Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Netherlands went into a lockdown on 18th December 2021 and came out on 26th Jan 2022

The red shaded area in the first graph below shows the period for which restrictions were in place. As you can see, they had precisely zero effect on the case trajectory, which began climbing during lockdown, and then continued climbing once lockdown ended. In fact, infections didn’t peak until February 12th – another two and a half weeks later.

Over 70% of the population is double vaccinated.

Comparing with the U.K., there is no difference in the shape of the graphs.

In fact, reported infections per million people peaked at a much lower level in the U.K. than they did in the Netherlands – 2,600 compared to 7,300.

Lockdowns don’t work

A724EF08-E881-46D4-880E-1823E0FE95F8.jpeg

3049AF22-F371-4986-8BE0-73980F54074E.jpeg

Edited by Captain Saintsible

1 hour ago, 101 said:

As an example a whole load of folk destroyed the sunflower lanyard scheme, I would argue for selfish reasons.

There was not one valid reason to be exempt from wearing a face covering in 2020 - considering that the shite, sweaty tat that passed under the legislation did not even remotely restrict breathing. The sunflower lanyard was from the very beginning then a giant special treatment con 'becos oh mah asssma', directed at others who were reluctantly willing to tolerate a temporary restriction until vaccines and medicine predictably cigared it. Which the vaccines did, more than a year ago. 

The Venn diagram between people who used sunflower lanyards, those who opt for the SG's utterly pathetic 'safety lanyard' scheme, and those who support indefinite lockdowns on the rest of society would make for interesting viewing. 

"Clarity over UK funding  is needed...before plans....are confirmed" is the key but there.
Sturgeon can want this all she likes but we have no money for this and Boris is unlikely to pay for it.

It's just mass testing that's going in England- Johnson's statement did say it would be retained for specific sectors - Sturgeon's targeted testing sounds exactly the same.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Presumably so the when first case of the next variant is confirmed in the UK before the 21st of March she can say 'right masks and vaccine passports are mandatory again'.

She's given herself a months wiggle room as she probably believes cases will rise again before then.

Technically they are rising right now in Scotland, which is kind of funny.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, oaksoft said:
"Clarity over UK funding  is needed...before plans....are confirmed" is the key but there.
Sturgeon can want this all she likes but we have no money for this and Boris is unlikely to pay for it.

It's just mass testing that's going in England- Johnson's statement did say it would be retained for specific sectors - Sturgeon's targeted testing sounds exactly the same.

It's almost like the bald, speccy tube is desperately trying to put a positive spin on things and show that they're going above and beyond once the hose is siphoned off!

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

There you go with this "selfish" thing again.

You can say this as much as you like but it doesn't make you right.

Everyone is selfish. I don't know how often this needs to be re-iterated.

We all prioritise ourselves and our families above anyone else.

I'm not disagreeing about the benefits of humans getting together for the good of everyone but it's all based in selfishness as well. All of it. If there was nothing in it for folk personally they wouldn't get involved. Altruism doesn't exist. This selfless society you seem to crave simply doesn't exist outside the land of unicorns and magic money trees.

Some people are some people aren't.

I've been lucky to meet lots of selfless people, maybe that do that because it makes them feel better but they are committed to the betterment of something or others and although they must get satisfaction out it I wouldn't call that selfish.

For example rich people that pay normal levels of tax, people fawn over them when of course those who don't should be derided and loop holes closed.

48 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Are we though?

What's the first thing people did when the internet and PC gaming arrived?

They stopped calling people on the phone for chats, they stopped meeting up as much, when they do meet up they're all glued to their phones.

The fact that we needed legal mandates to force mask wearing should be telling you everything you need to know about what people really think.

If people were truly sociable, they wouldn't roundly despise being around others on public transport. They would talk to each other. We wouldn't need "friendship groups" to be created. Loneliness wouldn't be a thing. We'd be more supportive of differences.

As I said above, I think your vision of humanity doesn't exist and it never has done.

My first experience of video gaming was playing with my pals.

Plenty of people aren't glued to their phones when the meet other folk and what are they doing on their phones? Likely scrolling through social media to cram as much interactions with others that they can or conversely seeking validation.

You only feel lonely if you want to be with others surely? How could you feel bad about being alone if you you didn't like social interaction.

People go on holidays with random folk either deliberately, Inter-railing or as a necessity like cruises. Most people hate public transport because they are commuting. Never seen folk complain about traveling about with their pals or on their own for social reasons. 

Maybe I've been what I think as is lucky with my interactions and you have also found what you are looking for? Our experiences are different.

Anyway we are off topic. Covid has been bad maybe it would be good to learn from it and make the world a wee bit better if we can 🤷🏻‍♂️

24 minutes ago, 101 said:

Some people are some people aren't.

I've been lucky to meet lots of selfless people, maybe that do that because it makes them feel better but they are committed to the betterment of something or others and although they must get satisfaction out it I wouldn't call that selfish.

