Coronavirus (COVID-19)

He's saying that he believes it came from American biotechnology but there has been no investigation so he can't say with any certainty. He then says he believes that the lack of an investigation is because they are hiding their guilt. 
It's a huge statement from a completely credible mainstream figure. Despite that it probably won't have any more impact than the information that the Oil companies knew about and covered up climate change for decades. 
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Terrific work here

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Specsavers today. Staff all masked up. An old guy walked in and immediately apologised for forgetting his. The staff whapped out a boxful and gave him one. 

It was really strange all round. 

I was in Specsavers this morning too.

The staff were all masked up, but none of the customers were and that was clearly fine.  Nothing was said at all.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

In bank today, Virgin Money. About 80% customers and staff masked.

In Morrison’s. About 50%.

The fear is back!

Was in Morrisons today. Not one person was wearing one. 

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

He's comparing not wearing a mask to shutting your eyes when crossing a busy street and hoping for the best. 🤣

I cannot believe that, 27 months down the line, people still use such dumbed down analogies to argue for something. The difference now is that many people aren't buying it anymore, and that includes politicians.

If masks worked there would be clear data that could be presented to show this. But they don't, hence why they can't do so.

The only people still trying to draw covid out are the fringe celebrity experts who seemingly don't understand that pretty much everyone has moved on to the latest things like Ukraine and the cost of living now.

On 30/06/2022 at 17:38, Elixir said:

Tbf, I wasn't being entirely serious and knew it would trigger some of the usual suspects. My conscious couldn't allow me to vote 'No' at the very least. The thing is, when life is normal, there's no issue. 

What about your subconscious? Might that permit it? 

Maybe you could cast an unconscious vote.

It's worth looking into.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

It's not bizarre at all. 

The fear dial has been turned down on the telly and social media. It'll be turned back up for the next pandemic.

I'm sure we all can't wait for your takes on that when the time comes.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What about your subconscious? Might that permit it? 

Maybe you could cast an unconscious vote.

It's worth looking into.

Ah, you got me, m8.

I tested "positive" 3 weeks ago. Symptoms were mild compared to the wife's, who had the loss of taste and smell. Work didn't let me back until I had 2 negatives in 24 hours. I was only off for a week thankfully.  When I tested I used the newer kits, but one out of sheer boredom I tried one of the old kits, but tested negative.  Just goes to show that test kits are nowhere near 100% accurate.

12 hours ago, philpy said:

I tested "positive" 3 weeks ago. Symptoms were mild compared to the wife's, who had the loss of taste and smell. Work didn't let me back until I had 2 negatives in 24 hours. I was only off for a week thankfully.  When I tested I used the newer kits, but one out of sheer boredom I tried one of the old kits, but tested negative.  Just goes to show that test kits are nowhere near 100% accurate.

The lesson from your story.

Stop testing.

18 hours ago, Munter said:

Could it be they are planning to travel in the next week or so? I’m off at the end of this week with the family and we’ll all be masked up for the airport and flight. 

Screw getting covid on the way to the beach. If wearing a FFP2 mask can reduce the chances by 10% or more then I for one am happy to put up with the abuse. 

It doesn't though. 

NB: And 'I need to wear a mask to stop the SCUM on the street from passing on their virus to me and ruin my precious holiday' is a particularly dreadful look. 

Edited by vikingTON

19 hours ago, Munter said:

Could it be they are planning to travel in the next week or so? I’m off at the end of this week with the family and we’ll all be masked up for the airport and flight. 

Screw getting covid on the way to the beach. If wearing a FFP2 mask can reduce the chances by 10% or more then I for one am happy to put up with the abuse. 

My missus went on holiday with her mum and sister last month. Her mother was petrified of catching covid and wore her mask the full time in the airport. After 10 minutes on the flight she took it off and never wore one again. 

