Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Probably a silly question but to settle a debate, does the darkness of the line on a LFT actually mean anything?

Currently on a day 6 since symptoms started and feeling absolutely fine but did a test this morning and the positive line is still as clear as day. My other half is convinced the line gets lighter as you have "less" Covid but I'm not so sure.

I don't think so, could depend on how much of your fulids are on the stick. Mine was also lighter when I didn't wait the full half an hour after drinking something. So could reflect a poorer sample?

Some absolute gimps on Jambos Kickback with Covid worrying they won't be 'allowed', or able, to go to the Scottish Cup semi-final with Hibs at Hampden on Saturday, unless they test negative. jose.png

That's why you don't obsess over what sort of cold you have, and you just go anyway. These people get what they deserve. Absolute nap they're the type to complain if you're standing rather than sitting down an aw.

Yeah - there is absolutely no way this government is allowing drinking somewhere if they can get away with prohibiting it. 

The thing is folk are doing it anyway and nobody gives a f**k. I doubt those trains that went to Ayr last week for the Scottish National were full of punters drinking Fanta. Nonsense to keep that rule.

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Probably a silly question but to settle a debate, does the darkness of the line on a LFT actually mean anything?

Currently on a day 6 since symptoms started and feeling absolutely fine but did a test this morning and the positive line is still as clear as day. My other half is convinced the line gets lighter as you have "less" Covid but I'm not so sure.

From New Scientist:

Lateral flow tests aren’t approved to be used in this way, but people usually see the line on their test changing in intensity from faint to dark, and back to faint again, over the course of their infection.

Some studies do show that the intensity of the line correlates with the amount of virus particles present in the person’s nasal fluids. “These tests actually are very quantifiable based on the darkness of the line,” says Michael Mina of eMed, a US testing firm.

But even if the line is faint, there must still be replicating virus present in someone’s body in order to be making enough protein that it gives a positive result.

Edited by RiG

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

This doesn't answer your question, sorry... but as an experiment when I'd had covid and was still getting a faint line later on, put the liquid into the test without doing anything with the swab... and it came up faintly positive! So don't take any notice of faint lines now. 

32 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This woman wants theatres to run at reduced capacity and enforce mask-only audiences to "make people feel a bit safer" even though she accepts the theatre would make a loss in doing so.

Liz Carr calls for theatres to host facemask-only performances - BBC News

Nicola Sturgeon likes this.

8 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Does anyone actually know when masks are supposed to be getting binned?

Next Monday (April 18) I'm sure is when they officially go. Although my 'living room looks onto a major bus route' study would suggest that current compliance is at an all-time low.

Next Monday (April 18) I'm sure is when they officially go. Although my 'living room looks onto a major bus route' study would suggest that current compliance is at an all-time low.
Train to Glasgow on Saturday showed about 50/50. Likewise Queen St station

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
20 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Train to Glasgow on Saturday showed about 50/50. Likewise Queen St station

Interestingly the only place I've noticed quite high mask wearing remaining is when I'm back in Milngavie. I was in Aldi the other week and was just about the only one without a mask. Whereas when I'm doing my shopping in Clydebank or Drumchapel it's probably about 70/30 in favour of folk without masks. And that goes for the staff as well as customers.

If anyone wants to do a socio-economic analysis of mask wearing then I'd be very interested in reading it :lol: