wrong with the downsides causing even more havoc than could have been realised at the time.

4 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Pathetic!

You might refer her to a recent article in The Spectator where Fraser Nelson interviews Sunak about the decision making regarding Covid and it’s quite frightening as to how the Sage people did not take into account the downsides of lockdown. Ministers tried to put counter arguments but were forced into draconian measures by all the ridiculous estimates of deaths being put to them, especially by the Imperial College team. Very difficult to go against such forecasts which have now been shown to be totally wrong with the downsides causing even more havoc than could have been realised at the time.

Fraser Nelson interviewing Rishi SUnak in the Spectator is exactly what will convince her!

17 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

And why not?

Would she prefer Carole Cadwalladr interviewing Nicola  Sturgeon?

From the description of her, yes.

“I know what will persuade you, a Fraser Nelson article from the Spectator”, said no one ever.