Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The SNP's clowncil election advert is absolutely toe-curling. The genuine audacity to try and point score over Covid against the big bad Toriezzz!!111

Risible.

22 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

When dealing with Elixir, it's worth remembering that he posted gleefully when he learnt the news that Covid deaths were on the rise in South Korea.  He was genuinely delighted that a country that was tackling the issue in a way he didn't agree with, was not seeing good results at that point.

Any chance of objectivity, of reason, even of human decency, has long since fled.

Yes, this is *exactly* what was happening. 🥴

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

The SNP's clowncil election advert is absolutely toe-curling. The genuine audacity to try and point score over Covid against the big bad Toriezzz!!111

Risible.

Yeah I’m not a Tory fan but when your whole party broadcast is ‘Tories are bad’ you aren’t really selling yourself.

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Yeah I’m not a Tory fan but when your whole party broadcast is ‘Tories are bad’ you aren’t really selling yourself.

Ironically its something we have probably all criticised the other parties for in Scotland too, with their election material focused heavily on "We'll stop the SNP/Indyref2". 

We all know the Tories are scum, but going down the road of "We're not as bad as the other guy" is surefire route towards voter apathy. 

30 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I've seen more than one post on my facebook feed absolutely loving it.

Ultimately, this rhetoric will be lapped up by many SNP supporters.

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We only need a single opposition leader with an ounce of charisma and the party will quite literally be over for the SNP.

Just like it was for Labour when Salmond came back and replaced Swinney.

The turnaround can be that fast, that devastating and that long-term.

And none of it is brain surgery. Simply have a bit of charisma and present a compelling vision of Scotland if you get into power. It seems so basic and obvious. And yet I can't recall the last time ANY party tried doing that either at Westminster or up here.

It beggars belief that so many of these people from all parties are walking into an effective job interview, being asked "So why should we hire you?" and thinking "because the other candidates are worse" is a good answer. Where on earth do they scrape these people up from?

I can see why they do it - there’s plenty amongst us who’ll mouth off on social media about parties that they don’t like and express amazement that anybody could vote for them, and political leaders then try and tap into it, because they think it’s a vote winner but in reality is a very lazy and entitled approach to take.

The issue is that a lot peoples political activism starts and ends with social media, but most of the electorate don’t rely on Twitter etc to make their minds up.

You then end up getting the election results and then people are amazed that reality doesn’t match what they see on their cherry picked Twitter feed.

Offshore platform I'm on has pretty much dropped all Covid procedures.  Face coverings (incl on choppers), social distancing stickers on the floors, and max numbers of people in a room have all gone.  LFT before coming out and another a few days in seems to be the only request.  A near-full return to normality.  Pleasing.

Edited by Hedgecutter

18 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Ironically its something we have probably all criticised the other parties for in Scotland too, with their election material focused heavily on "We'll stop the SNP/Indyref2". 

We all know the Tories are scum, but going down the road of "We're not as bad as the other guy" is surefire route towards voter apathy. 

Do we all know the Tories are scum? Genuinely? 2nd party in Scotland now They have never been more popular in Scotland in my lifetime.

Do we all know the Tories are scum? Genuinely? 2nd party in Scotland now They have never been more popular in Scotland in my lifetime.

I mean, it can never be enough... And il never be convinced there arent a HUGE number of people in Scotland voting based on what football team they align with (note align with, not just support). This leads me to believe a huge number of people have no real idea of how much damage they are doing to themselves.

Folk can and will tell me different, but I'm sticking to my guns on that one.

How big a minter it is, is a different and altogether more depressing topic.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I mean, it can never be enough... And il never be convinced there arent a HUGE number of people in Scotland voting based on what football team they align with (note align with, not just support). This leads me to believe a huge number of people have no real idea of how much damage they are doing to themselves.

Folk can and will tell me different, but I'm sticking to my guns on that one.

How big a minter it is, is a different and altogether more depressing topic.

I'm not clear what you're getting at here.

If football team alignment was a huge feature, would you not expect Tories to do better in our Rangers infested country?

Celtic, if anything, would be seen as historically tied to our declining Labour party.

Neither party is politically ascendant, but sadly, the football sides are.

I’m pretty sure Michael Yeadon was mentioned on here back in 2020. He is a former Pfizer scientist and researcher and seems to have gone from promoting bullshit about vaccines to believing the full David Icke gamut. 

13 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

They were more popular at the 1992 election, which was just five years before they were wiped off the electoral map in Scotland.

The fact that they are the second party has much more to do with the floundering of the Labour Party (and conversely, the current stranglehold of the SNP on 45% of the vote) than Tory popularity. 

11 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Or maybe it's just that people are capable of making their own minds up about who to vote for and don't experience life in the extreme black and white shades of the online world.

I have to say that the bit in bold really is unbelievably arrogant. And that's me saying that FFS. 😆

Even the I'm-all-right-Jack traditional WCT practise of voting aspirationally or in their own self-interest doesn't apply anymore. Big Jock down the golf club is viewed with just as much contempt as an unemployed Jakey in Onthank. The difference is that Thatcher's Children and their descendants are too fucking stupid to see this. Yes, that's a generalisation, but we have a generation of fucking idiots on our hands who will accept any level of financial and social depredation as long as we can stop brown people coming into the country.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not clear what you're getting at here.

If football team alignment was a huge feature, would you not expect Tories to do better in our Rangers infested country?

Celtic, if anything, would be seen as historically tied to our declining Labour party.

Neither party is politically ascendant, but sadly, the football sides are.

I think the tories do as well as they do, because of these allegiances. 

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Or maybe it's just that people are capable of making their own minds up about who to vote for and don't experience life in the extreme black and white shades of the online world.

I have to say that the bit in bold really is unbelievably arrogant. And that's me saying that FFS. 😆

Self harm at the ballot box in a post Brexit/Trump world isn't a difficult concept to accept m9. 

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

When you post stuff like this it makes it very hard to believe you are fundamentally any different from the people you call "Tory scum".

What do you actually gain from viewing people in this way?

Apart from "absolutely f**k al" of course?

I'll stop posting "stuff like this" when stupid people explain to me exactly how the Government since 2010 has, in any way whatsoever, introduced any policy - any policy at all - which has made their life, or their families', or those of any working person, better. Or, any policy which has increased the country's standing or reputation internationally. Or any policy which has ensured the security of the country as a whole. Y'know, kind of the basics you'd like to think any half-competent politician would be able to have a stab at.

In your own time - I'll wait.

I don't gain anything from viewing people this way - watching society devolve in front of my eyes makes me sad and despairing for my childrens' future.

oh, btw,  *"fúck all"

ETA: UK Government - I'm aware that some initiatives have originated from Holyrood.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie