Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Am I understanding these statistics correctly? 0.09% of the population per annum over the past 2 years have been covid fatalities?

Of that number how many died of covid and how many are people who died who happened to have covid in the 28 days before their deaths?

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I had only seen him teeeted onto my timeline for cringe value. I Googled him and now see he was a controversial contestant on Jeopardy and became involved in ‘gamergate’. Strangely it seems his wife divorced him because his poor hygiene caused their home to become infested by ants.

I wonder what his P&B login is.

I'm fairly sure they made a doc about him and he comes across miserably with his wife doing everything while he lies on the couch and posts.

44 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The framing that instinctively bristling at state intervention impeding the choices of the individual is a wholly right-wing position is baffling to say the least. 

Didn't quite say that either.

Your use of the word "wholly" is problematic.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

So you disagree with yourself that simply wanting back the control of our lives to what it was pre pandemic is right wing thinking.

No, I'm disagreeing with the sentiment and with your suggestion that that would involve disagreeing with myself.

28 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

More importantly, if she genuinely did have 2/3rds support, she simply wouldn't be removing them all at this time.

It's also a rather selective statistic.

"⅔ of people supported restrictions i put in place to combat the threat of Omicron" doesn't give any information about many people still support them now, nor that you put the fear into people by greatly overestimating the threat.

19 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Genuinely bewildering how many people still appear to not understand this btw.

Is it any wonder we are in the shit we are with the likes of Brexit when we allow people with zero grasp of fairly basic statistics to vote on whether or not we should leave the EU?

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Is it any wonder we are in the shit we are with the likes of Brexit when we allow people with zero grasp of fairly basic statistics to vote on whether or not we should leave the EU?

@Granny Danger

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

In so avoiding just simply saying that both those on the left and in the center of political choice can also demand the end to the emergency powers and the resulting interference in our lives now that the once dangerous virus has now through mass vaccination and natural immune response in the majority of the population to nothing more than very mild symptoms to at worse a bad cold?

Why would I avoid simply saying that?

Sounds pretty sensible to me.

34 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I see Nicola Sturgeon has been cleared by the UK Statistics Authority after being reported last week by Willie Rennie over her use of COVID data.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/sturgeon-criticises-rennie-after-being-cleared-by-uk-stats-watchdog

Naughty naughty 

43 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I see Nicola Sturgeon has been cleared by the UK Statistics Authority after being reported last week by Willie Rennie over her use of COVID data.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/sturgeon-criticises-rennie-after-being-cleared-by-uk-stats-watchdog

Quite remarkable she says we shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to England when this whole conversation was brought about by her comparing us to… let me check my notes…yep, England.

Genuinely bewildering how many people still appear to not understand this btw.
The gross misrepresentation of stats on this thread is ridiculous.

Stuff that was explained in 2020 still getting blurted out.

Deaths vs Death lag /dry tinder/'of covid' vs with/cases vs hospitalization vs ICU / optimistic vs pessimistic models.

Fvck me there was a period where people were discussing that a third of scottish NHS staff were off sick at one time. Which was just an absurd reading of stats.

This thread is not the place for stats, there are much much better resources for that.