Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Glennie said:

another fucked up clip from the WEF sessions going on now

this time WEF 'young leader' Ardern

That's not going on right now it's from 2019.  

I agree with Lester, she is not "grinning like a Cheshire cat" She always looks like that and yes it is down to the prominence of her teeth.

39 minutes ago, Elixir said:

'Public health' in action.

What difference does it make if you've been vaccinated but your immune system is then being suppressed anyway? I'm sure this isn't ideologically driven by Democrat psychos...

"It has to do with trying to make sure that very scarce hearts are used in a way that maximizes the chance that recipients live. The political ideology that you are discriminating is getting confused with basic biology," he said.

Research has suggested that transplant patients who become sick with the coronavirus have a 20 to 30 percent chance of dying, a rate that is considerably higher than the rest of the population, which sits at 1.6 percent, The Guardian reported.

A study published last summer by researchers at the University of California San Diego also found that organ transplant recipients who are vaccinated before receiving surgery were 80 percent less likely to become infected with COVID-19, as compared to their unvaccinated counterparts.

https://www.newsweek.com/unvaccinated-man-taken-off-transplant-list-reignites-patient-debate-1672783

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I agree with Lester, she is not "grinning like a Cheshire cat" She always looks like that and yes it is down to the prominence of her teeth.

Always thought she could eat an apple through a letterbox

parent jumps through all the hoops to offer his kid to the covid hysteria gods

finally after 21 months dawns on parent that this is inhumae bs

rather than growing a spine take responsibility and say "no", parent demands that 'we' stopped.

another servile halfwit waiting for other people, permission from politicians

image.png.f28b88482c360aa6202032893fe27ee6.png

No it doesn't. 
From Nosgrove's response.
"It would also be correct to say that the prevalence of COVID-19 was around one percentage point higher in England than in Scotland."  So he's agreeing with what Rennie claimed.
He's said they're both correct in their figures basically.  He also states that the rate of infection is lower in Scotland than England but that was never in dispute.
Whether you think it should have been presented as 1 percentage point higher than Scotland or 20% higher than Scotland is open to interpretation but it's no surprise to see politicians present the stat that most favourably supports their position as someone previously said.

Of course politicians will select according to their bias however Rennie's point of contention in his correspondence was

At yesterday’s First Minister’s Questions, the First Minister stated: “The Office for National Statistics figures this week show that infection levels in England are over 20 per cent higher than those in Scotland”.

However, ONS figures state that 1 in 20 people were infected in both Scotland and England in the week ending 15 January. They also state that the estimated average percentage of the population that had COVID-19 in Scotland was 4.49% compared to 5.47% – a difference of less than 1%.

Infections were over 20% more, as I mentioned above the difference would represent 500000 fewer infections in England if they had the same rate as Scotland. This is not an insignificant amount however probably has less meaning in the Omicron wave.

Rennie is just wasting other people's time.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

thanks for the date info. the main point is that she says this but imposes lunacy on a whole population

shes clearly smiling and has a giggle though agree the teeth do make it worse

23 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

See also - Priti Patel always being accused of smirking. It’s just the way her face sits and an unintentional expression. That Sturgeon scowl on the other hand…

Edited by Abdul_Latif

Just now, oaksoft said:

What you're proving here is that you can present statistics in whatever way sends out the strongest case for your particular message.

She could have said 1% more in absolute terms or 20% more in relative terms.

I'll leave others to decide for themselves why she went for the latter?

BTW, you could have presented that 1% argument as either 50,000 in Scotland or 500,000 in England and whilst technically you'd be correct in both cases, one sends out a very different message than the other. Which of those numbers you use tells everyone about the story you want to tell people who you know are largely arithmetically illiterate. It's just another form of government spin.

It could be 5m cases and it would make no difference to public health given the hospitalisation and mortality rate from Omicron.

Absolute or relative numbers make no difference to Nicola as they are not what is driving her Covid policy, that much is clear.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Did this actually happen?

I very much suspect not.....someone looking for attention.

What got my atttention was that she drove 18 miles to Paignton....then later on states "had to burn 5 gallons of petrol".....she needs to focus on getting a more economical car than writing make-believe facebook posts.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Face mask theatre to continue in England with sainsburys keeping it in place in their stores after legal requirement lifted, expect others to follow as nothing more than a PR exercise. 

You'd assume these big companies have done research and know what they're doing.  I'm surprised, however, that such a decision would represent good PR.

If true, I suppose it establishes that most of what appears on here is still way out of step with wider opinion, even in much lauded England.

That, of course, is not to say that public opinion must be right.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You'd assume these big companies have done research and know what they're doing.  I'm surprised, however, that such a decision would represent good PR.

If true, I suppose it establishes that most of what appears on here is still way out of step with wider opinion, even in much lauded England.

That, of course, is not to say that public opinion must be right.

My guess would be that their research suggests a large portion of people are indifferent/tolerate it plus a significant minority are genuinely put off going to their shops by people not wearing masks. 

Add into the mix that they’re unlikely to do much to actually enforce mask wearing and I’d say to them it’s a fairly cheap way of showing how safety conscious and caring they are without really doing much. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Face mask theatre to continue in England with sainsburys keeping it in place in their stores after legal requirement lifted, expect others to follow as nothing more than a PR exercise. 

I was in an ASDA in England on Monday who had removed almost all of the (previously very prominent) posters regarding face coverings ahead of the relaxation today.

Face mask wearing was noticeably down on the previous visit.

Nobody seemed to be bothered either way.

It is, of course, up to Sainsbury's whether they want to make people wear face masks or not, however I don't imagine they will be punting people out for not wearing one, making it a pointless exercise.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I have no issue with Sainsburys mandating masks on its customers. Other supermarkets also ask people to shop in clothes other than pyjamas. 

Don't want to shop in England in a mask? Go somewhere else. Or get home delivery. 

This is a PR stunt - they're appealing to the mask-wearers who refuse to let them go. Fair enough.