Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Flew EasyJet from Edinburgh to Basel this afternoon. Announcement before beginning boarding was that masks are mandatory, don’t approach the desk without wearing one. So on it went.

Once on the flight. Announcement that the cabin crew won’t be wearing masks and as such they will not be enforcing the wearing of them. Mine was straight off again plus the guy next to me did the same. Scanning about i’d estimate 80% “wore” them (hanging round chins, noses out etc)

When I started making these journeys 2 years ago I’d be in a mask for near 11 hours between trains & flying indirect due to route cancellations. What a relief to not HAVE to wear one. Hopefully this is it for good now.

I'm celebrating the official end of Covid as a thing today by, err, confirming that I'm riddled with it for the first time. First had some pretty unpleasant symptoms 5 days ago which only lasted 2 days, and had been testing negative until now. Barely a tickly throat now but here we are.

Time to dust off that horse medicine and bleach I stockpiled in 2020.

11 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I'm celebrating the official end of Covid as a thing today by, err, confirming that I'm riddled with it for the first time. First had some pretty unpleasant symptoms 5 days ago which only lasted 2 days, and had been testing negative until now. Barely a tickly throat now but here we are.

Time to dust off that horse medicine and bleach I stockpiled in 2020.

Get wired into the pasta, and spent an evening using the toilet roll

2 hours ago, Gnash said:

Also saw someone riding a bike, on their own, on a quiet street, masked up, but without a helmet.

Can't tell if quiet roads were his entire route, if so it's obviously silly, but my mate used to cycle to work in London wearing a mask years before Covid, and it would be charcoal black when he arrived. Better out than in as they say.

32 minutes ago, Matador said:

Flew EasyJet from Edinburgh to Basel this afternoon. Announcement before beginning boarding was that masks are mandatory, don’t approach the desk without wearing one. So on it went.

Once on the flight. Announcement that the cabin crew won’t be wearing masks and as such they will not be enforcing the wearing of them. Mine was straight off again plus the guy next to me did the same. Scanning about i’d estimate 80% “wore” them (hanging round chins, noses out etc)

When I started making these journeys 2 years ago I’d be in a mask for near 11 hours between trains & flying indirect due to route cancellations. What a relief to not HAVE to wear one. Hopefully this is it for good now.

What was it like when you got to Basel?

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Can't tell if quiet roads were his entire route, if so it's obviously silly, but my mate used to cycle to work in London wearing a mask years before Covid, and it would be charcoal black when he arrived. Better out than in as they say.

It also prevents insects getting in your mouth

What was it like when you got to Basel?

Maskless. As it has been since April 1st. It’s was like flicking a switch here. Pretty much 100% compliance up till then. 99% now don’t wear masks now. These Germanic Europeans absolutely love following orders…

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

IMO people who handle food should be forced to still wear a mask along with gloves and a hairnet. That’s nothing to do with Covid and all about them being clatty.

Food handlers wearing gloves is less hygienic than them not wearing them and just washing them regularly btw.

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:
Having been pining for the dropping of the mask rule for what feels like forever now, I'm now ragin' that I'm trapped in the Covid jail on the sunny day that they drop it.

The mask rules are still in place in schools.

Not from today they're not. It can be guidance but can't be enforced.

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Ignoring the fact the guidance he's quoting, whilst the case now, was not the rules in place at the time of this incident, why is JL getting involved in defending NS at all? It's surely not his job.

Regardless of what anyone else has or has not done, she did break the law, and would be best placed just acknowledging that, apologising, paying the fine, and move on.

When you've spent so long keeping the law in place (calling BJ reckless for lifting the mask mandate in the process), calling out others who broke the law, claiming they were absolutely vital in stopping the spread, and asking others to continue to wear them now the mandate has been lifted, then you cannot expect to make a mistake like this and have no-one call you out on it. As the FM the expectation on her is higher than on almost anyone else, and NS should be aware of that.

This attempt at pretending nothing happened really isn't a good look for either NS or JL.

The hilarious thing is she never would have been caught out like this if she had relinquished the charade months ago like England and Scandinavia. Unlucky.

Also, wouldn't be surprised in not noticing a universal drop-off in mask compliance today, though having been out for food none of the waiters were bothering. Give it a few weeks, though, and it will slowly get chipped away. Come summer it will be 10-20%.

36 minutes ago, bennett said:

Will shops be getting rid of those clear plastic screens now?

31 minutes ago, stanton said:

My local premier store removed their screens weeks ago 

Yeah the legal requirement to keep them had already gone, so anywhere still using them was doing so through choice.

I’d actually find it more worrying if it went to very small levels of mask wearing straight away - would be a sign that too many are dependent on government messaging and need their hand held.

Probably preferable if the remainder come round in their own time, without it being based on Sturgeon clicking her fingers, and when people work out for themselves that the threat is minimal.