The increase in excess deaths since the start of the latest booster campaign continues

Latest ONS figures today

The number of deaths registered in the UK in the week ending 24 June 2022 (Week 25) was 12,278, which was 15.9 % above the five-year average (1,682 excess deaths); of these deaths, 346 involved COVID-19

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending24june2022

This is the greatest health disaster in history and it’s entirely man made 

3 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

The increase in excess deaths since the start of the latest booster campaign continues

Latest ONS figures today

The number of deaths registered in the UK in the week ending 24 June 2022 (Week 25) was 12,278, which was 15.9 % above the five-year average (1,682 excess deaths); of these deaths, 346 involved COVID-19

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending24june2022

Sad John Cena GIF

Latest ONS figures today

[emoji23]

Regardless of cause, it's rather revealing how quickly the "care more" brigade stopped harking on about excess deaths as soon as it became clear they were not being driven by Covid.

It's almost as though they never really cared that much about them being "people not just statistics" afterall.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Regardless of cause, it's rather revealing how quickly the "care more" brigade stopped harking on about excess deaths as soon as it became clear they were not being driven by Covid.

It's almost as though they never really cared that much about them being "people not just statistics" afterall.

There was a period of mass hysteria. This an FT editorial from April 2020.

If there is a silver lining to the Covid-19 pandemic, it is that it has injected a sense of togetherness into polarised societies. But the virus, and the economic lockdowns needed to combat it, also shine a glaring light on existing inequalities — and even create new ones. Beyond defeating the disease, the great test all countries will soon face is whether current feelings of common purpose will shape society after the crisis. As western leaders learnt in the Great Depression, and after the second world war, to demand collective sacrifice you must offer a social contract that benefits everyone. Today’s crisis is laying bare how far many rich societies fall short of this ideal. Much as the struggle to contain the pandemic has exposed the unpreparedness of health systems, so the brittleness of many countries’ economies has been exposed, as governments scramble to stave off mass bankruptcies and cope with mass unemployment. Despite inspirational calls for national mobilisation, we are not really all in this together. The economic lockdowns are imposing the greatest cost on those already worst off. Overnight millions of jobs and livelihoods have been lost in hospitality, leisure and related sectors, while better paid knowledge workers often face only the nuisance of working from home. Worse, those in low-wage jobs who can still work are often risking their lives — as carers and healthcare support workers, but also as shelf stackers, delivery drivers and cleaners. Governments’ extraordinary budget support for the economy, while necessary, will in some ways make matters worse. Countries that have allowed the emergence of an irregular and precarious labour market are finding it particularly hard to channel financial help to workers with such insecure employment. Meanwhile, vast monetary loosening by central banks will help the asset-rich. Behind it all, underfunded public services are creaking under the burden of applying crisis policies. The way we wage war on the virus benefits some at the expense of others. The victims of Covid-19 are overwhelmingly the old. But the biggest victims of the lockdowns are the young and active, who are asked to suspend their education and forgo precious income. Sacrifices are inevitable, but every society must demonstrate how it will offer restitution to those who bear the heaviest burden of national efforts. Radical reforms — reversing the prevailing policy direction of the last four decades — will need to be put on the table. Governments will have to accept a more active role in the economy. They must see public services as investments rather than liabilities, and look for ways to make labour markets less insecure. Redistribution will again be on the agenda; the privileges of the elderly and wealthy in question. Policies until recently considered eccentric, such as basic income and wealth taxes, will have to be in the mix. The taboo-breaking measures governments are taking to sustain businesses and incomes during the lockdown are rightly compared to the sort of wartime economy western countries have not experienced for seven decades. The analogy goes still further. The leaders who won the war did not wait for victory to plan for what would follow. Franklin D Roosevelt and Winston Churchill issued the Atlantic Charter, setting the course for the United Nations, in 1941. The UK published the Beveridge Report, its commitment to a universal welfare state, in 1942. In 1944, the Bretton Woods conference forged the postwar financial architecture. That same kind of foresight is needed today. Beyond the public health war, true leaders will mobilise now to win the peace.

The journalistic equivalent of being full of pills and agreeing to go on holiday with someone you have been chatting to for 10 minutes in the smoking area of The Arches.