Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Woman on radio shortbread 5 minutes ago saying children under 12 are being hospitalized up and down the country due to covid. Anyone got the figures on this?

Found the ONS figures (last week's data). Unsurprisingly, the facts do not support what is almost certainly garbage taken directly from Deepti Gurdasani's twitter feed and repeated. 

Screenshot_20220127-173616_Chrome.jpg

20 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Woman on radio shortbread 5 minutes ago saying children under 12 are being hospitalized up and down the country due to covid. Anyone got the figures on this?

The stats on overall admissions don't show anything, but I think that's probably just because so few children have been admitted prior to Omicron, and even though they are rising, they're still tiny compared to other admissions. 

19 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

And you actually believe his story? 

Not sure why he would lie about it and there would be plenty hospital staff to leak the truth. He was bragging about shaking hands with Covid patients without a mask before he was hospitalised so if anything you'd think he'd minimise it out of embarrassment.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Know what I miss? Seeing an idiot wearing one of those visors. Fucking idiots, they always brightened up my day and reminded me how stupid some people can be.

I still see the odd loon wearing them. Absolutely oblivious to the fact there is a massive space up the sides and at the front for cOvId to attack them. They'd be better off wearing nowt than that piece of crap 

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The for/from one wasn't really to do with spelling, was it?

No.  It was to do with using a mobile, fat fingers and autocorrect.  Perhaps you could get a job with Google to improve it.  (Autocorrect obvs. not my spelling).  

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Why do politicians always get photographed jogging but never lifting weights?

#cardio

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

This is how to easily identify bad faith actors. Bairns in hospital because of ole rona isn't even close to typical admissions for other illnesses.

The above will also be climbing more with Omicron naturally as a result of greater transmission in the community. It would be good to have a distinction between kids actually unwell and those who have it but are in for broken wrists.

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Two changes will be made to Scotland's Covid restrictions from Friday, January 28.

• Social distancing measures will be reduced from two metres to one in indoor settings where people have a specific exemption from the need to wear a face covering - such as those leading religious services or carrying out receptionist duties.
  • Adults taking part in organised activities for children will no longer be required to wear a face covering when they are directly interacting with kids under the age of five.

The First Minister said that change to latter of these rules will be of benefit to younger children and to those working with them.

Just read Pagel and Gurdasani both have gone Hunga Tonga over the last few days.

Primary school age children the only age group where COVID is not decreasing and the JCVI not approving the vaccines for all 5 to 11 year olds.

BOOM!

I had a look at 'zero covid' Twitter earlier and boy is it in a bad place. Lashing out at all and sundry and making laughable comparisons with HIV. Heads well and truly burst. 

Vaccinating kids seems like it will inevitably happen, but really I don't see it having a huge benefit. The vaccines, even with the boosters, are not really stopping people getting the virus now. It's not going to magically become different if you vaccinate children as well. 

They will reduce hospitalisations of children with covid, which is a good thing. But unlike the impression that we're being given by the fake sage and blue heart types, these hospitalisations are not exactly happening in huge numbers. It's a pretty small gain on terms of reducing daily hospitalisations.  

That's 3 LAs I work with plus another major public body issued emails over the last 24hrs advising staff they have no intention of considering a move away from the WFH position until at least 31 March when they will review the possibility of a phased move to a more hybrid model. The genie is well and truly out the bottle for WFH in the public sector at least. The way they work has changed for good, definitely a "new normal" emerging here. While my work involves a fair chunk of work with LAs it's not my job in it's entirety however I'm glad I am in the countdown to earlyish retirement. I've already accepted that WFH is going to be the default position but the thought of 10, 20 or more years of it would be depressing.
Despite Boris, Gove and others urging government departments to get back into the office, they are being roundly ignored. My sis in law works for HMRC and she has only been in the office about a dozen times since March 2020, and there is no sign of that changing anytime soon. She also used to travel for interdepartmental meetings, they've all now changed to Teams.

She would be delighted with hybrid working, she is fed up working alone at home.

28 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Despite Boris, Gove and others urging government departments to get back into the office, they are being roundly ignored. My sis in law works for HMRC and she has only been in the office about a dozen times since March 2020, and there is no sign of that changing anytime soon. She also used to travel for interdepartmental meetings, they've all now changed to Teams.

She would be delighted with hybrid working, she is fed up working alone at home.

First sign today of our blended working policy (1 day a week minimum) coming into effect soon.

I’ve been going in voluntarily once a week and would be there 4/5 days if I could, especially as our sprog is due in a few months and full time WFH then would be hellish.

Buzzing for the resultant strops when the ones who mewl about feeling unsafe in the office but who’ve been to every single team piss up have to drag their arses in.