Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Tbh mainly through my lack of homework, I was a bit caught off guard by the Spanish airport I went through demanding my vaccine status.

Then I wondered why they are bothering, and surely they are going to have to bin this soon, as there's just no way folk are going to continue with boosters

I wasn't asked for mine when entering Spain. Several staff shouting 'random check, keep moving' at the queue of arrivals, but I wasn't picked out. I believe the regions of Spain often have slightly different approaches, so it may not be the same across the country.  

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the booster. As far as I can tell, no expiry date has been put on them yet, whereas many countries have 270 days for the second dose. Spain however does not have an expiry date for the second dose for those aged 12-17, who continue to qualify as fully vaccinated, presumably in accordance with their own vaccination programme. 

50 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I must be missing something because to me it looks like a continuation of a trend of clubs closing since 2005.

There's no noticeable covid effect on that trend.

In fact, that's as close to a statistical straight line as you could realistically hope to see.

You need to back up statements like this with an rnumber and a couple of citations. 

Retirement has made you rusty...

2 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

maybe going out on the lash is just slowly going out of fashion?

Went to the Three Sisters on Saturday and it cost me £29 for 4 pints and a vodka and coke.  

So can understand why some people might just not bother going to clubs/pubs anymore at those prices. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

Tbh mainly through my lack of homework, I was a bit caught off guard by the Spanish airport I went through demanding my vaccine status.

Then I wondered why they are bothering, and surely they are going to have to bin this soon, as there's just no way folk are going to continue with boosters
Only reason I was paying attention to it is because we are going to Disneyland Paris in September. My wife and I's jags are all up to date, but my daughter hasn't had any as she has a severe needle phobia. This will save us the cost of having to get a PCR test for her before we go.

24 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Went to the Three Sisters on Saturday and it cost me £29 for 4 pints and a vodka and coke.  

So can understand why some people might just not bother going to clubs/pubs anymore at those prices. 

fuckin hell was it 4 pints of vodka?  TBF i haven't bought a pint since 2014 so i'm a bit out of the loop but is £5 plus the norm now? didn't think it was that bad!

11 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

fuckin hell was it 4 pints of vodka?  TBF i haven't bought a pint since 2014 so i'm a bit out of the loop but is £5 plus the norm now? didn't think it was that bad!

4 pints of beer and a vodka and coke. Still a rip off mate. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

Nightclubs are pretty shite, tbf. Better with a nice wee bar or proper boozer.
Definitely. Back in my 20s though the only option was to go to the "dancing" if you wanted to carry on drinking. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I actually danced.

17 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
58 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Definitely. Back in my 20s though the only option was to go to the "dancing" if you wanted to carry on drinking. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I actually danced.

Always felt the UK was pretty backwards for enforcing alcohol sales by the clock, after doing away with it you would get a wee upsurge in bother for a while until the novelty wears off then it will gradually settle down, people will just stay out till they've had enough rather than trying to tan as much as they can before the bar shuts. 

However it has to be said, with maturity you'll come to realize that the British standard timeline for a night out i.e. starting around 8 ish and finishing in the early hours is by far the best, the only issue the cut offs for pubs and clubs is just an hour or 2 early causing an unnecessary rush.  I've visited mates living on the continent before and those lazy foreigners don't even leave the pre drinking house/ flat till after 1 . go to clubs at 4 am and get home sometime around 7, the entire following day is completely fucked and you're out of sorts the day after that too. 

On 29/07/2022 at 09:44, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I've not been on this thread in yonks but was wondering who the people would vote as the most right about Covid on Pie and Bovril, after two years of disagreements and strong arguments on all sides. 

I don't want this to turn into a Main Players v Needy Boomers thing. I'm genuinely interested.

Is this a joke? It has quite clearly been The Guys.

7 hours ago, Elixir said:

Of course, but if all the people who like night clubs can still go to them, it makes pubs better for the rest of us.

16 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Good article explaining what a total minter Germany has become:

https://www.thelocal.de/20220704/opinion-why-germany-cant-break-out-of-its-covid-rule-rut/

I seem to recall that it was a “total minter” that Scotland was “just about the only” country retaining restrictions.  Was this a massive misstatement by the Main Players?