Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Absolutely nobody cares anymore, Bill. The pandemic is unquestionably over, other than potentially localised epidemics in East Asia. The UK's epidemic was essentially over last summer ffs. All-cause mortality has been below the five-year average throughout 2022.

Of course, pandemic influenza such as in 1918-20, 1957-58 and 1968-69, could also happen. That won't grab the same headlines, though. Good ole 'Rona!

Age adjusted all cause mortality has been normal since the end of May 2000. 

All interventions have been for nothing and have made things worse 

Boys

I think it's yous who could do with moving on. There's undoubtedly a lot to come out in the wash regarding the handling of the corona virus pandemic and we will probably be into next year before the entre world as a whole is back to normal, but, never the less it is now pretty much over. spending time online searching for some outlier's opinions so that you can rubbish them on here is probably not the best use of anyone's time

it's time to pack it in

8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Read that post again pal and tell me it's not hyperbole. Honestly, this thread does something weird to you guys. All I meant was if you want to visit a country then its meagre remaining covid rules shouldn't make you plump for another option.

If you'd said that without the insults thrown at Greek culture I'd have happily ignored your post. I can assure you this thread has done nothing to me. People are free to choose where they go based on retrictions, some are happy to comply and others want somewhere restriction free, what's the problem?

BBC Radio Scotland is like comedy gold right now - 

Two women on moaning about the govt removing all restrictions, the second one (allegedly a doctor) is almost crying because she wants everyone to be wearing FFP3 masks everywhere and the govt to impose even stricter restrictions than we already had.

Hilarious stuff.

Covid has been absolute manna from heaven for the curtain twitchers and serial moaners in society.

58 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If you'd said that without the insults thrown at Greek culture I'd have happily ignored your post. I can assure you this thread has done nothing to me. People are free to choose where they go based on retrictions, some are happy to comply and others want somewhere restriction free, what's the problem?

Usually wouldn't bother with this "I said, you said" stuff but to call me a xenophobe for what I wrote is unwarranted, that's all. 

I thought masks and restrictions should have been binned ages ago but I've also generally "put up with it" and avoided throwing too many tantrums about them sticking around.

f**k going on holiday anywhere with restrictions or mask requirements though when you can choose from most of the rest of the world with no restrictions at all.

9 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Boys

I think it's yous who could do with moving on. There's undoubtedly a lot to come out in the wash regarding the handling of the corona virus pandemic and we will probably be into next year before the entre world as a whole is back to normal, but, never the less it is now pretty much over. spending time online searching for some outlier's opinions so that you can rubbish them on here is probably not the best use of anyone's time

it's time to pack it in

Disagree, I'm afraid. The response we saw should never be forgotten or underplayed, and can never be allowed to happen again.

My Chinese suppliers seem to have vanished of the surface of the planet. They are obviously not even set up to do any sort of communications from home.
Couple of these are substantial manufacturing facilities.
Not even responses to emails.
Just bizarre.

10 minutes ago, superbigal said:

My Chinese suppliers seem to have vanished of the surface of the planet. They are obviously not even set up to do any sort of communications from home.
Couple of these are substantial manufacturing facilities.
Not even responses to emails.
Just bizarre.

I think they've been too busy spamming this site to bother with other stuff.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Disagree, I'm afraid. The response we saw should never be forgotten or underplayed, and can never be allowed to happen again.

Exactly.

Jillian Evans from NHS Grampian clearly fizzing today and farting out made up, arbitrary timescales of “at least 5 days” that people should stay at home for.

Not surprised in the least that NHS pen pushers with an inflated sense of their own self importance are now undermining the new guidance to suit themselves.

7 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Usually wouldn't bother with this "I said, you said" stuff but to call me a xenophobe for what I wrote is unwarranted, that's all. 

Nothing you said was Xenophobic, it was just an opportunity for someone to be a facebook type white knight. its just another fine example of people getting offended over nothing and blowing something minor out of proportion.

"how dare you call a food made in another country greasy" 🤣

Edited by red23

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I noticed you had to edit this post of yours.

Was that to remove the misogynistic references you undoubtedly put in?

Living in your head rent free for 6 months over a comment you misinterpreted.

On 01/05/2022 at 18:21, Loonytoons said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Everything is lockdowns fault to you and it can't possibly be anything else.
Try having a balanced point of view.

If you actually cared to look back I actually stated lockdown is a fair chance for the hepatitis outbreak.

Pointing out other possibilities has seen a mass of red dots, a case of me parroting "the other side" and now a lockdown fetishist.

Yet none of you have actually come out and said there is a possibility that it can be something else.

Your as blinkered as the facemask-wearing virtue signallers you so despise.

When dealing with Elixir, it's worth remembering that he posted gleefully when he learnt the news that Covid deaths were on the rise in South Korea.  He was genuinely delighted that a country that was tackling the issue in a way he didn't agree with, was not seeing good results at that point.

Any chance of objectivity, of reason, even of human decency, has long since fled.

When dealing with Elixir, it's worth remembering that he posted gleefully when he learnt the news that Covid deaths were on the rise in South Korea.  He was genuinely delighted that a country that was tackling the issue in a way he didn't agree with, was not seeing good results at that point.
Any chance of objectivity, of reason, even of human decency, has long since fled.
He has a point though.
I really am actually desperately hoping it's not lockdown causing the hepatitis outbreak. Not for the reasons he thinks though.
If it is, the current numbers are just the tip of the iceberg and that is going to be just dreadful for so many families.
We can only hope it is one of the other possibilities, numbers should be lower in any of those scenarios.

6 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

He has a point though.
I really am actually desperately hoping it's not lockdown causing the hepatitis outbreak. Not for the reasons he thinks though.
If it is, the current numbers are just the tip of the iceberg and that is going to be just dreadful for so many families.
We can only hope it is one of the other possibilities, numbers should be lower in any of those scenarios.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm quite sure all manner of ills have arisen from the periods of lockdown.  They absolutely merit examination.

I was responding more to the charge you made towards Elixir on the basis that his agenda ensures a blinkered reading.  I was merely pointing out that there is already compelling evidence to suggest the charge is a fair one.

On 02/05/2022 at 00:18, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Boys

it's time to pack it in

I agree with you to a point. Spending time online looking for psycho tweets to vindicate your own views was as pointless in March 2020 as it is now. It helps no one and only serves to continue the partisan nature of the debate, which is frankly mental in a pandemic. 

This thread still has a place though, covid is a significant event in modern history and the impacts will be with us for a long time, good and bad. It’s interesting to see how such an event can change society so much for the long term. 

Up for the weekend in Edinburgh having lived in England for years. Difference is pretty stark - I probably just went to shit places though. 

Whighams wine bar, we go in and start walking round looking for a table or bar. Bar woman sprints to meet us, "can I help you??".....yeah we're here for a drink. Immediately declares its all table service. Perspex screens still floating about in random places there too. Saturday night and it was half empty, absurd.

Boozy cow very similar. Half empty.

Went to Royal Mile - Ensign stewart etc etc - all back to normal and rammed. 

Not really sure what point I'm making, but the difference in places who were desperate to cling on to some measures was pretty stark. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/may/03/obesity-epidemic-proportions-across-europe-world-health-organization-who

The real pandemic of fat, puffing messes predictably punting the 'rona into the seaside leagues of global health issues. 

For the purpose of this analogy, Devi Sridhar and Deepti Gurdasani assume the roles of Peter Grant and John Hughes.