Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, Scosha said:

Dunno if it was just a coincidence or not but was in Nando’s this evening in Glasgow and not a mask to be seen amongst any customers coming and going. 

Went to the cinema at the weekend (Dunfermline) and popped into pizza hut before hand. Still had to scan a QR code when entering and staff insisted we put on our masks. They were also not accepting cash for payment. At the cinema, next to no one wearing masks. 

49 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm getting really fed up with these types of people. I'm sorry for anyone with any underlying health problems which might put them at greater risk should they catch Covid but why is there a proportion of these people who feel that those who are fit and healthy should continue to have their lives restricted to "protect" them? It's never been the way of things before and it shouldn't be now.

People from all walks of life need to take responsibility for themselves. If you feel safe doing something, go for it. If you don't then give it a miss. It really is that simple - things are starting to move on whether some like it or not. Those who don't will just be left behind.

The reality is that post vaccines, treatments and the shan cold variant, Covid is no greater threat to the lives of the clinically vulnerable than countless other infectious diseases out there. I don't recall us shutting down and setting the economy on fire every flu season though, because that would be wildly disproportionate.

Their terror of the big bad 'rona is not even remotely rational anymore. The rest of society moving on might help them see that but it's not everyone else's job to mollycoddle them. 

51 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Those who don't will just be left behind.

Much bigger question, but is this fair. 

I'm not so sure it is. However don't think that the measures that have been in place for the last 2 years are very good.

Masks, for example, are terrible for deaf people who lip read.

Vaccines without doubt are the best protection and there does need to be a proper information campaign to encourage people back into society to counter the public ads of the last 2 years. No just for the economy but also for their mental health.

But I do think people with genuine concerns have them addressed by their doctors in the first instance and if their concerns are genuine then I think changes should be made. 

However I think one of the greatest possible protections would be ensuring people don't work when they are sick or worry about work when they are sick and that requires 100% statutory sick pay.

People talk about personal responsibility that tends to assume people have the means to act responsibly, I do worry that following the pandemic there is an increasing number of people who have a highly individualist approach to life.

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan, keeping more than 2m apart today.

Cringe. Happy to invade other countries but scared of the sniffles.

Him and Xi both seem paranoid about getting the Hugo Chazev treatment.

One of the weirder things I learned during all of this is that some of the American scientists working at the Wuhan lab were previously researching gain of function research into viruses that cause cancer.

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I really hope they didn’t introduce them as that 

They’re not a community or a minority facing persecution here 

From memory one was the head of a shielder's advocacy group and the other was an ordinary shielder. 

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm getting really fed up with these types of people. I'm sorry for anyone with any underlying health problems which might put them at greater risk should they catch Covid but why is there a proportion of these people who feel that those who are fit and healthy should continue to have their lives restricted to "protect" them? It's never been the way of things before and it shouldn't be now.

We’ve been getting vaccinated 

That is what protects people 

As for make, I said it on here before in tongue in cheek, but if you weren’t going to ban the people who are “mask exempt” from going out into crowded places, then what is the point is making the rest of us wear them since anyone could opt out of it for whatever reason they wanted 

Had to laugh when Sturgeon mentioned that people involved in "Track and Trace" would be losing their jobs.  Pity she did not show the same compassion to those in the hospitality industry when she repeatedly shafted them.
Track and Trace... A call centre that has existed for less than 2 years.

It's slightly ironic that a large number of the Track & Trace workers only started working there after losing their previous jobs due to various Covid measures.

Sturgeon didn't seem to give to give a toss about these people previously when she was shutting down sectors of the economy and begging for money to close even more. It's rich of her try and use them now to highlight how reckless the Tories are apparently being.

12 hours ago, Scosha said:

Dunno if it was just a coincidence or not but was in Nando’s this evening in Glasgow and not a mask to be seen amongst any customers coming and going. 

Sounds extra cheeky.

3 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Had to laugh when Sturgeon mentioned that people involved in "Track and Trace" would be losing their jobs.  Pity she did not show the same compassion to those in the hospitality industry when she repeatedly shafted them.

I think you'll find she makes no apologies for keeping people safe!

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

BBC Scotland this morning interviewed two folk from the shielding community. 

I wasn't expecting quite so much anger, but the two who were on were furious. As far as they see it, removing these "protections" is discriminating against the disabled. It's a human rights violation.

This will be why Sturgeon has been dreading this moment for so long. Knowing it will be seen as an act of betrayal for these people. Nae luck.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Imagine spending years at university, learning. Imagine then getting a prized place as a PhD student. Then imagine that your job is to collect and count hamster sperm. 

Full on, SAS style counterterrorism suit respirator. Absolute mutant.

It's worth noting that we never saw scenes like in Hong Kong in recent weeks on ole 'Plague Island'. It's almost like the reality of mitigation and not the pursuit of fantasy elimination was the only option. I wonder if that will ever become apparent to certain grifting scientists.

Beijing will also be absolutely shitting it over this potentially happening all over mainland China. You have to wonder if they'll truly become North Korea esque in terms of no-one in or out for years to come because of it, or if they'll let the inevitable happen after the CCP congress later this year.