Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Erm, why are there claims that the Scottish economy is now bigger than before the pandemic?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19875411.scottish-economy-now-bigger-pandemic/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/return-scottish-economy-pre-covid-26053192

What parts of the economy are they talking about here?

Some have obviously being doing well during the pandemic, but no mention who it is.

It's not the hospitality part of it anyway.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The boy should just be fired into the morgue now, then! Hurrah for public health!

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Erm, why are there claims that the Scottish economy is now bigger than before the pandemic?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19875411.scottish-economy-now-bigger-pandemic/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/return-scottish-economy-pre-covid-26053192

Some have obviously being doing well during the pandemic, but no mention who it is.

Even if it is overall, that won't take into account the loss of expected growth because of the shut downs.

The face mask gesturing happened last July as well. In the end absolutely nobody bothered their arse and half of shop workers didn't either. Pointless 'let's try and placate the unions' nonsense. We'll see a lot of this in the months ahead up here.

Could go either way tbh. No one bothering their arse, whilst corporate level of various organisations say the right things to placate a small element seems likely.

Realistically, providing masks and sanitiser for those who wish them at the door would be far enough for any right thinking person.

29 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Haven’t a proper clue , but just from personal observation, there seem to be an inordinate number of people doing Covid security type jobs around hospitals, supermarkets etc.

In addition there are lots of people doing ‘ test and protect’ type work. Presumably, they’ll be employed by outfits like Serco who’ll be coining it in.

In time I would imagine a lot of those jobs, thankfully, will disappear.

Although the statistic is probably correct, I wouldn’t get too excited about it.

55 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Good, they shouldn’t be just because you’re wearing a badge of concern

If I was that worried about being in close proximity with others I simply wouldn’t go to a restaurant and expect them to change the makeup of the place to suit me.

Is there a more selfish group of people than those who think normal life should be permanently altered just for them? Despite the three/four vaccine doses and being able to buy a full on gas mask on top of that if they see fit?

39 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I have no issue with Sainsburys mandating masks on its customers. Other supermarkets also ask people to shop in clothes other than pyjamas. 

Don't want to shop in England in a mask? Go somewhere else. Or get home delivery. 

This is a PR stunt - they're appealing to the mask-wearers who refuse to let them go. Fair enough. 

Or do as I do when shopping in my local Sainsburys. I chose not to wear a mask. No-one has batted an eye.

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

If I was that worried about being in close proximity with others I simply wouldn’t go to a restaurant and expect them to change the makeup of the place to suit me.

Aye there seems to be a lot of people who will do anything to avoid Covid unless it means changing their own lifestyle.

That Arthur Chu guy's meltdown was funny but understandable. If you've been a good consumer and followed all the lockdown restrictions, been as scared of catching Covid as the corporate politician appearing on your telly 7 nights a week told you to be and got all your jags there is supposed to be a prize at end of a Covid free future. Now it's clear that isn't going to happen it's the equivalent of the rug being pulled on them.

The media seem to be dialling down the fear on Long Covid with the Guardian running stories that people can be prescreened for propensity to it and that the vaccine reduces it. University educated white women are just going to have to go back to having ME and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

29 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You should see the state of the Reddit thread discussing it

You’d think Scotland isn’t one of the most vaccinated counties in the world reading some of these comment

The number of people who cannot get vaccinated must be minuscule in comparison to the general population 

Edit: Doesn’t matter if you’re at risk or not, it’s about peoples feelings 

“I'm fine with this because I'm not a psychopath who has no concern for others feelings. If it helps someone feel a little more comfortable I am more than happy to make a small adjustment.”

Edited by Clown Job

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

image.png.25ade40bac548b7a367b1585de2a2af0.png

No surprises to see this brought forward by Scotland's baldest, specciest tube. The government having the permanent power to order lockdowns with no parliamentary oversight is frankly terrifying. 

This is not an emergency situation any more. 

Edited by Michael W

29 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

You should see the state of the Reddit thread discussing it

You’d think Scotland isn’t one of the most vaccinated counties in the world reading some of these comment

The number of people who cannot get vaccinated must be minuscule in comparison to the general population 

Edit: Doesn’t matter if you’re at risk or not, it’s about peoples feelings 

“I'm fine with this because I'm not a psychopath who has no concern for others feelings. If it helps someone feel a little more comfortable I am more than happy to make a small adjustment.”

That’s actually quite tame by r/Scotland standards. You get the feeling the posters there never leave the house.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The government having the permenant power to order lockdowns with no parliamentary oversight is frankly terrifying. 

This absolutely must not be allowed to pass.

The SNP have to allow their MSPs a free vote on this given the importance. If not they are simply not fit to be in government.

13 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

This could probably go in the PTTGOYN thread as well but when your on a work call and your colleague ends it with "Stay Safe", now I know it's probably force of habit for some people but get that in the fuckin bin immediately 

Hope we’re all testing negative 🤞

20 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

This could probably go in the PTTGOYN thread as well but when your on a work call and your colleague ends it with "Stay Safe", now I know it's probably force of habit for some people but get that in the fuckin bin immediately 

They've probably heard of your hooring and touring exploits and are just looking out for you tbh.