Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We haven't had the extent of lockdowns that China has (trapped indoors with no food, etc). 

The fact is, though, that we have opened up thanks to the vaccines and the mildness of new variants. China still locking down two years in because Sinovac is as much use as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest, and they are still pursuing zero covid when everyone else accepts it's not possible to eliminate it completely.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We haven't had the extent of lockdowns that China has (trapped indoors with no food, etc). 

The fact is, though, that we have opened up thanks to the vaccines and the mildness of new variants. China still locking down two years in because Sinovac is as much use as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest, and they are still pursuing zero covid when everyone else accepts it's not possible to eliminate it completely.

They also didn't prioritise vaccinating the elderly and those in homes as we did, in Hong Kong anyway.

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Such a shame but it was inevitable really. The knock-on consequences of our covid obsessive leaders will last at least 10 years IMO.

Scotland's college drop-out rate rises during pandemic - BBC News

Absolutely!

They went completely over the top and are still doing everything they can to avoid in person teaching.

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Just watched Debbie Edward's latest report from China, absolutely wild what's going on out there. 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Such a shame but it was inevitable really. The knock-on consequences of our covid obsessive leaders will last at least 10 years IMO.

Scotland's college drop-out rate rises during pandemic - BBC News

The workshy unions and teachers need to own this every bit as much as the Scottish Government.

20 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I'm not so sure how widespread being trapped indoors with no food is as they have different levels of lockdown and only the severest doesn't let folk go out to the supermarket - food is then delivered to them by the local government. I teach a couple of guys living in China and that's the script in their area at least.  

Sinovac is used here in the Philippines with relative success if case numbers can be trusted - a big IF to be fair.  I don't think the lockdowns are anything related to the efficacy of Sinovac, rather the zero Covid policy they were pursuing.  They are in the process of testing 25 million folk in the Shanghai area.  

The Chinese don't f**k around. 

Couldn't be more obvious why NS was desperate not to lift the mask mandate on March 21st - cases by specimen date have fallen every day since March 12th, and would have shown them up for the useless measure they are.

Med countries continue to have a minter for fully returning to normal I see. They'll eventually get there for summer but no idea why they're dragging the arse out of it and putting people off.

33 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Med countries continue to have a minter for fully returning to normal I see. They'll eventually get there for summer but no idea why they're dragging the arse out of it and putting people off.

Which ones? I believe Italy and Turkey still have outdoor mask mandates, so they definitely fall into that group. Anyone else? 

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Which ones? I believe Italy and Turkey still have outdoor mask mandates, so they definitely fall into that group. Anyone else? 

Spain had an absolute minter over the past couple of days:

Not that it matters to me as I'm vaxxed/boosted anyway, but will still be giving places that aren't fully back to normal a wide berth and instead give my money to those that are.

Edit: I believe Italy and Spain have already stopped the outdoor mask mandate, with them going indoors at the end of the month. An absolute laughathon that Scotland will be among the last places in Europe to bin them, alongside the most irrational countries when it comes to masking - and a full three months behind England and our Nordic counterparts. Disgraceful.

Edited by Elixir

China are completely fucked. They (like Deepti Gurdasani types) have completely overestimated how serious covid actually is post-vaccine, and they’ve undermined the vaccination programme by effectively saying that they’re going to eradicate it so why bother getting the jab. Now, the rest of the world is getting on with it and you’ve got a faster spreading variant about to exponentially rip through a huge population with poor vaccine take up (including in vulnerable groups) and next to no natural immunity. 

Spain had an absolute minter over the past couple of days:
Not that it matters to me as I'm vaxxed/boosted anyway, but will still be giving places that aren't fully back to normal a wide berth and instead give my money to those that are.
Edit: I believe Italy and Spain have already stopped the outdoor mask mandate, with them going indoors at the end of the month. An absolute laughathon that Scotland will be among the last places in Europe to bin them, alongside the most irrational countries when it comes to masking - and a full three months behind England and our Nordic counterparts. Disgraceful.
Glad to know there is no chance of encountering you here in Tenerife then.
Carry on your mouth frothing.

At a gig at the hydro last night, a few people wearing masks. f**k that, go to a gig, enjoy it, sing along, but wear a piece of cloth on your face at the same time?? Nah, f**k that.