Coronavirus (COVID-19)

What is this pish?  Show me your workings on how the SG preventions were the most cost effective way of managing Covid-19.  Please ensure that you include lost economic output, increased government expenditure and reduced taxation in you undoubtedly detailed explanation of how prevention was cheaper.
If the above is too much effort then just explain to me how insisting on testing school aged children was cheaper than just letting them catch Covid and being off school for a few days.  That should be easier for you to explain.
You do realise he's talking about targeted testing for the care sector?

57 minutes ago, ddfg said:

Someone has to last, might as well be us 

Wouldn't surprise me, tbh.

56 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

In fairness I reckon that’s where we are about to go. Eg - retained legally in health settings.

You just know her and her pally advisers are absolutely loathing having to climbdown. Another week to go until the 'strategic framework'. If it includes utter guff like case rates and trigger points for implementing or removing masks and vaxx passes etc then they need removed from office immediately.

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Wouldn't surprise me, tbh.

You just know her and her pally advisers are absolutely loathing having to climbdown. Another week to go until the 'strategic framework'. If it includes utter guff like case rates and trigger points for implementing or removing masks and vaxx passes etc then they need removed from office immediately.

Humza was saying on Sunday morning that automatic triggers were pointless so god knows what it will contain.

29 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Humza was saying on Sunday morning that automatic triggers were pointless so god knows what it will contain.

They’ll be frantically re-writing it and not at all as it was intended to be. Eg; with metrics for measures to be removed.

They’ve been caught out by indecision and procrastination, to the point where their framework becomes redundant.

They thought they had a good few more months of “care more” out of this, but all the grown up countries have raced ahead of them, making them look like the tinpot amateurs they are.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

3 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

They’ll be frantically re-writing it and not at all as it was intended to be. Eg; with metrics for measures to be removed.

They’ve been caught out by indecision and procrastination, to the point where their framework becomes redundant.

They thought they had a good few more months of “care more” out of this, but all the grown up countries have raced ahead of them, making them look like the tinpot amateurs they are.

Absolutely 100% this. It is utterly tragic. I'm sure their 12 re-drafts will be based on The Science and not the rest of Europe making them look utterly irrelevant.

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

0_Harry-Maguire.png

Could add Finland, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary. Even the psychos in Austria have announced a major scale back and climbdown.

Edit: Iceland and the Faroe Islands an aw.

Edited by Elixir

JCVI now trying to shift the goalposts in claiming that it's no big deal getting a child vaccinated or not, having been fully on board with shaming, guilt-tripping and ultimately co-ercing young adults with shan vaccine passports. Because one group's community transmission requires policing by the state, but another conveniently does not!

They can get stuffed for any future 'contribution' to the debate then. A bunch of utter charlatans.

Edited by vikingTON

JCVI now trying to shift the goalposts in claiming that it's no big deal getting a child vaccinated or not, having been fully on board with shaming, guilt-tripping and ultimately co-ercing young adults with shan vaccine passports. Because one group's community transmission requires policing by the state, but other conveniently does not!
They can get stuffed for any future 'contribution' to the debate then. A bunch of utter charlatans.
Vaccines were great for all when they came out in terms of getting through a really bad phase of the pandemic.

They continue to be great for the elderly and vulnerable.

But Omicron has absolutely moved the goalposts in terms of covid (thankfully) and now the obsession with vaccinating all and sundry carries very little weight to my mind.

My 11 year old does not want it. I will not be forcing or coercing her into getting it. 

If she changes her mind that's another matter. I will take her if she wants to go, like I did with her brother. 

Edited by scottsdad

The benefit of vaccinating 5-11 year olds seem tiny. 

It's apparent the vaccines are not stopping transmission now. They are however very good at keeping people out of hospital and saving lives; they therefore are not going to do much in an age group that generally does not suffer from severe infections. For the clinically vulnerable in this age group it absolutely makes sense to vaccinate them, but for the others it seems a very marginal gain.

I'm only glad my daughter is not 5 until 2023 so I don't have to make a call on this. I am really not comfortable with giving her the vaccine (I myself am triple jagged) and she is far too young to understand this all. 

I see they are looking for volunteers for a trial of a modded "Omicron variant" vaccine.

My question is "why?" - the current vaccines handle Shanicron to the point it doesn't cause serious illness rather well, and we have 100s of millions of doses already ordered.

Any excuse to milk more money from Governments.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see they are looking for volunteers for a trial of a modded "Omicron variant" vaccine.

My question is "why?" - the current vaccines handle Shanicron to the point it doesn't cause serious illness rather well, and we have 100s of millions of doses already ordered.

Any excuse to milk more money from Governments.

Seems like a massive waste of time, went looking for it and ended up here instead 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00003-y?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=nature&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1644879093

I have no idea of the credibility of "nature.com" but it seems reasonable on the face of it. 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Nature is one of the most highly credible general scientific journals in the world.

That doesn't stop them publishing absolute shite from time to time but that's a journal most scientists want to get published in.

And if a scientist DOES get published in there, my God you won't hear the end of it from them. You'd think they had won a Nobel Prize.

Have to say, I never saw the attraction. One good peer-reviewed journal is as good as another IMO. Never saw the point in wasting over a year trying to get into Nature when you can get published in 6 weeks in any number of other credible places.

If they keep restrictions to keep us safe then good luck expecting people to listen to any of it when the whole of UK and most of Europe are starting to remove them. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

We're both triple vaccinated and I still managed to test positive about 3 weeks ago. We were due to go to New York the following week and had started doing LFT's as we had to get a negative preflight test. Before the end of the week our three surviving parents, all with health issues and age against them had it. The most common symptom was heavy legs and a cough but I've been to work feeling a lot worse and thankfully everyone is back to normal. 

On the basis of this extensive study I would suggest Omicron is highly infectious and not too serious. If only some experts from South Africa had predicted this outcome a few months ago we'd have been saved from another winter of discontent. 

My only other comment would relate to how quickly I got settled into being quarantined in the house and whilst I'm back out and about I can see why some people could easily get into a position of feeling "safe" at home and being quite happy for restrictions to continue.