Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh FFS. Here we go again with the magic masks brigade.

I have never been entirely clear what masks are for. Is wearing a mask intended to help you, the wearer from  catching Covid ?  I thought regular vaccinations did that. Or is it to stop you passing on Covid ? If so you would need more or less permanent testing to ensure you remain free from infection. Or is it to protect the NHS or even just because the 'science' says so ?

27 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh FFS. Here we go again with the magic masks brigade.

I note she explicitly pointed out "medical grade masks" in that article, rather than the totally pointless bits of cloth the "experts" told us were helping.  Might be time to buy shares in an FFP3 production facility.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The idea was that they help protect others because will help stop people coughing and sneezing into each others faces which is why surgeons use them in hospitals but the problem with covid is it doesn't travel just in large droplets of breath and the WHO now accept that.

Covid travels mostly in nano-particles of moisture which are around 100 times smaller in diameter (or 500,000 times smaller in volume) than the pores in the mask.

More than 90% of what you breathe out and in will escape via the sides of the mask and covid will largely escape the mask in the same way.

What is deeply frustrating is the number of professional scientists (like Sridhar and Gurdasani) who have no opinions of their own and can't argue the case for masks using their own logic and will only ever point you to papers describing what other scientists think - papers they haven't fully read or understood themselves.

IMO, governments know all this but they can't be seen to do nothing. Therefore they ask the public to chip in and help.

Masks are there to give the public some feeling that they can do something about the virus.

The idea is to encourage a bit of of "we're all in this together" Blitz Spirit.

The entire thing is utter bollox.

Thought as much.

Good. It can now dawn on another absolute weapon just how much of an idiot they have been for the last year or so, and the damage they have caused over what is, by now, no worse than a moderate cold.

I see he has already hit out with the "thank god i was vaccinated" patter as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if masks and another booster/vaccination are on the cards from October through to Easter in Scotland regardless whether there is any COVID variant doing the rounds or not.
If the booster isn't tied in with this winter's flu jab I'll be very surprised.

11 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I wouldn't be surprised if masks and another booster/vaccination are on the cards from October through to Easter in Scotland regardless whether there is any COVID variant doing the rounds or not.

Given compliance with mask wearing largely evaporated up here before the mandate was finally lifted I'd be surprised if that happened tbh.

Given compliance with mask wearing largely evaporated up here before the mandate was finally lifted I'd be surprised if that happened tbh.
That's not what happened at all.

It was constantly pointed out here that the facemask wearing was purely down to not wanting to be seen to be breaking the rules as opposed to believing that they prevented transmission. The evidence used for that assumption was based on how quickly facemasks were dropped after the facemask restrictions were lifted.

33 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

That's not what happened at all.

It was constantly pointed out here that the facemask wearing was purely down to not wanting to be seen to be breaking the rules as opposed to believing that they prevented transmission. The evidence used for that assumption was based on how quickly facemasks were dropped after the facemask restrictions were lifted.

There was a very clear reduction in compliance with mask wearing up here when England, then Wales, ditched them and NS kept extending them.

Claiming otherwise is just lying tbh.

There was a very clear reduction in compliance with mask wearing up here when England, then Wales, ditched them and NS kept extending them.
Claiming otherwise is just lying tbh.

Are you seriously telling me that the Covid experts on here are making stuff up?