Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It’s still quite eye-opening to see how some folk and businesses are treating this in Scotland. Following on from my work trip to London yesterday, where an SNP MP was sitting next to me maskless the entire flight as well as during her walk through Glasgow airport terminal, I had the reverse today when visiting a company near Aberdeen. There office is closed to visitors until you scan a QR code on a poster, fill in a questionnaire and then another health questionnaire.

When I entered the office, the receptionist (behind a glass screen) asked me to put on a mask and fill in another questionnaire and wear an ID tag. Which I had to pick up myself as a safety measure etc! All of this to go outside and meet a customer in his office who was in a room nearby and no masks were worn. I then went to Portlethen ASDA for petrol and noted a van with a home made sign, dishing out free LFT kits to all and sundry.

A rambling story of my morning but shows how some folk still have this virus inside their heads.

Edited by deegee

58 minutes ago, deegee said:

It’s still quite eye-opening to see how some folk and businesses are treating this in Scotland. Following on from work trip tonLondon yesterday, where am SNP MP was sitting next to me massless then entire flight as well her walk through Glasgow airport terminal, I had the reverse today when visiting a company near Aberdeen. There office is closed to visitors until you scan a QR code on a poster, fill in a questionnaire and then another health questionnaire.

When I entered the office, the receptionist (behind a glass screen) asked me to put on a mask and fill in another questionnaire and wear an ID tag. Which I had to pick up myself as a safety measure etc! All of this to go outside and meet a customer in his office who was in a room nearby and no masks were worn. I then went to Portlethen ASDA for petrol and noted a van with a Jaime made sign, dishing out free LFT kits to all and sundry.

A rambling story of my morning but shows some folk have this virus inside their heads still.

I live in England but travel to Scotland every month, and what is striking to me is the extent to which the pandemic still seems to dominate every day life in Scotland whereas down south it feels all but over. 

24 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I live in England but travel to Scotland every month, and what is striking to me is the extent to which the pandemic still seems to dominate every day life in Scotland whereas down south it feels all but over. 

Yip; I was in Dublin last week with work and was surprised to see not a mask inside Dublin airport and they’ve moved on, despite being at times, as bonkers as us with their rules. It goes without saying that England have moved on. Even the police in the airport in London had no masks nor did 99% of staff and passengers.

I heard a doctor on the radio the other day (BBC London) saying, in response to Nicola’s extension to mask- wearing, that omnicrom was actually the best “vaccine” as it was relatively mild and gave the very best immunity. Compare and contrast to some other nations, who have a fetish over preventing a cold in most cases.

23 hours ago, Elixir said:

With Italy set to scrap all their junk at the end of April, it is humiliating that the last of things in Scotland will only stop a few weeks before the most extreme places in all of Europe, and months behind our Northern European neighbours. The Scottish Government have made us look like a tinpot joke.

Can't you cheers us all up with news of a soaring death toll in Korea or somewhere?

So which European countries apart from Scotland are still mandating masks?

I know that Greece still are in all indoor areas.

Edit: Still a fair number are requiring masks. COVID in Europe: An updated list of travel restrictions for every European country | Euronews

Edited by Suspect Device

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Indeed.

^^^Posted in the covid thread.

Lost on no one that he’s regularly checking to see who’s still sharing his views, just a little more zealously than he thinks is appropriate. 

The adult in the room. 

53 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

So which European countries apart from Scotland are still mandating masks?

I know that Greece still are in all indoor areas.

Edit: Still a fair number are requiring masks. COVID in Europe: An updated list of travel restrictions for every European country | Euronews

I hope unvaccinated Russians are still abiding by the Ukrainian 14 day quarantine rule. 

14 hours ago, Donathan said:

I truly fear, even in the coming months, that there is such a high percentage of people in Scotland brainwashed by the SNP's rhetoric over the past two years that they will keep the pandemic theatre going long after it is required, not least because they are effectively still recommended to do so. As a result we will remain miles behind pretty much everywhere else in moving on from this, as we have done throughout.

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I truly fear, even in the coming months, that there is such a high percentage of people in Scotland brainwashed by the SNP's rhetoric over the past two years that they will keep the pandemic theatre going long after it is required, not least because they are effectively still recommended to do so. As a result we will remain miles behind pretty much everywhere else in moving on from this, as we have done throughout.

Honestly, mate, I don't think you need to worry.

For the majority you can tell they are already over it all - mask compliance is already way down, track and trace etc isn't a thing, and no-one seems even remotely interested in trying to get people to comply.

I think the only person who doesn't realise this is NS.

Was on the rush hour train into Glasgow Central yesterday, everyone standing up at the doors waiting for the train to pull into the platform, as you normally see when a train is pulling into the final stop.

Women across from me kept backing up, because I wasn’t wearing a mask. She literally pointed at me and said to the guy next to her, I need to keep my distance from him

She looked genuinely terrified. 

Didnt say anything but all I could think was how miserable must your life be living with that kind of fear. 

Also you probably shouldn’t be getting on a busy train to go into a busy city centre if you’re that scared. 

12 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Was on the rush hour train into Glasgow Central yesterday, everyone standing up at the doors waiting for the train to pull into the platform, as you normally see when a train is pulling into the final stop.

Women across from me kept backing up, because I wasn’t wearing a mask. She literally pointed at me and said to the guy next to her, I need to keep my distance from him

Didnt say anything but all I could think was how miserable must your life be living with that kind of fear. 

Also you probably shouldn’t be getting on a busy train to go into a busy city centre if you’re that scared. 

Couple of coughs and she’d be out the nearest window.

11 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

These people are fucked come the 4th of April. Amusingly, however, there will be a high percentage of them that will stop acting like this overnight, because the nice dentist told them it was safe now.

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

These people are fucked come the 4th of April. Amusingly, however, there will be a high percentage of them that will stop acting like this overnight, because the nice dentist told them it was safe now.

Tbh that’s my other half and her family to a tee. She insists she needs to wear one as “it’s the rules” etc, with no thought that she didn’t bother for a minute when we were in England last month. Her family are big on SNP (although she grudgingly agrees the rules since summer 2020 have no sense or science). 

There will be a core of neurotic and hypochondriac folks who will remain terrified of their shadows for some time I suspect  but hopefully most folk just drop this horrible mask theatre asap.

I will miss some things about wearing a mask. The main one will be pulling a bandana over my face as I walk into a shop and feeling like I’m in a cool heist movie about to pull off an ingenious diamond robbery, when I am actually going into Sainsburys to buy some courgettes.

44 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I will miss some things about wearing a mask. The main one will be pulling a bandana over my face as I walk into a shop and feeling like I’m in a cool heist movie about to pull off an ingenious diamond robbery, when I am actually going into Sainsburys to buy some courgettes.

One of the daftest conspiracy theories about Covid was about tracking us while we're all wearing masks. Masks were great though for nipping to the corner shop for a pint of milk on a Sunday morning, unshaved and unwashed.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

There's been a couple of games at Broadwood where the facemask I had in my pocket was the only thing that saved me from a frostbitten nose.