Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 20/03/2022 at 15:44, oaksoft said:

ETA. Not only have I still not had it, none of my family has had it either. I'm the only true hermit so that might excuse me but the others live in major cities in the UK and mingle constantly. Not one of them has had so much as a sniffle. Sounds like we are about the last people left to get it.

Mind though it's an absolute shanner so there's every chance you've had it and been none the wiser.

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

This is very interesting. Small sample, but I don't remember a poll with such opposition to masks previously.

More proof that NS no longer has her finger anywhere near the pulse in terms of public support for her care more act.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

This is very interesting. Small sample, but I don't remember a poll with such opposition to masks previously.

More proof that NS no longer has her finger anywhere near the pulse in terms of public support for her care more act.

Small sample and the P&J is quite a Tory paper which will skew it as well but I was surprised by the numbers. It's hard to gauge public opinion from the posts on here or twitter. You'd think the SNP would have more of an idea which way the mood is turning. Or maybe I give them too much credit. 

Reporting Scotland leading tonight with 'record numbers in hospital' with one fleeting mention that 'not all those in hospital are being treated for the virus'. After a bit of chat asking people if they support removing restrictions with hospital numbers high, we get a preview of Devi on The Nine tonight saying testing being stopped will lead to deaths.

Record hospital numbers is absolutely a story. And I can understand why it's the lead. However they should be keen to highlight why numbers are higher and, at the very least, give people an idea of how many are in because of Covid - even if that's by referencing the figures in England seen as we aren't capable of counting that here.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Reporting Scotland leading tonight with 'record numbers in hospital' with one fleeting mention that 'not all those in hospital are being treated for the virus'. After a bit of chat asking people if they support removing restrictions with hospital numbers high, we get a preview of Devi on The Nine tonight saying testing being stopped will lead to deaths.

Record hospital numbers is absolutely a story. And I can understand why it's the lead. However they should be keen to highlight why numbers are higher and, at the very least, give people an idea of how many are in because of Covid - even if that's by referencing the figures in England seen as we aren't capable of counting that here.

Saw that clip with Devi. Its a disgraceful piece of journalism from Martin Geissler. When Devi states her nonsense instead of questioning her on it or asking for evidence he puts on a big serious face and repeats "people will die". Sensationalist scaremongering pish and I expect better from the BBC

Geissler is a w**k

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

ITV News meanwhile, alongside an interview with Javid, making it abundantly clear that 60% of those hospital figures are incidental. Scotland is a total backwater when it comes to shaking off the Covid shackles.

17 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Saw that clip with Devi. Its a disgraceful piece of journalism from Martin Geissler. When Devi states her nonsense instead of questioning her on it or asking for evidence he puts on a big serious face and repeats "people will die". Sensationalist scaremongering pish and I expect better from the BBC

Geissler is a w**k

If any of The Good Guys on here were able to interview Devi on national tele we would probably finish her career. Absolute fraud.

She was on radio five yesterday morning saying people are dying from strokes and heart attacks a year after having covid, wtf! Also claiming 1.5 million are suffering from long covid, numbers not even challenged by interviewer, the woman is a mentalist

I'm sure she was quick to point out that although there are poor souls who've had further more serious medical issues a year or so after contracting covid this was clearly pre-omicron and irrelevant in terms of how we should be managing things now. Unless of course we're pushing the we just don't know rhetoric for the rest of time. 

3 hours ago, ac2907 said:

She was on radio five yesterday morning saying people are dying from strokes and heart attacks a year after having covid, wtf! Also claiming 1.5 million are suffering from long covid, numbers not even challenged by interviewer, the woman is a mentalist

Some of the ~550,000 people who die in the UK every year also had ole Rona? What a revelation! Anyone who believes LoNg CoViD is akin to chronic disability and that the number of sufferers is in the millions frankly needs consigned to an asylum. Maybe Devi and Deepti can sponsor it?

59 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Someone could do the bare minimum of journalism and simply list 4 or 5 of the major predictions she made which she was completely wrong about and ask her why her current prediction should be believed.

Was she asked about how Hong Kong and South Korea are getting on? Apparently we have a lot to learn from there. Something about Probably Being The Best Covid Response In The World.

Several Councils considering reintroducing home schooling due to the level of cases / absence

BBC News - Remote learning considered due to Covid absences - councils
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-60822079

Pretty poor headline there. The article makes it clear that it’s individual schools who may need to close for a few days because they don’t have enough staff - indeed, I know of two schools where it’s already happened in Edinburgh.

There, surprisingly, isn’t some bank of unlimited simply teachers just waiting for this. If you get 1-in-14 infected, and you expect isolation, this will keep happening.

Pretty poor headline there. The article makes it clear that it’s individual schools who may need to close for a few days because they don’t have enough staff - indeed, I know of two schools where it’s already happened in Edinburgh.

There, surprisingly, isn’t some bank of unlimited simply teachers just waiting for this. If you get 1-in-14 infected, and you expect isolation, this will keep happening.
The upcoming Easter holidays being 10 days or so away is bound to help too, ideal timing wise.

13 hours ago, Elixir said:

If any of The Good Guys on here were able to interview Devi on national tele we would probably finish her career. Absolute fraud.

I’d love to see that.  You’d probably end up telling her that you can grow concrete (or similar).

10 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I’d love to see that.  You’d probably end up telling her that you can grow concrete (or similar).

I know Mike Graham was ridiculed for the remark about growing concrete... But you kind of can. There is a bacteria that produces calcium carbonate as a side product. Some friends of mine at Strathclyde work on this for use in buildings. 

I know Mike Graham was ridiculed for the remark about growing concrete... But you kind of can. There is a bacteria that produces calcium carbonate as a side product. Some friends of mine at Strathclyde work on this for use in buildings. 
Mike Graham didn't know about a bacteria that produces calcium carbonate as a side product m9. Unless they are the same ones that produce the wee gout crystals in his gammon joints.

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You can't just ask that directly. She'll ask you to compare death levels and you'll have handed her a victory on a plate.

The current death rate in Hong Kong is multiple times the worst rate Britain or indeed any other country ever saw. And this is with vaccines. There is absolutely no excuse for it as this stage. 

Crap coverage in the oldies = bad results.

In a weird juxtaposition, they've also partially relaxed their travel rules. Wouldn't quite say they've chucked the towel in, but maybe the hand towel has been readied to be thrown. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/21/hong-kong-eases-covid-travel-rules

Edited by Michael W

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The current death rate in Hong Kong is multiple times the worst rate Britain or indeed any other country ever saw. And this is with vaccines. There is absolutely no excuse for it as this stage. 

Crap coverage in the oldies = bad results.

It isn't just vaccine uptake.  The vaccines they're using are a bit shite.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-23/three-sinovac-doses-fail-to-protect-against-omicron-study-shows