Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, virginton said:

It doesn't though. 

NB: And 'I need to wear a mask to stop the SCUM on the street from passing on their virus to me and ruin my precious holiday' is a particularly dreadful look. 

No one is saying they are wearing a mask in the street. Not like you to sensationalise a perfectly rational comment / position on this…

Edited by Munter

10 hours ago, Munter said:

No one is saying they are wearing a mask in the street. Not like you to sensationalise a perfectly rational comment / position on this…

There's nothing "perfectly rational" about it at all, given that face coverings are demonstrably useless against the Omicron wave and the main source of infection that would ruin your precious family holiday would come from... a member of the family anyway.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

There's nothing "perfectly rational" about it at all, given that face coverings are demonstrably useless against the Omicron wave and the main source of infection that would ruin your precious family holiday would come from... a member of the family anyway.

It's clear that there are people who either can't, or won't, accept that, short of locking every one in their homes, it's abundantly clear nothing that can be done to prevent catching an airborne virus.

It's much more comforting for these people to have a scapegoat (i.e. anyone who isn't them) to blame for when they inevitably catch it, rather than acknowledge they've been acting completely irrationally, potentially missing out on enjoying their life, for the last 27 months.

Sticking with irrational nonsense, a wild Christina Pagel has resurfaced with her psycho advice:

Christina Pagel:

“I’ve never stopped wearing a mask on public transport and in shops. I now also wear one during face-to-face meetings at work and would if I was going to the cinema, theatre, etc. However, I have chosen to restrict my social activities or meet outside wherever possible during these weeks of very high levels of infection. Many will not be able to restrict their contacts, so a well-fitting, high-quality mask (FFP2/FFP3) is even more important to try to reduce their chance of catching Covid or of spreading it.”

'Restricting social activities' after fully 27 months and several doses of a vaccine - in the middle of summer - to avoid a wave of glorified colds. Completely unhinged behaviour.

Somehow I doubt Pagel gets much of choice in sitting in her house alone! 

19 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

The increase in excess deaths since the start of the latest booster campaign continues

Latest ONS figures today

The number of deaths registered in the UK in the week ending 24 June 2022 (Week 25) was 12,278, which was 15.9 % above the five-year average (1,682 excess deaths); of these deaths, 346 involved COVID-19

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending24june2022

This is the greatest health disaster in history and it’s entirely man made 

Do excess deaths not fluctuate all of the time? That is why they work out a five year average. 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

They seem to be particularly high right now.

I suspect the most likely cause has been putting people (particularly old and vulnerable people) through more than 2 years of blind fear, panic and stress and then continuous delaying of treatment and diagnoses of all sorts of illnesses and disease.

There was never going to be a pathway through covid which didn't result in deaths - as many of us were banging on about throughout.

Makes all those arguments about morality look even dafter in retrospect than they looked at the time.

Leave covid to run wild - some people will die.

Panic and close everything down - some other people will die.

Those were the choices.

Not sure if the guy you are responding to truly believes vaccines caused all of these excess deaths or is just trolling because he's bored. Possibly a bit of both.

I agree with your analysis.

Just hope somebody, somewhere is carrying out a study to find out whether ‘just letting things rip’ would have been the better policy or not?

So it would've been a different @oaksoft who was the biggest panic merchant on BAWA back at the start of the, erm, pandemic. :whistle

100,000 infections worldwide and the graphs I am looking at still look exponential in nature.

That trend should be concerning everyone but Faraway Saint assures us all that it's "just the fecking flu" so I, for one, am reassured.

I'm not gonna bother going back to find out when you made your U-turn on the issue just highlighting another example of your inconsistency...

People should consider what they mean by "excess deaths" before putting heavy meanings into it. It is the comparison between the current deaths and the average taken over a 5 year period (2015-2019). Like any average, half the time deaths will be higher and half the time they will be lower. 

But some context:

In 2020, 689,000 people died in the UK. That compares to 604,000 in 2019. Go back further, in 2011 there were 552,000 deaths in the UK. A whole range of factors come in to play when looking at the raw number of deaths in the UK. 

Deaths fell fairly consistently and gradually from 1976 (681,000 deaths) to 1997 (633,000). Then they fell very rapidly from 1997 to 2011, a consistent and sharp downward trend. Since 2011 they have risen sharply (I would say a Labour government followed by a Tory one is as good an explanation as any). 

So when people really atomise "excess deaths" and say it is because of this or that, they should consider the context that deaths (regardless of Covid) have been on a rapid upward trend since the Tories came into power. 

33 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

About 3 weeks later (around the first week in April 2020) when the death rate transitioned from exponential to linear.

i.e. the science told me it wasn't going to be the disaster we thought it might be.

