Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

What have they been revealing?

He has been bullying his female colleagues and received warnings from the Guardian about it. There have been complaints in about him from female staff members. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

He has been bullying his female colleagues and received warnings from the Guardian about it. There have been complaints in about him from female staff members. 

The guardian said no one had been found guilty of bullying.

I think Jones is a bit of a fanny but this seem like PE going after someone but not nailing the story and letting innuendo do the heavy lifting.

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't like Jones, but there's a whiff of this being more about him being pro-trans and anti-bigot rather than anything else.

I'm not sure what throwing accusations out for a Twitter mob to deal with has got to do with meaningful 'pro-trans' or 'anti-bigot' activism. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

I'm not sure what throwing accusations out for a Twitter mob to deal with has got to do with meaningful 'pro-trans' or 'anti-bigot' activism. 

He's a gobshite and that's what gobshites do. I think his Twitter output is atrocious and he has an incredible knack for stepping on rakes Sideshow Bob style, but it seems like the people accusing him of bullying are partly doing so because they don't like being called out for their bad opinions.

17 hours ago, oaksoft said:

As for why masks were such a massive problem for me that I'd have been prepared to have been repeatedly fined for not wearing one? Who knows. The second she introduced the mandate I went from 0 to 100mph instantly and didn't properly come down until this week when the mandate went. All I know is that I was quite prepared to react very aggressively to anyone had a confrontation arisen in public. Thankfully it didn't come to that but it was fucking stressful while it lasted because I hate violence and confrontations - just like to be left alone.

I think I know the answer to this one.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He's a gobshite and that's what gobshites do. I think his Twitter output is atrocious and he has an incredible knack for stepping on rakes Sideshow Bob style, but it seems like the people accusing him of bullying are partly doing so because they don't like being called out for their bad opinions.

What is a ‘bad opinion’?

Getting close to the thought police.

All opinions are equally valid.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't like Jones, but there's a whiff of this being more about him being pro-trans and anti-bigot rather than anything else.

The Guardian gave Maya Forstater column inches and whacked her all over their Twitter yesterday. I hope their US staff all resign this time out; f**k em. 

What is a ‘bad opinion’?
Getting close to the thought police.
All opinions are equally valid.

That would be true if I was asking for these people to be banned or arrested for sharing these views. But I'm not. They shared them in the marketplace of ideas, and other people have the right to disagree.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds like another episode in the trans culture wars.

Ah ok. This refers (I'm 99% sure) to the 'gender critical' lobby trying to claim Terry Pratchett as one of their own (post his death) after Margaret Atwood told them to piss off. Occasional Graun contributor Sarah Ditum wrote a column in The Times trying to say you can't assert the opinions of the dead, and I'm *pretty* sure that was after his daughter Rhianna had taken to Twitter fairly horrified to assure folks her dad wasn't a transphobe and pointed to one of his characters as literary evidence. Jones called Ditum out on Twitter and was supported - fairly justifiably - by a load of folks wondering whether a load of terfs, a newspaper columnist or the man's daughter would be more familiar with Pratchett's personal opinions. Given the Guardian are quite happy to give column inches to Maya Forstater and have Hadley Freeman (and up until recently Suzanne Moore) on their payroll then if I were Jones I'd be taking being disciplined from them for not being a transphobic arsehole as a badge of honor. 

ETA - Ditum's column went live 3 days after Rhianna Pratchett had taken to Twitter. 

Edited by carpetmonster

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

That would be true if I was asking for these people to be banned or arrested for sharing these views. But I'm not. They shared them in the marketplace of ideas, and other people have the right to disagree.

Twitter really isn't 'a marketplace of ideas' though; it's a forum for self-righteous pile-ons (in this context at least). Jones is one of the main columnists on the paper; if he has an issue, he can express it in-house or in his regular why oh why sermonising.

Jones knew exactly what he was doing by flagging it to a Twitter mob and it had nothing to do with his genuine concern about the views expressed in the article. 

12 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

who just cannot get out of the habit of trawling the internet 24 hours a day and posting the most obscure tweets to highlight that they have been the world authority on the pandemic all along (sometimes adding a "hilarious" picture of Colin Montgomery or Neil Warnock which has all the other main players pissing themselves , although to be fair most of his main player mates have given up on this thread now)

Haha, what a story!