Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

No chance. Businesses and employers are on a survival.of the fittest footing already with the cost of living.

The govt would be utterly mad to add to that

It would also have a devastating impact on mental health because it would be the starkest indication yet that we’ll be facing restrictions every winter. 

21 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

A personal favourite of mine. A bunch of kids (and adults) didn't gain shitloads of weight because they were told they couldn't leave the house and ate shite out of boredom, it was that darn long covid again

You just know if anyone is going to 'suffer from long covid' it will be people like Jamie Oliver and his wife.

18 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If we get a prolonged energy crisis we're in trouble finding money to pay for any help needed. If we get a properly serious pandemic - an eBola type thing with the ease of spread of covid for example then we are absolutely buggered because there's no money to cope with it. That's what worries me more than anything.

Public health's reputation is in the mud as well and will take a generation or more to rebuild trust.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62637318

The annual fireworks display which traditionally signals the end of the Edinburgh International Festival will not take place this year.

The 45-minute show from Edinburgh Castle, which began in 1982, usually attracts more than 250,000 spectators.

The display did not take place in 2020 or 2021 due to Covid restrictions.

Organisers said the pandemic had also led to the cancellation of the fireworks this year, which is the 75th anniversary of the festival.

???

On 20/08/2022 at 21:44, Bairnardo said:

No chance. Businesses and employers are on a survival.of the fittest footing already with the cost of living.

The govt would be utterly mad to add to that

Did not bother Scottish Government when they were trying to decimate the Entertainment and Hospitality industry to prove they were better than England.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Why waste millions on a wee fireworks display when you can still just blame auld covid. Hogmanay probably cut back to 30 seconds worth - or just a single rocket fired out Mons Meg.

Covid has cancelled Easdale’s famous world stone skimming championship – again.

Dates for the event that normally attracts skimmers from around the globe had already been announced for this September but the ‘continuous and continuing’ impact of Covid has taken its toll once more.

A spokesperson for the championships said: ‘It is with great regret that I have to tell you that due to the continuous and continuing impact of Covid on the organisation, we have had to cancel the World Stone Skimming Championship 2022 and are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.’

The announcement of calling it off for 2022 stirred up disappointment on Facebook for many would-be attendees.

One comment read: ‘The Highland Games are back on, the Seil Scarecrow Week is back on, surely the stone skimming can restart.’

Another said: ‘It’s such a shame.’

https://www.obantimes.co.uk/2022/07/30/755326/

Even stone skimming world championship was cancelled this year "cos Covid". Sometimes I wonder if since things have been postponed/cancelled for the last couple of years some people have forgotten how much work they need to do to get these things up and running again or some people just simply can't be arsed any more after the time off.

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Why is the journalist not asking why Covid is stopping them, seems the most fundamental question rather than just sticking a press release on the BBC website.

From the article itself.

They said that at the time a decision was due to be made on going ahead with the event, they were not confident it could be delivered within the guidance at the time.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Why is the journalist not asking why Covid is stopping them, seems the most fundamental question rather than just sticking a press release on the BBC website.

Because that would require sticking one's head above the parapet.

1 hour ago, MacDuffman said:

From the article itself.

They said that at the time a decision was due to be made on going ahead with the event, they were not confident it could be delivered within the guidance at the time.

Large parts of the world were getting back to normality a whole year ago. How much time do they need? Better cancel next year while we're at it in case a new super variant appears!

When the wife and I were away the other week, we had to wear masks in the b&b when going in and out, and when entering the breakfast room. When I paid the bill, the woman had the card machine inside a food bag, and stood about 10 feet away while I paid, then binned the food bag straight after.  Felt a bit weird.

12 minutes ago, philpy said:

When the wife and I were away the other week, we had to wear masks in the b&b when going in and out, and when entering the breakfast room. When I paid the bill, the woman had the card machine inside a food bag, and stood about 10 feet away while I paid, then binned the food bag straight after.  Felt a bit weird.

4 hours ago, MacDuffman said:

From the article itself.

Similar energy here…

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Are posters really still burrowing away in here about how people need to move on from Covid, while everyone else has instead, just moved on from Covid?

^^^ Posting in the covid thread to show he's moved on from Covid much more than people who post in the Covid thread...

Watching a new hotel show on BBC2 last night, one of the hotels featured was the Europa in Belfast, once famous for being the most frequently bombed hotel in Europe.

It was filmed last year as lockdown restrictions were ending, and they had booked Van Morrison to play 4 nights. They had hoped that restrictions on live music would be lifted in time, but two hours before the first show the decision was made that live music would still not be allowed.

This meant the Europa could show a previous concert on big screens in their main function hall, with Van and his band on the stage but not allowed to play or sing. The PSNI turned up to make sure nobody was breaking any rules.