No idea what point you are trying to make here.

Hah so your a scientist - that's a joke you're about the biggest blowhard on here forever changing your opinions.

The only thing that doesn't change is your supercillious attitude. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

People should consider what they mean by "excess deaths" before putting heavy meanings into it. It is the comparison between the current deaths and the average taken over a 5 year period (2015-2019). Like any average, half the time deaths will be higher and half the time they will be lower. 

But some context:

In 2020, 689,000 people died in the UK. That compares to 604,000 in 2019. Go back further, in 2011 there were 552,000 deaths in the UK. A whole range of factors come in to play when looking at the raw number of deaths in the UK. 

Deaths fell fairly consistently and gradually from 1976 (681,000 deaths) to 1997 (633,000). Then they fell very rapidly from 1997 to 2011, a consistent and sharp downward trend. Since 2011 they have risen sharply (I would say a Labour government followed by a Tory one is as good an explanation as any). 

So when people really atomise "excess deaths" and say it is because of this or that, they should consider the context that deaths (regardless of Covid) have been on a rapid upward trend since the Tories came into power. 

The ONS take all that into account when they calculate Excess Deaths.

7000 excess deaths at home in 6 months in Scotland is not a normal deviation from the mean. 

About 3 weeks later (around the first week in April 2020) when the death rate transitioned from exponential to linear.
i.e. the science told me it wasn't going to be the disaster we thought it might be.
No idea what point you are trying to make here.
When did lockdown start again?

I can report, that I'm back to the ONLY person at work with no mask.

The revolution has been called off!!!!

1 Bonus, my son is not wearing.

REMEMBER WEARING A MASK IN THAILAND IS NOT MANDATORY (up to you)

I was asked on Monday why.  I said I've have my 3 jags (vaccine) have you? Yes? Then what else do you want me to do?

66 deaths in road accidents yesterday

19 reported deaths (which tested positive for C19) Aged 15 to 99 ffs

Edited by SlipperyP

On 06/07/2022 at 12:39, scottsdad said:

The age distribution of a population is going to play a massive part in this. The median and average age of the population has been rising for years, with the median age rising above 40 for the first time in the early 2010s. A better explanation for the increase is almost certainly that the relatively large baby boomer population began moving into the age group where you'd expect fairly significant deaths per year.

It's also the reason it felt like we were seeing far higher numbers of 'celebrity' deaths from the mid 2010s onwards. Because the number of celebrities boomed in the 1960s and 1970s when those people were likely in their 20s and by the 2010s, they were in their 60s and 70s.

Edited by Gordon EF

17 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I can report, that I'm back to the ONLY person at work with no mask.

The revolution has been called off!!!!

1 Bonus, my son is not wearing.

REMEMBER WEARING A MASK IN THAILAND IS NOT MANDATORY (up to you)

I was asked on Monday why.  I said I've have my 3 jags (vaccine) have you? Yes? Then what else do you want me to do?

66 deaths in road accidents yesterday

19 reported deaths (which tested positive for C19) Aged 15 to 99 ffs

I don't know if we ( western Europeans or whatever ) are too blase or if a lot of the world are massive hypochondriacs.  My mrs is from the Caribbean and a fair number of them ( way higher than here) act like covid means certain death, fair enough they don't have free healthcare or an insurance system but 90 % won't even need to trouble the doctors for it. A few year ago i had a bit of cold / flu and she went way OTT in trying to look after me, more than just cups of lemsip and benalyn, it was nice at first but eventually I had to invite her to give herself peace as i was a bit no well but hardly dying.

On 06/07/2022 at 07:59, virginton said:

Sticking with irrational nonsense, a wild Christina Pagel has resurfaced with her psycho advice:

'Restricting social activities' after fully 27 months and several doses of a vaccine - in the middle of summer - to avoid a wave of glorified colds. Completely unhinged behaviour.

Somehow I doubt Pagel gets much of choice in sitting in her house alone!

Any normal person can see the likes of her, Gurdasani, Reicher, etc, are not rational actors - their behaviour is completely at odds with the overwhelming majority of the population. This was evident long ago, yet these clowns are inexplicably still invited onto the tele for their 'expertise'. 🥴

On 06/07/2022 at 15:25, Detournement said:

The ONS take all that into account when they calculate Excess Deaths.

7000 excess deaths at home in 6 months in Scotland is not a normal deviation from the mean.

DEFINITELY the poison vaxx and not because disease diagnosis and treatment were torpedoed for two years! Amirite, m8?

Never trust anyone on either side of the covid argument who uses a phrase like "100% wrong".

What if someone said that covid was delivered to earth by 30 foot tall purple aliens who personally infected people by kissing them on the forehead? Would that still not be "100% wrong"?