Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 23/06/2022 at 00:32, Loonytoons said:

That is true but herd immunity through previous infection is not happening, just like it doesn't happen in many other viral infections.
The strong immune response to Covid is decreasing over time, a very short period of time unfortunately.
Blaming vaccinations for weakening the immune system and the resultant lack of herd immunity is tinfoil hat territory though.

You’re all over the place with this post.

vaccinations have indeed weakened the immune systems of the population. The number of infections, hospitalisations and deaths have shot through the roof since the vaccines were rolled out. 

re herd immunity, the claim was that the vaccines would lead to herd immunity and stop transmission. That is patently wrong. To think otherwise truly is tin foil hat territory 

You’d think the huge number of non covid excess deaths being reported every week by the ONS would set alarm bells ringing.

I think the issue is that so many people have believed in the vaccines and supported their roll out that they just don’t want to know about the catastrophe they’ve helped cause and all the people that have died as a result 

38 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

vaccinations have indeed weakened the immune systems of the population. The number of infections, hospitalisations and deaths have shot through the roof since the vaccines were rolled out. 

re herd immunity, the claim was that the vaccines would lead to herd immunity and stop transmission. That is patently wrong. To think otherwise truly is tin foil hat territory 

Frustrated World Cup GIF

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I get the sense people are a bit more tense with this current "wave". Hearing more folk talk about it, and a noticeable uptick in the numbers wearing masks in the supermarket today. 

Van Tam having none of it.

Prof Sir Jonathan Van-Tam, who until recently was England's deputy chief medical officer, told the BBC the country was in a different situation from the peaks in infections earlier in the year.

He said: "I don't wear a face covering, but if there were circumstances where I felt it was a really closed environment, with very high crowding and very intense social interaction, then those are the situations where I might think 'should I or shouldn't I'?

"And I think people have got to learn to frame those risks for themselves."

The professor. who is now pro-vice-chancellor at the University of Nottingham's faculty of medicine and health sciences, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme, that it was time to start reassessing how we think about Covid, thanks to the success of vaccines.

"In terms of its kind of lethality, the picture now is much, much, much closer to seasonal flu than it was when [coronavirus] first emerged.

"And you know, we just accept in the winter that, if you've got seasonal flu and you're poorly for a few days, it disrupts your life. And so I think we've got start to frame Covid in a little bit more of those terms."

You've clearly no understanding of how the immune system works.

Generally B cells are created after a infection and stay within the body for years. When the same pathogen reinfects again these memory B cells rapidly produce antibodies that fight off the infection before it establishes itself. That's that feeling you get that you're "coming down with something", only for it to disappear in the next few hours.
Vaccines perform the same function of creating these B cells but without the shitty feeling that comes with being ill.

However, in some cases these memory cells don't last whether it was infection or vaccination that established the B cells, that's why we have vaccine boosters. Some people need multiple boosters over their life, others only need only one or two. Tetanus being a classic example, a colleague of mine needs one every three or four years, I've been told I'm done needing anymore, my last booster was 20 years ago.

Re herd immunity, prior to the vaccine rollout there was evidence that people were already catching Covid for a second time. Indicative that there was a strong possibility that the memory B cells may rapidly tail off to the point of being ineffective.
The vaccine was only hoped to give long term herd immunity it wasn't claimed it definitely would.

From nothing more than experience with people from work and friends, we seem to be going through another wave. Seems like loads of folk are getting it and it seems to have worse symptoms than the previous wave around Christmas time but it's certainly nothing worse than the a bad dose of the flu and should be treated the same 

19 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

From nothing more than experience with people from work and friends, we seem to be going through another wave. Seems like loads of folk are getting it and it seems to have worse symptoms than the previous wave around Christmas time but it's certainly nothing worse than the a bad dose of the flu and should be treated the same 

In years gone by it would be proclaimed there "was a bug going round" and left at that. Some people would get, some would avoid it, and life would carry on as normal.

Referring to the virus as it is now as "Covid" is relative nonsense tbh, as it is miles away from OG Covid to the point it's a meaningless comparison.

The whole of Thailand as from today is in the green zone.  No restricting, everything including face marks has gone.

As from 1st July, no restrictions  on international tourists arriving apart from proof of 2 vaccinations if not you will then me tested on arrival.

Back to normal......everyone still wearing a mask  I've  seen today.

10 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

After avoiding it until now I was hit with the Covid hammer on Thursday. Had worked nightshift on Wednesday and felt fine, woke up on Thursday with a thumping sore head, thought nothing of it as it's not that unusual, especially on muggy days like Thursday was.

Ended up taking Thursday night off, and had a dreadful sleep, sweating bullets and aching all over. Been sore ever since.

Tested positive yesterday, which is a pain in the hole as we were supposed to be going away on Monday, a holiday already moved from last October as the daughter had Covid then.

Was expecting the aches and pains, not so much the faecal Jackson Pollocks.

12 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Yes- I’ve felt really lousy for the last 5 or 6 days with sore throat, coughs, tight chest but hey- ho, I tend to get that most years around now.
Life goes on.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

After avoiding it until now I was hit with the Covid hammer on Thursday. Had worked nightshift on Wednesday and felt fine, woke up on Thursday with a thumping sore head, thought nothing of it as it's not that unusual, especially on muggy days like Thursday was.

Ended up taking Thursday night off, and had a dreadful sleep, sweating bullets and aching all over. Been sore ever since.

Tested positive yesterday, which is a pain in the hole as we were supposed to be going away on Monday, a holiday already moved from last October as the daughter had Covid then.

Was expecting the aches and pains, not so much the faecal Jackson Pollocks.

Why did you get tested?

13 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Why shouldn’t he?

And what’s it go to do with you?

Aye, this. Taking a test because you are feeling like rubbish is fine.

It's completely different to people testing themselves silly when there's hee-haw wrong with them.

18 hours ago, The Master said:

I just saw on Reporting Scotland that kids with “long covid” were being shoved in front of a camera and paraded before a Holyrood committee. 

Disgusting behaviour. 

I think my favourite thing about long covid is that people who haven't tested positive for covid suffer from it more than people who have tested positive for covid. 😅

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You have to imagine that if there's another pandemic, the governments will avoid restrictions at all costs, having had their fingers burnt over this.

They got their fingers burnt because they lost all sense of perspective, focused on playing to the gallery, and appeared to have had absolutely no consideration for long-term consequences of their actions.

The mess we are in right now was entirely avoidable.

What is completely unsurprising, however, is that the same people who were calling the Tories all sorts for removing restrictions, instead begging for more, are now crying about the Tories not doing more to help them with inflation.

It was clear from very early on that lockdowns and printing money to keep the furlough scheme in place for 18 months would have consequences.