For example rich people that pay normal levels of tax, people fawn over them when of course those who don't should be derided and loop holes closed.

My first experience of video gaming was playing with my pals.

Plenty of people aren't glued to their phones when the meet other folk and what are they doing on their phones? Likely scrolling through social media to cram as much interactions with others that they can or conversely seeking validation.

You only feel lonely if you want to be with others surely? How could you feel bad about being alone if you you didn't like social interaction.

People go on holidays with random folk either deliberately, Inter-railing or as a necessity like cruises. Most people hate public transport because they are commuting. Never seen folk complain about traveling about with their pals or on their own for social reasons. 

Maybe I've been what I think as is lucky with my interactions and you have also found what you are looking for? Our experiences are different.

Anyway we are off topic. Covid has been bad maybe it would be good to learn from it and make the world a wee bit better if we can 🤷🏻‍♂️

You'll never fit all that on a birthday card.

Edited by strichener

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Ooft!

Iceland actually have the honesty to say what every other political leader is pretending not to support.

Every developed country appears to have now realised that herd immunity was the only option after all once vaccines were in place.

Seriously, the government should be trawling this thread for their next set of expert advisors. Quite frankly, I'm losing count of the number of things we've all been saying on here for 2 years that have eventually come to pass. Not bad for a bunch of keyboard warriors who spent 3 minutes on research as @KingRocketman IIso eloquently put it yesterday. We'd be a lot cheaper than those suits from Harvard as well. 🤣

Iceland fired their bankers in jail as well. The Psycho Brigade will be turning on them now, though!

Remember when 'TheJTS98' I think it was, and a few others, were going off on one about how incredible East Asia, Australia and New Zealand were? It was around the time of the unethical experiment that jeopardised world health. Halcyon days.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Went for my antigen test for flying to the US tomorrow and got the results back within an hour as 'unclear'. Randox then said I'd need to pay for another one and it'd need to be a PCR rapid test which I done but in the meantime I went elsewhere and got another antigen because I didn't trust them not to mess it up. So another £80 down and I'll complain to Randox when I'm back home but lesson for the day is anyone travelling to the US and needing the test the day before book it for the morning as if you do it late on and get an unclear result back after everywhere is shut then you're possibly fucked.

Cheers, I'm away in a fortnight. Booked for a lloyds pharmacy for the morning before to give us a chance if there's any anomalies. 

23 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I'm confused by this tbh. The article claims she has spent most of the pandemic shielding, yet, now restrictions are being lifted she wants them back so she can feel safe and get out and about to help the economy etc etc.

But, given she clearly doesn't feel safe even with the restrictions in place (else she would have spent less time shielding), what difference would bringing them back be?

It's unfortunate for her, but, just like people who have severe but less common allergies (for example) the onus falls on those individuals to make adjustments to their daily lives keep themselves safe, not everybody else.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I'm confused by this tbh. The article claims she has spent most of the pandemic shielding, yet, now restrictions are being lifted she wants them back so she can feel safe and get out and about to help the economy etc etc.

But, given she clearly doesn't feel safe even with the restrictions in place (else she would have spent less time shielding), what difference would bringing them back be?

She’s the same as every other shielder that’s been interviewed in the last couple of days.

None of them are aware enough to see they’ve constructed a nonsensical argument.

Public health experts in Scotland say it’s now time for a re-think, given the risks to health, and say Covid pub closures should act as a catalyst for change.

The UK Government is considering proposals to restrict pub hours and has suggested banning alcohol sales from 4am to 8am, however the Scottish Government say it has no plans to license pubs.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19941667.scotland-urged-end-airport-breakfast-pints-licensing-laws-post-covid-change/

Dr Linda de Caestecker, Glasgow’s director of public health, said the current laws were contributing to the normalisation of “drinking to mark every social occasion” and called for wider choices of healthy food and drink.

Who do these c**ts actually think they are? Thankfully, on this occasion the Scottish Government have told the public health lobby (and Scottish Licensed Trade Association) to go and f**k themselves.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I think the problem here is that you are being selective in your definition of selfish. The selfish bit is where they wouldn't do those things if they didn't get SOMETHING out of it. That is the human condition whether we like it or not. 

The definition you're struggling to arrive at, is a bit hackneyed and daft.   Christ, there's even a Friends episode premised round it.

If certain people are more likely to get SOMETHING out of helping others in an apparently selfless way, does this not surely suggest that their motivations are less intrinsically selfish?

It's not rare for individualistic types to suggest they're simply doing what is entirely natural.  In a satisfyingly neat way of course, such a view is entirely self serving. 

13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/19941667.scotland-urged-end-airport-breakfast-pints-licensing-laws-post-covid-change/

Who do these c**ts actually think they are? Thankfully, on this occasion the Scottish Government have told the public health lobby (and Scottish Licensed Trade Association) to go and f**k themselves.

What’s the link to covid here?

This story pops up every few years anyway, like the OF joining the premier league.