Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I see Nicola Sturgeon has been cleared by the UK Statistics Authority after being reported last week by Willie Rennie over her use of COVID data.
https://news.stv.tv/politics/sturgeon-criticises-rennie-after-being-cleared-by-uk-stats-watchdog

I saw the response from David Nosgrove on their website yesterday and my first though was these guys must really really hate politicians.

Wasting time to score a point when in fact the data was presented clearly and Rennie could easily have interpreted it himself.

These organisations should get a joker card where several times a year they can officially tell people to 'get fvcked' with impunity.

Interesting update below from Dr John Campbell on the number of deaths recorded where Covid was the only recorded cause of death. The data which has been supplied by the ONS in response to an FOI is only for England and Wales but it would not appear unreasonable to think that pro-rata the reductions in headline figures would be similar in Scotland. 

Every death is to be regretted however the difference in numbers is quite stark compared to the overall figures quoted on a daily basis and to a sceptic may be further evidence of a manipulation of the general public to have them comply with a fear driven agenda. 

https://youtu.be/9UHvwWWcjYw

Anybody else get this email? Looks dodgy to me. When you hover over the link, it doesn't point you to an official NHS site. Not that I want the pass anyway and it appears to be from NHS England. Wonder what the scam is.

image.png.69182b0675c1ba08a3b5b1dbe0cd9091.png

Edited by Suspect Device

48 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Anybody else get this email? Looks dodgy to me. When you hover over the link, it doesn't point you to an official NHS site. Not that I want the pass anyway and it appears to be from NHS England. Wonder what the scam is.

That’s a dreadful effort. 

At least some of these scammer put effort into their work to make it presentable. This is just lazy. 

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s a dreadful effort. 

At least some of these scammer put effort into their work to make it presentable. This is just lazy. 

I think the general idea is that if you fail to notice the website is so bad and complete it then you are an easy mark for further scams 😡

25 minutes ago, Snafu said:

i see Willie Rennie still believes he is correct.

Obviously the ref gave the wrong decision. :rolleyes:

It's one of those situations where both are correct and in the wrong.

The figures used by the SNP were disingenuous because they made it look like we in a far better position than England but it was marginal in reality.

There was a 21.8% difference between the 2 figures but they were both around 1 in 20.

5.47% is 21.8% bigger than 4.49%. Both of them were 'at it'. using the figures to suit their own agenda.

Edited by Suspect Device

It's one of those situations where both are correct and in the wrong.
The figures used by the SNP were disingenuous because they made it look like we in a far better position than England but it was marginal in reality.
There was a 21.8% difference between the 2 figures but they were both around 1 in 20.
5.47% is 21.8% bigger than 4.49%. Both of them were 'at it'. using the figures to suit their own agenda.
Nope, Rennie is wrong. It's that clear.

The response from Nosgrove who's representing the UK statistics authority states that clearly.

If England had the positivity rate if Scotland then that 1% point difference represents 500,000 infections.

It doesn't really make a difference in the Omicron wave however it is what it is.

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Couldn’t do her statement without a nod to never letting go of covid. 

Aye, she likes a nice wee nod when she thinks thinks people aren't seeing her point.

See also a condescending snigger when she doesn't see something that aligns with her thoughts.

She's a fucking wretch.

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

11 minutes ago, beardy said:

The response from Nosgrove who's representing the UK statistics authority states that clearly.

If England had the positivity rate if Scotland then that 1% point difference represents 500,000 infections.

It doesn't really make a difference in the Omicron wave however it is what it is.

1% of 5 million is 50,000. Not 500k.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

@joozy made a post that summed up the issue with what she was saying perfectly.  It is accurate but the framing makes the differences sound huge.

Here is a good explainer of this sort of thing by David Spiegalhalter

That's explains relevant increased risk to the individual well, but if you're talking about millions of people the difference becomes much more significant. A 20% increase to the 5% of the population needing treatment for bowel cancer has real consequences.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

That's explains relevant increased risk to the individual well, but if you're talking about millions of people the difference becomes much more significant. A 20% increase to the 5% of the population needing treatment for bowel cancer has significant consequences.

Not enough to stop me eating a bacon sandwich.

Not that I have one every day. I'm not that much of a fat b*****d.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Seems legit Barney, sign away bro.

images.jpeg-11.jpg

31 year old in Boston with a fucked heart is kicked off the top of the queue for a transplant because he refuses a Covid vaccine, reason being that they have to severely supress your immune system to get your body to accept a new heart so they'd rather give it to someone with a better chance of survival. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-26/boston-hospital-refuses-to-perform-heart-transplant-on-unvaccinated-patient

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

31 year old in Boston with a fucked heart is kicked off the top of the queue for a transplant because he refuses a Covid vaccine, reason being that they have to severely supress your immune system to get your body to accept a new heart so they'd rather give it to someone with a better chance of survival. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-01-26/boston-hospital-refuses-to-perform-heart-transplant-on-unvaccinated-patient

'Public health' in action.

What difference does it make if you've been vaccinated but your immune system is then being suppressed anyway? I'm sure this isn't ideologically driven by Democrat psychos...

16 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Genuinely bewildering how many people still appear to not understand this btw.

Is it any wonder we are in the shit we are with the likes of Brexit when we allow people with zero grasp of fairly basic statistics to vote on whether or not we should leave the EU?

brexit voters? 95% of people have been conned by, servile to covid hysteria for much of the last 21 months

including most on this forum

Edited by Glennie

1 hour ago, beardy said:

No it doesn't. 

From Nosgrove's response.

"It would also be correct to say that the prevalence of COVID-19 was around one percentage point higher in England than in Scotland."  So he's agreeing with what Rennie claimed.

He's said they're both correct in their figures basically.  He also states that the rate of infection is lower in Scotland than England but that was never in dispute.

Whether you think it should have been presented as 1 percentage point higher than Scotland or 20% higher than Scotland is open to interpretation but it's no surprise to see politicians present the stat that most favourably supports their position as someone previously said.