Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Yes, if I have been in close contact to someone who tests positive and I am due to visit my 92 year old mum I may well purchase test kits in advance of that.  Thanks for asking.
In all seriousness, you should probably buy tests regardless, because once tests are free, others aren't going to test. You arent going to know if you have been near someone who has it, or get pinged.

Sounds like a few people I know.  They're also the same people who seem to take pleasure in cases and hospitisations going up.  To put it another way, they take pleasure in others getting a virus.  
That goes for both sides of the mask waring argument unfortunately.

Just to offer up further anecdotal experience of Scotlands largest city yesterday, it was even more noticable than it was at the weekend how low mask wearing is bit more so among staff. I was in 3 pubs and a restaurant lastnight, id say less than half the staff had masks on.

And I was on 3 trains, only 1 conductor had a mask on.

I assume Scotgov must sort of vaguely monitor this.... Monday is their last chance to look like they made the call to ditch them IMO. Even the folk we all assume are going to get hung out eg hospitality and transport workers have had enough.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Caledonian1, you've managed to take a very reasonable general point and make it all about you personally. 🤣

Not only, that, you've managed to find a way of being offended by it too.

Congratulations. 🤣

Yes, because i have very good experience of, emm, myself.....you seem to discuss your circumstances / experiences often enough...we all do.

I wasn't offended in any way

12 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:
3 hours ago, TheScarf said:
Sounds like a few people I know.  They're also the same people who seem to take pleasure in cases and hospitisations going up.  To put it another way, they take pleasure in others getting a virus.  

That goes for both sides of the mask waring argument unfortunately.

So people who want things back to normal with no restrictions also want cases and hospitalisions to go up?

41 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Oh he'll brazen it out alright. And I think the majority of the public are simply fed up hearing about it.

I suspect the moment has passed. He's used the classic technique of successfully delaying long enough until voter apathy has set in.

Restrictions are all away, summer is approaching and people have now moved onto fuel prices, Ukraine and Bank Holiday airport queues.

I think this is bigger than that.

BJ has clearly lied to Parliament.  This will not go away for him, and he will be rightly hounded at every turn in the House. 

16 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I think this is bigger than that.

BJ has clearly lied to Parliament.  This will not go away for him, and he will be rightly hounded at every turn in the House. 

He has to resign after this. Wonder if another general election will happen later this year?

Johnson will be gone only when the party has had enough of him. This is a man who has never taken responsibility for anything in his life, so don't think he'll do so now. 

I don't think they'll punt him as the frontrunner to replace him has spectacularly crashed and burned in the last week. Add in some pish about focusing on the cost of living crisis and Ukraine, meaning now is not the time and they will do zilch I expect. Too fearful of an election which they will lose. 

Of course, the Conservative Party replaced its leader in 1940, when the UK was front and centre of an actual world war. To claim that it can't do so now as it might inhibit the supply of some missiles to Ukraine or that shitty £150 energy bill loan on October, is frankly laughable. 

Boris could come out and say he was joining in with Saville all that time and the Tories would still win the next election. Labour are quite frankly an absolute shambles of a party and have absolutely nothing to offer. The appear to be more than happy staying in opposition instead of being in power, otherwise they'd have capitalised at any point in the past decade. 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Oh he'll brazen it out alright. And I think the majority of the public are simply fed up hearing about it.

I suspect the moment has passed. He's used the classic technique of successfully delaying long enough until voter apathy has set in.

Restrictions are all away, summer is approaching and people have now moved onto fuel prices, Ukraine and Bank Holiday airport queues.

..and who do you think the public* blame at least in part, and absolutely fairly imho, for the fuel rises and the travel delays?

*At least those who are capable of rational thought.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

I think what Loony's getting at it is that it appears as though some anti-maskers have taken pleasure in cases going up because it backs the position that masks don't help.
If so, that entirely misses the point.
I don't think many people on either side genuinely cheer when cases go up. People just want to be seen to be correct I suppose and will grab onto any news which backs their view. It's to be expected.

I'm not sure how that entirely misses the point at all.
The Scarf had a pop at a minority of pro maskers, I pointed out the same mentality exists in a minority of anti maskers, just to balance the argument.
There are people from both polarised opinions that are happy to see numbers go up just so they can be proven correct in their assumptions. You actually agree with me in your quote that there are some.
The numbers don't matter, just that these weird people exist on both sides.

First day back in the office since May   two years ago. Only one day a week but utterly pointless really and the general feeling is they're bringing us back in just because they can as it adds absolute no value to the employees or the business 

16 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

..and who do you think the public* blame at least in part, and absolutely fairly imho, for the fuel rises and the travel delays?

*At least those who are capable of rational thought.

Labour will get the blame. 

8 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I'm not sure how that entirely misses the point at all.
The Scarf had a pop at a minority of pro maskers, I pointed out the same mentality exists in a minority of anti maskers, just to balance the argument.
There are people from both polarised opinions that are happy to see numbers go up just so they can be proven correct in their assumptions. You actually agree with me in your quote that there are some.
The numbers don't matter, just that these weird people exist on both sides.

The issue for me is that no matter what the numbers do, the mask fans will see that as vindication for continuing with the mandate - either “numbers are down because masks work” or “why would we remove the mask mandate when the numbers are so high?”

I challenged a mate on this the other day and once they were clamped I just got “hardly a big deal” and something about right wing media.

Seems that I've picked up the 'rona.  Tested positive yesterday following a niggly throat (after being a close contact), and woken up today with the fever sweats, headache, coughing & infrequent uncontrollable sneezing.  Shoyte. 

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time I've had a virus worse than a runny nose since the early 90s (never needed a virus-related day off since primary school).  

Cue some comment about P&B posters being safe in the knowledge that I'm locked up at home for 10 days (or whatever the hell it'll be be next week), etc etc.

Eta: on the 'funny' side, today is the day of my works' evening meal and day-out, something which I'd been organising for ages by making sure the other differently-located bosses were in the same place at the same time (for the first time since lockdown).  One has come over from Norway. 😔

Edited by Hedgecutter